Eric Prime

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

21 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Why. 1st movie had an extremely leggy run and was among the best received movies. Its not going to become a MCU movie.

Because it's a sequel, a "part 1", and still a superhero movie. It may be animated but its audience overlap w the MCU is not insignificant.

"Absolute disaster that we have seen so far from presales confirms this is DOA. I am not convinced good reviews will save it. It needs a Inside Out level of reception to stay in the game. I doubt that will happen from Sohn."

Well, I'm assuming 90s RT is a possibility until proven otherwise. Someone somewhere must have seen something in it if they sent it to Cannes given the rarified company it's joining. If that ends up not being the case, then yeah, it's DOA, but we'll have an idea by this time next week probably. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Nah people are just being realistic about it's chances. What's the highest grossing original animated movie in the last 5 years? People clearly aren't interested in original movies anymore. People don't want to hear it, but it's the truth. Things have changed and people must accept them. Only big name directors like Nolan or Peele can make original movies do decent numbers.

Pixar hasn't given an original movie a summer theatrical release since Inside Out. You can't really make that assumption still when it comes to their movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Nah people are just being realistic about it's chances. What's the highest grossing original animated movie in the last 5 years? People clearly aren't interested in original movies anymore. People don't want to hear it, but it's the truth. Things have changed and people must accept them. Only big name directors like Nolan or Peele can make original movies do decent numbers.

Tbf, most of the orginal movies that came post pandemic didn't have a normal run. Encanto could have been 2x bigger if Disney didn't release it on Disney Plus so early.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is not a point. It wont have the same legs. But its not going to die in 2 weeks. 

I mean even though I think Beasts will likely underperform, it's taking the PLFs and IMAX from it on weekend 2 and with the 2:00 PM previews, I think it'll likely have a 50% drop. The Flash and Elemental also eat into two of it's main demographics even if the latter underperform. Think it'll have better legs than most CBMs but I think Incredibles 2 is the best comparison for it legs-wise as the peak (606/180 = 3.37, thinking 100-140m OW for Across with a range of 2.85-3.4x for the legs).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am thinking other way around. Shawn's floor is too high. its going to be buried between all the big movies. Especially Spiderverse taking most of the family audience dollars. 

I wonder how big the third weekend of Spider-Verse would be.

Might be embarrassing if it's bigger than Elemental's first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Wow. I just saw a YouTube ad that uses Hot n Cold by Katy Perry. A Pixar movie in 2023 is using that song in its advertisement? I mean, ok. It’s their movie. 

LMAO.

Well I mean if Turning Red could use Backstreet Boys and NSYNC...

14 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Wow. I just saw a YouTube ad that uses Hot n Cold by Katy Perry. A Pixar movie in 2023 is using that song in its advertisement? I mean, ok. It’s their movie. 

I remember they used that song in some Inside Out commercials too. Guess Pixar's marketing team really likes Katy Perry?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

LMAO.

Well I mean if Turning Red could use Backstreet Boys and NSYNC...

At least in that case, that movie takes place in 2002, and the main characters are obsessed with boy bands. This just seems uninspired.

Edited by WittyUsername

Idk a soundtrack choice for one TV spot is just one of many issues with the marketing so far. Not sure how far in advance they decide the marketing strategy but the emphasis on slapstick and boilerplate "be yourself" dialogue edits clearly was the wrong way to go here.

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Idk a soundtrack choice for one TV spot is just one of many issues with the marketing so far. Not sure how far in advance they decide the marketing strategy but the emphasis on slapstick and boilerplate "be yourself" dialogue edits clearly was the wrong way to go here.

Conversely, pushing the immigrant stuff would just make it look too serious or have be accused of "woke."

It's being accused of wokeness anyway, may as well have it on full display.

Tbh I think Disney would be better off if they stopped trying to hide their "wokeness" in their marketing. Would mean the more progressive faction of the audience would be more willing to get on board, and the bigots would get mad about it earlier before getting bored and moving onto something else, and it wouldn't become an angry discourse when the movie is released.

• Like 4