CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

I will wait for the reviews.

And I would like some budget figures. This is going to be,I supsect, one of those  films where 50 Million more or less on the budget could make a difference between it being profitible and it not being profitible.

On 6/5/2024 at 3:20 AM, filmscholar said:

Yes the new "Ghostbusters" movies were Love Letters but they still felt different because this time it was teenagers with Proton-Packs.    "The Force Awakens" was clearly going for an "OG" Star Wars Aesthetic.  So yes I would say that was a love letter to "A New Hope".  Most of these Legacy Nostalgia Sequels are Love Letters to the previous films though.   "Romulus" feels like he is doing a mash up of Alien, Aliens and even a little Alien 3.  But I guess that's point because the story takes place between Alien and Aliens so he's going for that vibe.    

Problem is the ALien and Aliens, though both good films, are really different films with different vibes.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Problem is the ALien and Aliens, though both good films, are really different films with different vibes.

Yes but even "Aliens" had a few callbacks to "Alien".   But I agree, what makes the "Alien" franchise unique is that each film has it's own identity regardless of the previous entry.  "Alien 3" is wildly different from "Aliens" which was different from "Alien".   

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I will wait for the reviews.

And I would like some budget figures. This is going to be,I supsect, one of those  films where 50 Million more or less on the budget could make a difference between it being profitible and it not being profitible.

Yeah, that's going to be interesting. Hopefully this isn't repetitive but while we wait for real sources for the full budget, I found some Hungarian tax credits (first sublink) for the film (a net spend of slightly over 40M). We know that doesn't account for all hungarian spending (extra producer fees, a good chunk of salary for non hungarian/EU cast and crew, etc.) but it's the main filming location. 

To spot check that against 2 recent Hungarian productions (aka speculative) [Moon Knight/Dune 2] would give us an output of ~70M&~90M. Perhaps the final Alien budget is wider than that but I don't think it's going to be either 60 or 110M. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

Hoping this is great but really worried if it will have the budget to do it justice, with it orig supposed to be straight to streaming.

I'll hope for some gory fun, and nothing more really. Also as a fan of the series, some of the script rumours sound a little meh.

5 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Hoping this is great but really worried if it will have the budget to do it justice, with it orig supposed to be straight to streaming.

I'll hope for some gory fun, and nothing more really. Also as a fan of the series, some of the script rumours sound a little meh.

I'm sure it'll look more expensive than it actually is.