The Wild Eric

Despicable Me 4 | July 3, 2024

I'm just saying Illumination does seem like the type of studio that would decide they don't really want to do originals anymore just because one of them did worse at the box office despite still turning a profit. An "if it ain't broke, fix it before it is" mentality if you will. 

A bit above DM3 levels seems like a safe bet to me at this point. B&T thread to me seems pointing to 25-30 OD for it, following DM2's trajectory would put the 5-day in the 110-120 range.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 9:24 AM, AniNate said:

I'm just saying Illumination does seem like the type of studio that would decide they don't really want to do originals anymore just because one of them did worse at the box office despite still turning a profit. An "if it ain't broke, fix it before it is" mentality if you will. 

Illumination is in it pretty much for the money, you seldom see them take chances; they stick to waht they know will sell.

I repeat my opinion that Illumination has become very,very good at selling really mediocre movies to the public.

For me at least, the Minions have lost their charm, but a lot of kids still love them.

On 6/20/2024 at 2:08 AM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

At this rate I'm confident the Despicable Me franchise could survive the death of cinema itself. 

In all seriousness there's never been a franchise that critic reviews have mattered less for than this one. 

Don;r forget another  Illumination franchise, the "Ice Age" movies. Only the first one was any good, and it was not all that great,  The rest were pounded by the critics, but they all made big bucks.

Edited by dudalb

On 6/20/2024 at 8:18 AM, AniNate said:

Yeah but still grossed a lot less than their usual movies. I do wonder if that original Pharrell musical they were planning is still happening or if they've just decided to shift to alternating between Minions and Nintendo IP

Illlumination made a decent profit off of Migration, but not nearly as much as form one of their franchise films. Which is why Illumination mostly sticks to sequels.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Don;r forget another  Illumination franchise, the "Ice Age" movies. Only the first one was any good, and it was not all that great,  The rest were pounded by the critics, but they all made big bucks.

Ice Age was Blue Sky, not Illumination. But even those films hit franchise fatigue faster and harder than the Despicable Me films.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Illumination is in it pretty much for the money, you seldom see them take chances; they stick to waht they know will sell.

I repeat my opinion that Illumination has become very,very good at selling really mediocre movies to the public.

For me at least, the Minions have lost their charm, but a lot of kids still love them.

I still get somewhat of a chuckle out of the Minions but watching 90 min movies from this franchise anymore.Nope. Have not seen any of these movies since the first Minions. But hey if people still want to see spend money on these and it keeps the BO rebound going have at it I guess. 

• Like 1

Kids are still as in to them as ever! My nephew and niece are watching Minions 2 on repeat and can't wait for DM4. They maybe go to a couple movies a year so that says it all. Universal and Illumination know the brand is still as strong as ever with kids and families, which is why they didn't think twice about doing this movie.

The brand will sputter out eventually though. Even for kids I don't know how much longer they can keep doing this unless they find a fresh angle for it

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 1

SpongeBob still going as strong as ever so it might be awhile. Illumination does seem to decide to quit while they're ahead with a lot of their IP though, Secret Life of Pets 2 didn't flop but still did a lot worse than its predecessor, and they don't seem to be going back to that well anymore. 

I wish they would let Benjamin Renner do his own thing with the budgets he usually works with, and just attach the Illumination label to it. Would be a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I see that Despicable Me 4 is doing literal midnight shows? At midnight, Wednesday morning? Why.

Trying to boost the opening weekend numbers to look a bit stronger? Trying to make this an event? I don’t know, odd choice.

My nearby Regal showings of the rerelease of DM3 next Tues and Weds are nearly sold out.

I consider it to be the weakest of the franchise, but at $1 a ticket I might go see it.

It's a national thing for Regal so check out your showings if you want to go.

Edited by Mojoguy

I just saw a pre-screening of this. Yeah, this is pretty much what you'd expect out of a Despicable Me sequel, and an Illumination movie in general. It's not interested in going for any level of nuance or depth. It's just a big, dumb, loud cartoon that was probably fun to watch in the moment with a large crowd, but I doubt I'll remember much of it later

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

This feels like sloppy seconds to IO2 but Minions! Yay! Am I right?....

IO2 will win the year but it's always nice when there are multiple hits.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

IO2 will win the year but it's always nice when there are multiple hits.

Not saying that just saying it would it be nice if these movies were not such  eh and mediocre forgettable time killers.