IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune 2 fine 2nd weekend

Yep but since Germany's weekend includes Thursday that shouldn't be too far off. I'd go with the 3 multiplier from Wed-Sun, more than 2mil admissions would be very ok for DH5 I think after the horrible reviews.

DH4 had 800.651 moviegoers over the first weekend, so DH5 would be about 100.000 short.

Still a very good number.

That's really poor for DH5 in Germany - not beating the 2nd weekend of Kokowääh2. 2mil is definitely out of play now, 1,5mil will be difficult if the internal weekend multiplier was any indication. So, the least-attended DH film since DH1 (1.3mil)

It did a little better in Austria:

DH5: 71.000 admissions

Kokowääh2: 37.000

DU: 23.000

btw, DH4 made 340.000 admissions in Austria, back in 2007; even with an improbable 3 multiplier, DH5 will not came anywhere near. As I said, a little better than in Germany.

Edited by IndustriousAngel

Yep, as were most weekends this year - 2013 is shaping up to be huuuge if this continues - there's not even a football championship looming in the shadows. In Austria otoh it's been the worst January since I don't know when (10 years at least I'd guess, no time to check atm); the good numbers in Germany were driven by homemade comedies which didn't do as well here.

Germany + Austria Top 13 Feb  14 - 17

TW LW Movie Studio Weekend Change Gross Week
1 N A Good Day to Die Hard Fox $ 6.579.170 - 7.230.277 1
2 1 Kokowääh 2 WB $ 5.819.492 -0,7 14.809.364 2
3 2 Django Unchained Sony $ 3.313.380 -26,7 45.872.032 5
4 3 Schlussmacher Fox $ 1.562.725 -6,5 23.903.061 6
5 5 Fünf Freunde 2 Constantin $ 1.339.365 +13,9 5.528.128 3
6 4 Parker Constantin $ 922.570 -32,2 2.798.834 2
7 N Finding Nemo 3D Disney $ 706.934 - 781.913 1
8 6 Flight Constantin $ 686.628 -30,7 6.560.453 4
9 8 Lincoln Fox $ 641.595 -11,9 4.299.421 4
10 7 The Hobbit 1 WB $ 595.660 -20,6 101.092.775 10
11 9 Life of Pi Fox $ 464.425 -18,2 29.204.413 8
12 11 Ritter Rost Universum/Const. $ 389.969 +14,1 4.478.000 6
13 16 Vampirschwestern Sony $ 286.309 +13,3 7.058.464 8

School Holidays made an impact, so family films had strong holds or managed an increase. DH5's opening is rather disappointing; Nemo3D was not that much of a draw either. Again a strong weekend for the german film industry with 3 releases in the Top5; as of today, domestic films account for more than 40% of this year's revenues, really outstanding!

This weekend, "Les Misérables" finally enters the german market on a wide base, and "Warm Bodies" tries for a recently neglected demo. LM might make it to the Top3, but musicals usually have a hard time here, so I wouldn't bet on it. WB might reach #5. WOM on DH5 seems to be bad, but McClane should manage #2. In limited release, "The Master" might top the arthouse charts, and maybe even enter my Top13-list which would be wonderful!

After a flat 2nd weekend (school holidays), Kokowääh2 is headed for a 40%+ drop in week 3, as is DH5 in week 2 - both are at about 300k admissions for the weekend in the Friday estimates, no safe bet yet as who'll win. Les Misérables should open on #3 with about 175k (decent for a musical in Germany). DU on #4 with 150k, also with about 40% drop. Warm Bodies and Schlussmacher (in its 7th weekend) will battle it out for #5.

Musicals have a hard time in Germany, actually 175k would put Les Misérables at #3 of musical opening weekends. Moulin Rouge opened to 250k, Mamma Mia to 540k. So, not outstanding, but decent. (It should be noted that Musicals tend to have longer legs than other films in Germany - no doubt due to the lower opening screen count - so we should really wait for week 2 or 3 to judge its run)

Hi I am new here, I hope it is o.K. to ask the following questions:

- where do you find the Germany + Austria Top 13 Feb  14 - 17 list?

- Les Miserables: will the numbers of the pre-screening (during the Berlin Filmfestival) be shown as weekend Feb 21 - 24 results or how will they show the small release numbers instead?

Have a nice day

• Like 1

welcome!

I keep the list myself, based on BoxOfficeMojo numbers. I thought since Austria is too small a market to interest anybody, it might be ok to add the numbers to Germany so we get a better representation of the german-speaking market.

Sneaks and Wednesday openings are not counted for the weekend as a rule. I'm not even sure that festivals count as a regular release at all.

welcome!

I keep the list myself, based on BoxOfficeMojo numbers. I thought since Austria is too small a market to interest anybody, it might be ok to add the numbers to Germany so we get a better representation of the german-speaking market.

Sneaks and Wednesday openings are not counted for the weekend as a rule. I'm not even sure that festivals count as a regular release at all.

Thank You for the welcome :)

Hey, nice smilies here :newhere:

Mojo I do know, also InsideKino.... I thought I missed a source.

Normally I wouldn't ask for the pre-results, but according to an article in the NOZ (Osnabrück) I accidently found in the net, they seem to have 'aired' the Berlin premiere into 120 cinemas all over Germany including some coverage of the premiere and a glass of .... whatever = event thingy.

As those kind of 'spread-premiere-events' (???) are new for me (in Germany) I am curious how these kind of results will be presented / accounted for. :sherlock:

So, now that the weekend is over, we do have a winner, and it's Kokowääh2 with about 310k admissions, 3rd weekend in lead. DH5 dropped to about 280k - a 47% drop which spells not flop, but BIG DISAPPOINTMENT, it hasn't yet crossed 1mil after weekend 2.

#3: 155k admissions for DU: Another sub-40%-drop and DU sets its sights to 4mil admissions, incredible really.

The openers were a bit weaker than expected, Les Misérables missed #3 with 140k and Warm Bodies managed about 100k which might be enough for #5 (actuals tomorrow).

In Austria, DH5 #1, Kokowääh2 #2, Les Mis at #3 and DU #4.

Edited by IndustriousAngel