Eric Atreides

Migration | Universal/Illumination | December 22, 2023

https://deadline.com/2022/02/despicable-me-4-migration-get-release-dates-from-illumination-universal-1234956816/

Illumination and Universal have set release dates for their forthcoming animated films Migration and Despicable Me 4. The former original will be released wide on June 30, 2023, opening against the untitled fifth film in the Indiana Jones franchise from Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.

Migration is a modern-day comedy following a family of ducks who convince their over-protective father to go on the vacation of a lifetime as they attempt to migrate from New England, through New York City, and ultimately down to the Bahamas. Oscar nominee Benjamin Renner (Ernest et Célestine) is directing from an original screenplay by Mike White (School of Rock, The White Lotus), with Illumination founder Chris Meledandri producing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Surprisingly impressed with the director and writer picks. Is Illumination going to try and do a more serious, mature animated movie here?

I bet they’re still going the family comedy route, but it sounds like the type of family comedy has a chance of being less crude. Like how the comedy of Finding Nemo and Ratatouille were built on smart writing rather than cheap shots. That’s the vibe I get. So this is the first time I’m excited for an Illumination film in years!

Yeah, I highly doubt this is gonna be "serious / mature" any moreso than Pixar films are "serious / mature". Renner's prior directing work is all kid-friendly comedy, it's just of a more organic, character-driven nature than the usual Illumination MO of throwing jokes at the wall and hoping the kids laugh at a few of them and the parents buy some toys.

As far as Mike White goes I hope he's got a lot more creativity here than... The Emoji Movie 😬

Edited by AniNate

Surprised Universal didn’t make Trolls 3 the Christmas spot and it being so close to Migration as it’s a pre Thanksgiving opener. Honestly this is great for SpiderVerse and Elemental as less competition and one should move to late June.

• Like 1

https://www.previewfreemovies.com/invite/E8A9C10DD7675CF27793CB0C1C43D7D6?fbclid=IwAR1MDOy93jlnfGX7eL6M9CRbdjix34P4tfdQtC4EEeEelendwZqWOW5RvpY

Going to be called DUCKS

From Illumination Entertainment, the creators of Despicable Me, Minions and Sing, comes the all new animated movie Ducks, a modern-day comedy following a family of ducks who convince their over-protective father to go on the vacation of a lifetime as they attempt to migrate from New England, through New York City, and ultimately down to the Bahamas. 

The film is produced by Illumination founder Chris Meledandri and directed by Oscar® nominee Benjamin Renner (Ernest et Célestine) with an original screenplay by Mike White (School of Rock, White Lotus).  

Ducks features the voices of Danny DeVito (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia), Elizabeth Banks(The Lego Movies franchise; Pitch Perfect franchise), Kegan Michael Key (Schmigadoon!; Wendell & Wild), Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick; The Lovebirds), and Awkwafina (Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings; Crazy Rich Asians).

• Astonished 1

48 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

https://www.previewfreemovies.com/invite/E8A9C10DD7675CF27793CB0C1C43D7D6?fbclid=IwAR1MDOy93jlnfGX7eL6M9CRbdjix34P4tfdQtC4EEeEelendwZqWOW5RvpY

Going to be called DUCKS

From Illumination Entertainment, the creators of Despicable Me, Minions and Sing, comes the all new animated movie Ducks, a modern-day comedy following a family of ducks who convince their over-protective father to go on the vacation of a lifetime as they attempt to migrate from New England, through New York City, and ultimately down to the Bahamas. 

The film is produced by Illumination founder Chris Meledandri and directed by Oscar® nominee Benjamin Renner (Ernest et Célestine) with an original screenplay by Mike White (School of Rock, White Lotus).  

Ducks features the voices of Danny DeVito (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia), Elizabeth Banks(The Lego Movies franchise; Pitch Perfect franchise), Kegan Michael Key (Schmigadoon!; Wendell & Wild), Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick; The Lovebirds), and Awkwafina (Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings; Crazy Rich Asians).

Signed up for this with my 6 year old daughter. Will see if I can make it next weekend.

• Like 1