Eric Prime

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I haven't paid much attention to this one, is there any early word of how good/bad it may be?

Only reactions to the first 25 minutes screened at Cinemacon, which were overwhelmingly positive but ofc so was lightyear's advance footage

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Only reactions to the first 25 minutes screened at Cinemacon, which were overwhelmingly positive but ofc so was lightyear's advance footage

Then again, they opted not to show Lightyear at Cannes, so...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I haven't paid much attention to this one, is there any early word of how good/bad it may be?

They showed 30 minutes to press weeks ago and the response was great 

They also send it to Cannes which isn’t a guarantee of quality but shows they’re confident in it (hopefully they’ll have more lucky than LucasFilm)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

THR corroborating 40m opening

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/the-flash-box-office-headwinds-elemental-1235501230/

Not good still but not catastrophic prior to Cannes, indicates awareness is picking up at least.

IF this gets the same response as Up or Inside Out at Cannes, that could be what moves the needle.

TBH, Elemental never really felt quite right to me as a Pixar movie. Its premise-- a society of four types of creatures who are segregated but will inevitably learn the error of their ways-- is pretty boilerplate, which is atypical for Pixar, who are generally known for their out-of-the box stories and interesting combinations of ideas. I know the subtitle of this thread, "What if elements have feelings?" is meant as a joke, but it's actually pretty close to the truth as far as I can tell. That joke gets told about Pixar movies a lot, but in most cases it's not really accurate, because they always try to tell an interesting and unique story with that premise. 

But with Elemental, I'm not seeing that. The whole thing looks like it was designed by a committee, and certainly not up to the standards Pixar has set in the past, even with recent movies like Turning Red and Luca. "Generic", I believe, is the word. The point is, Elemental doesn't have any major hook beyond its generic premise, and that's going to work against it at the box-office. Pixar has always sort of been the "loose cannon" of Disney's subsidiaries, more innovative and less likely than the others to toe the company line. And I sort of feel like what we're seeing now, with the movies following the departure of John Lasseter, is that the Disney higher-ups aren't quite sure what to do with Pixar. Hence why so many of their upcoming movies are sequels. That's really the only guaranteed way for them to make money in theaters anymore.
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:
TBH, Elemental never really felt quite right to me as a Pixar movie. Its premise-- a society of four types of creatures who are segregated but will inevitably learn the error of their ways-- is pretty boilerplate, which is atypical for Pixar, who are generally known for their out-of-the box stories and interesting combinations of ideas. I know the subtitle of this thread, "What if elements have feelings?" is meant as a joke, but it's actually pretty close to the truth as far as I can tell. That joke gets told about Pixar movies a lot, but in most cases it's not really accurate, because they always try to tell an interesting and unique story with that premise. 

But with Elemental, I'm not seeing that. The whole thing looks like it was designed by a committee, and certainly not up to the standards Pixar has set in the past, even with recent movies like Turning Red and Luca. "Generic", I believe, is the word. The point is, Elemental doesn't have any major hook beyond its generic premise, and that's going to work against it at the box-office. Pixar has always sort of been the "loose cannon" of Disney's subsidiaries, more innovative and less likely than the others to toe the company line. And I sort of feel like what we're seeing now, with the movies following the departure of John Lasseter, is that the Disney higher-ups aren't quite sure what to do with Pixar. Hence why so many of their upcoming movies are sequels. That's really the only guaranteed way for them to make money in theaters anymore.

And Elio looks like a remake of Mars needs Moms...... why people in Pixar thought we needed such a thing, I have no idea. Which goes to show new IP =/= original.

Edited by scytheavatar
  • Like 1

No, there's no way it's going to be that bad. At the very least it won't have that hideous motion-capture animation. The premise sounds kind of cute, and if they can follow it up with a good hook (something that Lightyear and Elemental both sorely lacked) it might do OK. 

8 hours ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

Yeah the fact that projections are increasing is a bit of good news. If this gets universal acclaim at CANNES then maybe it can do like $50M+, which is a good goal for this. 

It's a start, I suppose.

$40M isn't good, but it's not the worst thing. It'll probably outgross Lightyear and at least hit $120M+ unless it somehow has legs as atrocious as that film did. Coco was tracking at $55M-$65M for its 5-day and ended up doing $73M, so there's still room for this to grow and hit $50M+ (provided Cannes reactions are great) and potentially make a run for $200M, although that's wishful thinking at the moment.

It could also just go down into the $30M range, which would be really bad, but we can worry about that later. But a Strange World-level bomb, this probably won't be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

$40M isn't good, but it's not the worst thing. It'll probably outgross Lightyear and at least hit $120M+ unless it somehow has legs as atrocious as that film did. Coco was tracking at $55M-$65M for its 5-day and ended up doing $73M, so there's still room for this to grow and hit $50M+ (provided Cannes reactions are great) and potentially make a run for $200M, although that's wishful thinking at the moment.

It could also just go down into the $30M range, which would be really bad, but we can worry about that later. But a Strange World-level bomb, this probably won't be.

It will need at least $50M just to sniff $200M DOM. $120-180M DOM is a more feasible goal.

It doesn't need to be a mega hit, just needs to do well enough to prove that Disney Animation is still a draw for audiences in theaters. 

1 minute ago, JWR said:

It will need at least $50M just to sniff $200M DOM. $120-180M DOM is a more feasible goal.

It doesn't need to be a mega hit, just needs to do well enough to prove that Disney Animation is still a draw for audiences in theaters. 

I mean Disney is still a draw by the fact The Little Mermaid is going to do gangbusters. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I mean Disney is still a draw by the fact The Little Mermaid is going to do gangbusters. 

Because The Little Mermaid is cashing on an already much-loved animated film. Whereas this is wholly original and much riskier.

33 minutes ago, JWR said:

Yeah the bare minimum is like 150m domestic/400m worldwide for Elemental to keep Wish safe from Trolls 3 and Elio from KFP4. Anything lesser, and the non-sequels stuff and more riskier sequels will get regularly bullied by tentpoles in their spots.

31 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Not from either animation arms, a nostalgic remake with significant adult buzz, has actual interest from the GA unlike either 2023 animations.

• Like 2