IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune first 2024 blockbuster (3mil admissions)

Hi IndustriosAngel, here on the main side is an article about this weekend

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters ......Germany led the way where the film made a spectacular $5.4M from 408 locations for a blazing #1 opening, which was 700% above Red Riding Hood, 78% above Underworld Awakening, 25% above Snow White and the Huntsman and 328% above Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

Also of note was the opening in Austria, where Hansel grossed an amazing $800k for a clear-cut #1 opening, almost 50% above Snow White and the Huntsman, more than double Underworld Awakening and at more than triple the level of Red Riding Hood and Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

Do you think we have any chance to see  Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons on the big screen? Numbers and reactions (New Zealand) star to make me curios about that movie.

Have you contact to the InsideKino ppl? Their link to the actual weekend results goes to records (Django...)

Germany + Austria Top 13 March 1 - 3

TW LW Movie Studio Weekend Change Gross Week
1 N Hänsel & Gretel PPI/UPI $ 5.974.958 - 6.609.955 1
2 2 Kokowääh 2 WB $ 2.454.623 -29,0 22.487.063 4
3 1 A Good Day to Die Hard Fox $ 2.187.501 -37,7 15.161.826 3
4 3 Django Unchained Sony $ 2.089.809 -3,4 51.824.386 7
5 N 3096 Tage Constantin $ 1.853.965 - 1.900.632 1
6 4 Les Misérables UPI $ 1.476.084 -15,8 4.327.401 2
7 N Parental Guidance Fox $ 786.199 - 789.628 1
8 6 Fünf Freunde 2 Constantin $ 550.550 -37,3 7.251.792 5
9 5 Warm Bodies Concorde/Const. $ 537.091 -43,3 1.839.719 2
10 7 Schlussmacher Fox $ 501.362 -41,1 25.749.658 8
11 9 Lincoln Fox $ 403.668 -16,0 5.594.506 6
12 14 Life of Pi Fox $ 355.338 +25,3 30.079.071 10
13 11 Finding Nemo 3D Disney $ 316.388 -26,1 1.792.254 3

Good opening for H&G, incredible hold (once more) from Django, LoP got the biggest Oscar Push but LesMis and Lincoln had good holds too. Django has now made more than 51mil US$ in Austria and Germany - wow!

This weekend, easily the biggest opener (and the only one going wide) will be Oz. Smaller releases are: Safe Haven, Bullet to the Head and german (co-)productions "NightTrain to Lisbon" and "Liebe und andereTurbulenzen". While Oz should climb to the top of my list with no trouble, it's hard to say how high it may really go - presales look weak but that's the rule for family films. AiW opened to 7mil US$ in Germany - with lower admissions but higher ticket price and Euro-Dollar-rate, I'd say 6mil is the lowest limit. Compared with this week's H&G (which cost about a quarter of Oz I'd guess) this seems weak but with family films it's all about the legs - AiW had a nearly 5x multiplier!

hmmm ... it seems it will be a rather soft opening. As mentioned, with family films it's all about the legs, but still, not a good sign. In some theaters, H&G is selling more tickets than Oz. The only show of Oz which was at least 50% full was the non-dubbed show, I guess US tourists and students made the difference. All dubbed shows were tough sells.

hmmm ... it seems it will be a rather soft opening. As mentioned, with family films it's all about the legs, but still, not a good sign. In some theaters, H&G is selling more tickets than Oz. The only show of Oz which was at least 50% full was the non-dubbed show, I guess US tourists and students made the difference. All dubbed shows were tough sells.

Will you watch it? As I have for the moment no young enough relatives typical for a family film any more I did not develope an 'urge' to watch it.... yet.

It depends on saturday and sunday afternoon, but to me it's not looking that great at the moment.

And Germany has alsways been big if it comes to fantasy movies, so we'll see what happens over the weekend and how it is going to perform in other countries.

"The Wizard of Oz" is surely not a classic over here, so maybe it's backloaded.

Will you watch it? As I have for the moment no young enough relatives typical for a family film any more I did not develope an 'urge' to watch it.... yet.

I think not. I was thinking about H&G which looks like stupid fun but it's only in 3D in my theater - ok, it's a bit of a hybrid, parts were really shot in 3D but other parts got converted, but as a rule I avoid converted 3D.

That's horrible for OZ.

Opening-wise, of course. But it's still Friday, and the final verdict will be how it does next weekend. Obviously there was little awareness and no rush, now let's see if some WOM gets around. But at this point, 1mil admissions look nearly impossible :( - WOM has to be exceptional to get it that far.