baumer

Monday Numbers

It's more the fact that it dropped 47% yesterday.

Titanic doesn't have all of the IMAX theaters yet....in fact, the number 75 is what I recall right now. It gets the rest of them this weekend. In fact here it is:Paramount is reporting that the audience was 51 percent under the age of 25 (most of whom were probably a bit too young to see the movie on the big screen in 1997), and 60 percent female. They awarded the movie an "A" CinemaScore, which bumped up to an "A+" among women. Eight percent of the grosses came from 79 IMAX screens, and the movie will move on to many more of those screens on Friday when more of the Wrath of the Titans commitments expire. Because it's an all-digital release (meaning theaters can easily switch between 3D and 2D presentations), Paramount is not currently providing a 3D share

Great hold for THG. All setting up for a brilliant hold this weekend. I'm thinking 30-35% (yeah I said it, willing to eat crow if I'm wrong).

Seriously doubt it. It will drop for next three days and will be close to 3.1 million on Thursday. I am not expecting huge increase on Friday either so I just don't see anything less than 40% drop.

Great hold for THG. All setting up for a brilliant hold this weekend. I'm thinking 30-35% (yeah I said it, willing to eat crow if I'm wrong).

Definitely possible. Just depends on how hard it falls today and tomorrow. If it can pace its drops with 21 JS, then it will definitely help its chances.

If it follows Blades of Glory, it will drop 32.5% down to $2,796,671. If it follows the average weekday rate at which its performance against Blades of Glory is changing, it will drop 35.5% down to $2,671,842.On the other hand, the same method with SM3 as the comp suggests an increase of 5.7% to $4,381,434, while Alice suggests a drop of 34.2% down to $2,726,990. I honestly think all of those projections are off, but let's see which comes the closest.Low end projected total is now $360.7M, high projected total is now $385.6M (I've switched the high end comp from Alice to Blades of Glory). Projecting with Alice puts this at $378.7M.

Edited by spizzer

If it follows Blades of Glory, it will drop 32.5% down to $2,796,671. If it follows the average weekday rate at which its performance against Blades of Glory is changing, it will drop 35.5% down to $2,671,842.On the other hand, the same method with SM3 as the comp suggests an increase of 5.7% to $4,381,434, while Alice suggests a drop of 34.2% down to $2,726,990. I honestly think all of those projections are off, but let's see which comes the closest.Low end projected total is now $360.7M, high projected total is now $385.6M (I've switched the high end comp from Alice to Blades of Glory). Projecting with Alice puts this at $378.7M.

It won't drop 32% today, Tuesday discounts will soften that up. But Blades of Glory only dropped 7% on Wednesday and THG will drop a lot harder than that. Blades stayed level on Thursday and had a 151% Friday increase.Blades of Glory's Thursday was 1.766m or 63% of its 2.8m Easter Monday. If THG follows suit it will have a 2.6m Thursday. Following Blade's weekend % increases/drops it will look like this:6.5m Friday8.9m Saturday5m Sunday20.4m 4th weekend.

Numbers from 5 yrs ago cannot be taken into consideration. You have to go with what is current. IMO, if yesterday was not Easter Monday, THG would have fallen 70% to about 2.2 mill. A Tuesday jump of about 20% to put it at 2.65 mill, which means it will fall about 36.5%.

Numbers from 5 yrs ago cannot be taken into consideration. You have to go with what is current. IMO, if yesterday was not Easter Monday, THG would have fallen 70% to about 2.2 mill. A Tuesday jump of about 20% to put it at 2.65 mill, which means it will fall about 36.5%.

70% drop from a deflated Sunday? C'mon baumer I thought you were done hating on this.

Sunday was slightly deflated; it would not have dropped 70%.

If it follows the average weekday rate at which its performance against Blades of Glory is changing, it will drop 35.5% down to $2,671,842.

This is why I like this method the best. It, in a way, accounts for era differences because it's not looking at daily changes. Rather, it takes the running total gross of the two films being compared, takes the ratio of running total gross to opening day, finds the ratio between the two ratios, and then, uses the average weekday rate of change to project the following day. Edited by spizzer

70% drop from a deflated Sunday? C'mon baumer I thought you were done hating on this.

Hating on it? Really? I didn't mean for it to come out that way. It was an honest assessment. And besides, isn't the Sunday number accurate since the rest of weekend is skewed because of Easter as well?

Sunday was slightly deflated; it would not have dropped 70%.This is why I like this method the best. It, in a way, accounts for era differences because it's not looking at daily changes. Rather, it takes the running total gross of the two films being compared, takes the ratio of running total gross to opening day, finds the ratio between the two ratios, and then, uses the average weekday rate of change to project the following day.

And we got pretty much the same number, so I am not hating on it in any way.