Eric Lasagna

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don't understand this move.

I know test-screenings have been terrible, but this is the kind of movie that survives that.

Huh? It’s going for that Easter weekend money which is what GvK did and that worked out well…

Also I’m calling bull crap on the bad test screenings. 

1 minute ago, ChiefBrody said:

Huh? It’s going for that Easter weekend money which is what GvK did and that worked out well…

Also I’m calling bull crap on the bad test screenings. 

People who've said it had bad test screenings have been backed up by other stuff. The movie's had several reshoots.

• Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

People who've said it had bad test screenings have been backed up by other stuff. The movie's had several reshoots.

The only negative I’ve seen is people not liking one of the original monsters so they replaced it with a Toho monster.

To compare this with Solo is absurd

Just now, ChiefBrody said:

The only negative I’ve seen is people not liking one of the original monsters so they replaced it with a Toho monster.

To compare this with Solo is absurd

Solo had a 3 month marketing cycle that hurt it immensely. GxK is also going to end up with a 3 month marketing cycle (December to March is 3 months).

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Solo had a 3 month marketing cycle that hurt it immensely. GxK is also going to end up with a 3 month marketing cycle (December to March is 3 months).

What hurt Solo was reshooting most of the movie resulting in the budget inflating.

Why does GxK need a longer marketing cycle? 3 months is fine. 

48 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I know test-screenings have been terrible, but this is the kind of movie that survives that.

No? Test screening all Been positive with each new one getting better scores

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know why anyone would think this moving up two weeks would hurt its chances in anyway. The real downside here is that April is practically empty now. 

Its marketing cycle was already crazy short, that's two less weeks of awareness. 

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Its marketing cycle was already crazy short, that's two less weeks of awareness. 

Four months has more or less become the standard at this point. Besides, GvK had its trailer released a mere two months before release. 

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Four months has more or less become the standard at this point. Besides, GvK had its trailer released a mere two months before release. 

GvK was a straight to streaming COVID release which was also dealing with Legendary and WB not seeing eye to eye on sending it to streaming or not. It's not a sensible comparison and if GxK opens the exact same as GvK that wouldn't be a good result for it.

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Test screenings have not been terrible. I don't know where you're getting this from. They're actually very positive according to ViewerAnon save for one new monster that had poor reception and was replaced. 

I'll tell you why this move makes sense. Because now Godzilla x Kong has 4 whole weeks of PLF screens all to itself before Civil War comes out. Compare that with before, it only had 2 weeks. This movie is extremely reliant on PLF and IMAX revenue for its success. So even with mixed word of mouth some just won't be able to resist for a whole month of giant monsters fighting on the biggest screen possible

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know why anyone would think this moving up two weeks would hurt its chances in anyway. The real downside here is that April is practically empty now. 

I think this is why it was moved up. So it can dominate PLF & IMAX screens for 4 weeks straight with 0 competition. 

2 hours ago, Mulder said:

This is not a 3 month marketing cycle. The first piece of marketing came out in early December while the release date is the 3rd to last day of March. That's still closer to 4 months than 3. Also blitz marketing campaigns have become standard now and are proven to work. It's not a garuntee but it is a far cry from being a sign of failure

Some of ya´ll are so hyperbolic, 2 weeks will really change public perception? It´s a big franchise, everyone knows what to expect from it, it really doesn´t matter.

Actually releasing it earlier is a good thing, now it´s positioned in the same spot GxK succeed, and it´ll have an empty April for it. 

I mean, sure the marketing campaign will be short but again, it´s a big franchise, doesn´t matter if the material is good and the teaser was very succesful and well received by GA online. Thor 4 have a way later campaign and it was the biggest opener of the Thor movies ... Aquaman 2 was left to die with one of the worst late campaigns ever and it´s doing considerable better than everyone expected despite the shitshow around it. 

The horrible test screenings are bullshit as well, ViewerAnon said they´re doing consistently better everytime they test it. The thing that was disliked in it early on was changed.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Some of ya´ll are so hyperbolic, 2 weeks will really change public perception? It´s a big franchise, everyone knows what to expect from it, it really doesn´t matter.

Actually releasing it earlier is a good thing, now it´s positioned in the same spot GxK succeed, and it´ll have an empty April for it. 

I mean, sure the marketing campaign will be short but again, it´s a big franchise, doesn´t matter if the material is good and the teaser was very succesful and well received by GA online. Thor 4 have a way later campaign and it was the biggest opener of the Thor movies ... Aquaman 2 was left to die with one of the worst late campaigns ever and it´s doing considerable better than everyone expected despite the shitshow around it. 

The test screenings this is bullshit as well, ViewerAnon said they´re doing consistently better everytime they test it. The thing that was disliked in it early on was changed.

The Office Thank You GIF