Eric the IF

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

3 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

I think they have a lot of post-production work left to do is all. This trailer has been in the can for a while most likely and yet there are a couple of shots that already look pretty stunning. And I very much doubt this has a lower budget than GvK.

Yeah it's like this movie is still 4 and a half months away from release still.It does not come out tomorrow.  

• Like 1

One important thing about trailers which i just learned recently is that YouTube compresses the quality to a degree that it can look worse visually than it actually is. A trailer in 1080p will look far less impressive than one in 4K quality and the finished product after all will not look like the 1080p trailer did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

One important thing about trailers which i just learned recently is that YouTube compresses the quality to a degree that it can look worse visually than it actually is. A trailer in 1080p will look far less impressive than one in 4K quality and the finished product after all will not look like the 1080p trailer did.

And the problem with that  we have to get people to realize that at at a time when people seem to be looking for reasons not to see a movie.  Of course I think most of the GA does not give a crap or even notice it's mostly just us weirdo's around here and on social media.

I love the late Showa era but I think it's campiness is more appealing with guys in rubber suits vs cgi imo. I am glad Monsterverse shifted from grounded realism though, they didn't have the scripts to back up its aspirations. But I guess I preferred the more Heisei feel of KOTM, good balance. 

I think this will drop from GvK because it lacks the novelty factor but should still do decent as it's got a fairly good release window. Has there been any word on how many more Legendary has licensed from Toho or is it a movie by movie basis now after the initial multi film deal that ended with GvK?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

After seeing Shin Godzilla and Godzilla Minus One this weekend the tonal whiplash from this trailer was something

I guess if you're going to go for pure fantasy cheese you might as well commit 110%

Um yeah…. I got out of watching Minus One today to watch this trailer and….. the tonal difference was really something. 

I wonder if people will even realize Dan Stevens is playing a different character than Alexander Skarsgard was. I remember watching the bluray making of's and he gave off such a vibe of yeah I'm here for the paycheck. LOL.  These movies are not there to serve the humans and that is okay.

36 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

I love the late Showa era but I think it's campiness is more appealing with guys in rubber suits vs cgi imo. I am glad Monsterverse shifted from grounded realism though, they didn't have the scripts to back up its aspirations. But I guess I preferred the more Heisei feel of KOTM, good balance. 

I think this will drop from GvK because it lacks the novelty factor but should still do decent as it's got a fairly good release window. Has there been any word on how many more Legendary has licensed from Toho or is it a movie by movie basis now after the initial multi film deal that ended with GvK?

Sadly I think the Heisei/KOTM vibe just didn't resonate with the GA the same way it did with fans. It made significantly less money and we were pretty lucky to get GvK. But a couple more KOTMs would be the dream.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I wonder if people will even realize Dan Stevens is playing a different character than Alexander Skarsgard was. I remember watching the bluray making of's and he gave off such a vibe of yeah I'm here for the paycheck. LOL.  These movies are not there to serve the humans and that is okay.

I truely don't think anyone cares enough to notice lmao 

42 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Has there been any word on how many more Legendary has licensed from Toho or is it a movie by movie basis now after the initial multi film deal that ended with GvK?

As far as i know, ever since KOTM's (undeserved!) underperformance, it was pretty much a movie-by-movie strategy on Legendarys part. Godzilla vs Kong was originally planned to be the end of the franchise, unless it was succesfull enough to make further sequels possible - which it was. So unless im mistaken, there is no license problem for Legendary at the moment and they are theoretically free to make more Godzilla movies. The only restrictions are still that there cant be a year with both a Legendary and a Toho Godzilla film releasing and if Legendary would want to use more classic Toho monsters for a future film, that would have to be negotiated again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

Sadly I think the Heisei/KOTM vibe just didn't resonate with the GA the same way it did with fans. It made significantly less money and we were pretty lucky to get GvK. But a couple more KOTMs would be the dream.

Yeah KOM made 387 million WW as a full theatrical release in June 2019. GVK made 470 WW as a hybrid release in April 2021. I think it's safe to say what the GA responded too. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah KOM made 387 million WW as a full theatrical release in June 2019. GVK made 470 WW as a hybrid release in April 2021. I think it's safe to say what the GA responded too. 

40% of that was from China alone, that's a terrible indicator of GA reception.

• Like 1