baumer

Monday Numbers

Don't like that AR is in front of Titanic. It better pass AR soon or 2nd weekend drop won't be good.

AR made 1.2 mill more on Sunday than Titanic. So it really doesn't matter if it is in front of it right now. It closed the gap significantly.

Sweet.It seems obvious to me now... Titanic is a non-event. I'm still shocked at how little people care about this re-release.

I don't think that is necessarily true. I just think we overestimated how many people would want to spend 15 bucks on it again.

AR made 1.2 mill more on Sunday than Titanic. So it really doesn't matter if it is in front of it right now. It closed the gap significantly.

That has more to do with the type of movie it is (type of demographics, runtime), not its legs. Or in other words, it didn't drop 47% on sunday because it has bad legs, nor did it drop only 37% on monday because it has good legs.I think more telling is the fact that AR opened on friday while Titanic did on wednesday (some of the upfront demand was taken care of on wed and thu), AR's friday was only 2m higher than Titanic's yet it's still in front if it.I may be wrong but to me that doesn't spell good legs. Unless AR drops like -30% this weekend. Edited by Elessar

I think the 3D killed Titanic. I think people wanted to see it on a big 2D screen, not a 3D one. The thought of spending over 3 hours wearing 3D glasses is ... not an enjoyable one... Great hold for THG ! :)

If that's true then it's a shame, because the 3D is amazing. The best I've seen.

3D had been going downhill for a long time now. I think enough people watched movies with 3D to know what it is like, and that they generally don't like it. And they know what Titanic is like as well. Put the two together... I mean, even Baumer wanted to re-watch Titanic several times, but in 2D. And he was so mad when there wasn't any 2D screen showing at all. It was all 3D ...

3D had been going downhill for a long time now. I think enough people watched movies with 3D to know what it is like, and that they generally don't like it. And they know what Titanic is like as well. Put the two together... I mean, even Baumer wanted to re-watch Titanic several times, but in 2D. And he was so mad when there wasn't any 2D screen showing at all. It was all 3D ...

Yes, I agree with this. I didn't like wearing 3D glasses for 3.5 hours. I love the movie but it was giving me a bit of a headache after a while, so i took them off. It didn't take away from the enjoyment of the film. I simply don't understand why they didn't give us the 2D option. That really did piss me off.

I thought Titanic was going to show in both 2D and 3D

They did, but very little 2D showing. Just as an example, 2 of the theaters I go to had only one 2D showing, not screen, I literally mean it played in 2D one time during the whole day and it was around 10 am.

I think a 2D only re-release would have done less.

But they should of had some 2D showings. Not exclusively 2D, but at least some.

Great Monday for THG. I predicted a 40-45% drop so it did right around what I was expecting. The Tuesday and wednesday drops will definitely be interesting. I don't know what we can expect from those.

Blades of Glory fell 30% on Tuesday, but discount Tuesdays didn't exist back then. We may well see less than 20% drop for THG.