Eric the Marxist

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

Hopefully they're more open to learning to write comprehendible English.

Idk if it will save Elemental but it definitely has a better chance with a Cannes screening than without one. And it's not like Mario's reviews were Emoji Movie bad, though Illumination is definitely held to a lower standard by audiences than Pixar is. Elemental is certainly toast if its reviews are on Mario's level.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

What that happened to Mario already proved that no one should give a flying shit about the opinions of critics when it comes to movies for kids....... Pixar is in trouble because they are out of touch with their audience. Who are sick and tired of the same preaching about how parents should let their kids do whatever they want. So only a fool would think being beloved by the Cannes crowd is enough to save Elemental. 

Okay.

Disney-Pixar’s Luca was the most-streamed movie of 2021 in the U.S., with 10.6 billion minutes of viewing time. The film skipped its theatrical release and was released straight to Disney+ last June.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/streaming/americans-were-obsessed-with-streaming-disney-produced-animation-in-2021-212716.html

Pixar is in trouble because they are out of touch with their audience? Is that why Luca was the most-streamed movie of 2021? I think it's very clear what the real culprit here, and it's not Pixar's "preaching."

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Or. it's another can't lose scenario.  If it gets bad reviews, it opens where we all think it does.  If it gets good ones, it might get a pop.  

Remember, it's already going to be showing limited b/c of opening with Flash in the wake of Spidey...to try to get theaters to set it for extra presale showings, it has to show some level of confidence...

You wouldn't be saying this if Elemental was an Illumination film... 

• Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

I would if it was opening after Spidey, which will win the summer (yeah, I'm starting to really think that) and opposite another blockbuster on its weekend, when it has no appeal to fathers and the other movies does.

Note - Spidey is not Illumination:)...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I would if it was opening after Spidey, which will win the summer (yeah, I'm starting to really think that) and opposite another blockbuster on its weekend, when it has no appeal to fathers and the other movies does.

Note - Spidey is not Illumination:)...

I don't think appealing to dads has ever been Pixar's thing. 

It's interesting how people are writing off Pixar because of Lightyear. I'm guessing they want them to become the next Blue Sky.

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Because Illumination didn’t have their brand diminished through DTS releases and one of their films is not opening this summer.

Edited by YM!

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think appealing to dads has ever been Pixar's thing. 

It's interesting how people are writing off Pixar because of Lightyear. I'm guessing they want them to become the next Blue Sky.

Incredibles 1 and 2 would really beg to differ...

And opening a film on Father's Day weekend against a dad drawing blockbuster when you're not planning to draw dads is an interesting release strategy...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

Because Illumination didn’t have their brand diminished through DTS releases and one of their films is not opening this summer.

I don't think we can dismiss Pixar, it can and likely will bounce back. The doom and gloom surrounding them and WDAS is honestly quite tiring. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think we can dismiss Pixar, it can and likely will bounce back. The doom and gloom surrounding them and WDAS is honestly quite tiring. 

I agree. I just think it’s an uphill battle that is going to take a minute as again the Plus has diluted both brands value. Just because I don’t think Elemental is likely going to be an omega hit, doesn’t mean I think it’s curtains or even budget cuts for Pixar (that said I do think they want a hit sooner over later in general). The turnaround in the 2010s didn’t happen overnight but rather a number of years. I think with strong reviews and an 11th hour marketing campaign, Elemental will likely do well enough. RN I’m over/under 150m domestic and 450m worldwide. I’m rooting and confident for a comeback but I’m also being realistic at the trek it it’ll take. 

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, YM! said:

I agree. I just think it’s an uphill battle that is going to take a minute as again the Plus has diluted both brands value. Just because I don’t think Elemental is likely going to be an omega hit, doesn’t mean I think it’s curtains or even budget cuts for Pixar (that said I do think they want a hit sooner over later in general). The turnaround in the 2010s didn’t happen overnight but rather a number of years. I think with strong reviews and an 11th hour marketing campaign, Elemental will likely do well enough. RN I’m over/under 150m domestic and 450m worldwide. I’m rooting and confident for a comeback but I’m also being realistic at the trek it it’ll take. 

The main problem is Elio cause everything about it screams Mars Needs Moms MKII. Any "success" by Elemental is almost certain to be wiped out by Elio. And after that it is sequel mines for Pixar. And quite frankly I am not sure Pixar will want to be much more successful in those mines cause it will make Disney wary of ever allowing them to make original content again.

30 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

The main problem is Elio cause everything about it screams Mars Needs Moms MKII. Any "success" by Elemental is almost certain to be wiped out by Elio. And after that it is sequel mines for Pixar. And quite frankly I am not sure Pixar will want to be much more successful in those mines cause it will make Disney wary of ever allowing them to make original content again.

You're talking absolute crap if you think Pixar will be relegated to just sequels. 

30 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Eh. I'll have to wait there. Director co-directed Coco which is one their best movies. Elio could be good. We'll see.

45 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Mars Need Moms, Lightyear, Strange World, Titan AE, Treasure Planet and the rest of the other sci-fi animations bombed because at best they were mediocre or barely good. The director helped shaped Coco and on top of that Wall-E was huge despite being a hard sci-fi with 1/3 of the movie without dialogue because it was damn good and had strong marketing from the jump. It also helps it’s less adventure and more comedic high jinks interactions with aliens.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, YM! said:

Mars Need Moms, Lightyear, Strange World, Titan AE, Treasure Planet and the rest of the other sci-fi animations bombed because at best they were mediocre or barely good. The director helped shaped Coco and on top of that Wall-E was huge despite being a hard sci-fi with 1/3 of the movie without dialogue because it was damn good and had strong marketing from the jump. It also helps it’s less adventure and more comedic high jinks interactions with aliens.

Elio does seem like a fish out of water and mistaken identity type film which tend to do quite well. 

Moderation

@Jonwo I understand your frustrations with people's pessimism towards Pixar, but your posts do not help and are frankly making the situation worse. Nobody who thinks Elemental will do poorly thinks Pixar will shut down. Nobody who thinks Elemental will do poorly wants Pixar to suffer. It doesn't seem fair that we can't express concerns about a movie because you don't like reading it.

And frankly, you can ignore this pessimism quite easily. You can simply not respond to other posts or just put certain users on your Ignore list. Really, it's not that hard. Please stop with this right now.

I think once D+ releases are delayed back to 3-4 months time frame, I think Disney/Pixar will make a come back. Plus they need a movie with strong reviews. I hope Docter makes another one soon as well. Plus are Stanton/Bird also done with animation or would they consider making something again?

• Like 1

Docter's said he doesn't plan on directing again for the foreseeable future because of his CCO duties. Stanton's doing another live action movie and Bird has gone to the dark side to get Ray Gunn made.

Shi seems to have emerged as a new reliable braintrust personality. Ideally Sohn and Molina also add some new stability with their next movies. I wonder if Bob Peterson might get another shot eventually w the change in leadership and being able to stay on good terms w everyone after the Good Dinosaur.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1