Eric the Marxist

Nightbitch | December 6, 2024 | Searchlight | Amy Adams plays a mom who is slowly turning into a dog

Amy is Amazing and was a fan of the director's previous two films but this looks...I dunno. Maybe it's just a tough movie to market? Have to admit I was expecting something a little more nuanced than "The Shaggy Dog, but dirtier."

This is obviously going to flop with a low single digits total though if "In Select Theaters" is all over the marketing, either it's being dumped or they know too many theaters will refuse to play it due to the title (and don't care enough about this to fight them over it). Good for them for sticking to their big guns instead of pulling a Blink Twice (former title: Pussy Island) and changing the name to ensure it can play on as many screens as possible I guess.

I assume they're aiming for a January wide expansion with A Complete Unknown being their holiday wide release. This is premiering at TIFF so Searchlight is banking on a great reception. Anything less and this is DOA.

Edited by AniNate

On 9/3/2024 at 7:41 PM, filmlover said:

Amy is Amazing and was a fan of the director's previous two films but this looks...I dunno. Maybe it's just a tough movie to market? Have to admit I was expecting something a little more nuanced than "The Shaggy Dog, but dirtier."

This is obviously going to flop with a low single digits total though if "In Select Theaters" is all over the marketing, either it's being dumped or they know too many theaters will refuse to play it due to the title (and don't care enough about this to fight them over it). Good for them for sticking to their big guns instead of pulling a Blink Twice (former title: Pussy Island) and changing the name to ensure it can play on as many screens as possible I guess.

i was sort of sure form the beginning this would end up be a modernzied version of 'The Shaggy Dog"/

22 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Adams rising as the front runner for Best Actess ? I’d love that. I mean has any other performance this year by an actress has gotten such unanimous praise ? 

What about Moore/Swinton in The Room Next Door? Haven’t followed that.

Nicole Kidman just won Best Actress at Venice. 

The girl from Anora will probably win, though. 

I would love Demi Moore to be nominated for The Substance but a wildly gory body horror is not the Academy's cup of tea. She does have the comeback narrative and reviews, though. 

Little disappointing reviews seem to indicate it's less horror than indicated and more dramedy, but if it puts Adams in line to finally win an Oscar and NOT for some late career boring biopic (the "career award" win), that'd be swell.