Eric Duncan

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

I guess the difference between this downturn for Disney's animated movies is there is no knight in shining armor coming to save them.

No one is going to come and pick up the pieces like Lasseter did back when Disney bought Pixar.

That said, it was almost a miracle, how exponentially Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin and The Lion King grew from each other. Something that will probably never happen again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It should be safe from going below Cars 2 low mark, but seems nearly locked to be below every other Pixar movie on RT. Kind of disastrous considering the current state of the brand. 

That’s not locked at all. It’s currently at 71% and climbing with the new reviews. It should at least get to the high 70s on RT, which still wouldn’t be great, but would be better than a few other Pixar movies besides Cars 2.

Edited by deniima

This does seem like it's more the "silly" kind of mid that Cars and Brave were than the "dull" kind that Lightyear and Good Dino's consensus was, so maybe it can muster some legs if it's seen as a fun undemanding trifle. I'm still not sure that's enough to get it the kind of numbers it needs though.

I'm thinking it's more likely I'll enjoy it now, seems like there is good consensus on the actual romance bringing the feels and Newman's score.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, deniima said:

That’s not locked at all. It’s currently at 71% and climbing with the new reviews. It should at least get to the high 70s on RT, which still wouldn’t be great, but would be better than a few other Pixar movies besides Cars 2.

You think a Pixar movie of all things starting this low will stay above 70%? Seems very unlikely. 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

You think a Pixar movie of all things starting this low will stay above 70%? Seems very unlikely. 

It started off low with the batch of reviews from Cannes, but recent reactions have been much more positive and the movie has been steadily climbing on RT. 

Again, I’m not saying it can’t end up below a 70 or anything, just that it’s not a sure thing at all.

• Like 3