CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

6 hours ago, filmscholar said:

Felt like a Love Letter to the entire Franchise.

God I hate this kind. Every time I read something like this in a review to a movie I feel there's trouble coming. Hated both Afterlife and Frozen empire, didn't enjoy The Force Awakening.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Truely never thought I'd see an Alien film be criticised for.... looking like an Alien movie. Sometimes something can be a love letter without also being soulless slop. There's nothing wrong with a filmmaker loving the text they are adapting. I truely don't understand the hostility towards a franchise doing what a franchise is known for. It's an Alien film, obviously it's going to remind you of the other alien films. There's such a thing as visual continuity and world building. I don't know about you guys, me personally I'd be pretty pissed if asked for a cheeseburger and every time I went I got a different reinvention of a cheeseburger. 

Internet discourse is so quick to write shit off and nitpick, it's so incredibly boring at this point. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SaltyPistola said:

Internet discourse is so quick to write shit off and nitpick, it's so incredibly boring at this point. 

Very true.

I'm well into my forties and thankfully haven't lost my enthusiasm for all things nerdy. Being cautious and not lapping everything up is totally fine but some people seem to be taking things too far. I refuse to take part in their cynicism, makes life more enjoyable. Found a great quote the other day: disappointments are inevitable but misery is optional.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, cinema pal said:

God I hate this kind. Every time I read something like this in a review to a movie I feel there's trouble coming. Hated both Afterlife and Frozen empire, didn't enjoy The Force Awakening.

Yes the new "Ghostbusters" movies were Love Letters but they still felt different because this time it was teenagers with Proton-Packs.    "The Force Awakens" was clearly going for an "OG" Star Wars Aesthetic.  So yes I would say that was a love letter to "A New Hope".  Most of these Legacy Nostalgia Sequels are Love Letters to the previous films though.   "Romulus" feels like he is doing a mash up of Alien, Aliens and even a little Alien 3.  But I guess that's point because the story takes place between Alien and Aliens so he's going for that vibe.    

Edited by filmscholar

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Do we know the budget?

Not officially, no. Though it was shot in Budapest, Hungary to save some money on the budget. And since this was originally a Hulu movie, I can't imagine costing more than Prometheus or Covenant. 

Edited by JWR
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

Truely never thought I'd see an Alien film be criticised for.... looking like an Alien movie. Sometimes something can be a love letter without also being soulless slop. There's nothing wrong with a filmmaker loving the text they are adapting. I truely don't understand the hostility towards a franchise doing what a franchise is known for. It's an Alien film, obviously it's going to remind you of the other alien films. There's such a thing as visual continuity and world building. I don't know about you guys, me personally I'd be pretty pissed if asked for a cheeseburger and every time I went I got a different reinvention of a cheeseburger. 

Did you even watch previous Alien films? Every Alien film in the main quadrilogy was wildly different from each other, each with a completely different visual style, themes, genre, locations and tone that represented director's singular style, in fact it might be the only franchise of its kind that did that, where each sequel is nothing like a previous film, so your point holds no ground, this is not Star Wars or Marvel where you expect the same thing. It's criticized for doing mostly nothing new and the only thing it does new is simply not good to say the least.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, filmscholar said:

"The Force Awakens" was clearly going for an "OG" Star Wars Aesthetic. 

Not really a problem for me, I was enjoying it like for 15-20 min and then one charecter goes like "oh oh, I have very importent information, where do I put it? Oh hey, cute droid, come here!". It just ruined the whole movie for me and the next 2 hours the only thing I was thinking of was "fucking droid, why, after 40+ years the best you could think of reusing the same thing". No, I didn't buy it as an ommage or cute wink to the fans, it was just lazy shit. 

Anyway 

Sorry for the rant)

I just want some new ideas in Romulus, new themes explored, not just running around on a similar ship screaming and  making stupid choices,  dying one by one. "This room looks Nostromo-ish, that hallway looks like Hadley's Hope-ish" (as Fede promises) is just not my type of entertainment.

But I loved his Evil dead remake, so hope for good things 

Edited by cinema pal

2 hours ago, TomThomas said:

Did you even watch previous Alien films? Every Alien film in the main quadrilogy was wildly different from each other, each with a completely different visual style, themes, genre, locations and tone that represented director's singular style, in fact it might be the only franchise of its kind that did that, where each sequel is nothing like a previous film, so your point holds no ground, this is not Star Wars or Marvel where you expect the same thing. It's criticized for doing mostly nothing new and the only thing it does new is simply not good to say the least.

This has been my fear since the teaser that we got. While people may not like some of the other Alien films, you cannot claim that they’re not each distinct in style and tone. The series has always had more going on under the hood than just copying the previous instalment. While I’m not writing this film off over a trailer, I do really hope that they’ve not just gone down the “member Alien?” route.

All that said, this is just a 2 minute trailer, and it’s clearly designed to get people interested again with a back to basics approach after Prometheus and Covenant. Fede earned my trust with Evil Dead and Don’t Breathe, so I’m still looking forward to this, and I can’t deny that seeing Alien/Aliens era xenomorphs running rampant doesn’t get me hyped.

• Like 1

The last two entries (while I liked them) were very polarizing. The marketing is more or less made for people who wanted something that resembles the feel of the other movies.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JWR said:

The last two entries (while I liked them) were very polarizing. The marketing is more or less made for people who wanted something that resembles the feel of the other movies.

I really wanted to like Prometheus, but it totally fell apart in the last third, Just too many WTF...Sorry, even in a Sci Fi Film I just cannot buy this moments for me.

Which is a shame, isnce it the first tow thirds were so good.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

I really wanted to like Prometheus, but it totally fell apart in the last third, Just too many WTF...Sorry, even in a Sci Fi Film I just cannot buy this moments for me.

Which is a shame, isnce it the first tow thirds were so good.

I suspect that's part of why we're going to something a bit more familiar. 

It's funny, cuz Prometheus felt very familiar to me. They swapped workers for scientists and that's it. David and visuals saved it from being utter dissapoinment, but I wanted so much more after that fantastic first teaser. And I don't mind unanswered questions, btw

• Like 1