Eric Loves Rey

Migration | Universal/Illumination | December 22, 2023

34 minutes ago, elhassane31 said:

got to see Migration a second time. Well, I got even more good out of it than on the first viewing, interestingly enough.

what I noticed however, is that it seems there's actually three licensed titles in this (one in the penultimate scene and the other two are pretty much background noise)

Just out of curiosity...

Spoiler

Was "I Love You Always Forever" one of them? I may need to steel myself for that if it is.

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

This movie has one of the most aggressive and therefore off-putting marketing campaigns here in Germany. Basically, before the main movie starts, the theater chain logo comes up and then gets interrupted by loud ducks and am equally loud, deep voice who literally says "Vergessen Sie nicht, Tickets für "Raus aus dem Teich" zu kaufen und im Kino zu sehen!"

Translated: "Dont forget to buy tickets for Migration and see it in a theater!", but like i said, imagine that sentence with quite an aggressive tone, sounding like an order.

Its so ... weird.

It's also such a stereotype for German's ' Always following orders.

My probme with the marketing at lleast in the US..is that the trailer makes it look like just antoher standard formula  Illumination film; that it might actually be a lot better then Illumination mediocracy was not got across.

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

Allocine now at 3.8 with critics btw, akin to 76 on Metacrtic

Which is good for a Illumination movie, since critics generally have disdain for Illumination products (with good reason IMHO) but not that great overall.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

Just out of curiosity...

Hide contents

Was "I Love You Always Forever" one of them? I may need to steel myself for that if it is.

Cloudy Day is pretty much the only one I can give the name off but I don't think I've heard that one (one other was associated with a salsa sequence but I don't think it was that one).

20 hours ago, Eric Wonka said:

Keep telling y'all audiences don't want movies that aren't nostalgic toy commercials. Even Illumination isn't safe.

Boy and the Heron doing on par with Wish domestically says hello. 

Anyways, it’s clear this one is all dependent on WOM. If GA like it, it will be a hit, even tanking as bad as Puss 2 on OW. If WOM is whatever, then yeah it seems highly likely this is illuminations first box office flop. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Deadline writeup adds some solid context

https://deadline.com/2023/12/wonka-timothee-chalamet-migration-opening-international-box-office-1235660589/

Migration grossed $6.5M in its first opening markets, just off Puss in Boots: The Last Wish. Reviews and word of mouth are strong – in France, it’s got four stars from audiences and a 3.8 from critics. That market was the top launch with $2M including wide paid previews. Italy grossed $1.8M, in line with Puss 2 and more than double Sing 2. On Friday’s bank holiday, it beat the result for Puss 2 on the same holiday last year. 

Opening weekend in common markets appears to be about 80% of Puss' so far, so high 300s worldwide looks to be the most optimistic goal at this point

Edited by AniNate