EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

49 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, they'll go to bounce houses, trampoline parks, bowling, regular parks, laser tag, arcades, play gyms, I can keep going...

Kids have a LOT of options for kid-focused entertainment that is on par or cheaper than movies right now...and parents can tend to go for free and just watch (vs having to pay for their own ticket)...

Some will, but most won't.  

I mean this with all due respect, but there are millions and millions of families who aren't completely budget constrained and searching for the latest T-Mobile deal and thinking that $8 for Disney+ is outrageously high.  Most families are willing to pay and theaters are still one of the cheaper ways to burn THREE* hours of time.  The families who are having to count every penny were never a core audience to begin with.  They were more apt to head to a public park or pool and let the kids run around for free.  

*putting the time limit on it because the last time this came up you cited a bunch of 1 hour options.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

if people prefer watching movies at home then why are we witnessing audience turn out in phenomenon numbers right now for Top Gun? 

Surely you’re not suggesting it’s a nostalgic toy commercial. It’s the most raved film from audiences and critics in recent memory. 

has a wild indie movie like Everything Everywhere All At Once been a mini sensation? Or did that not happen? 

I’m sorry, I just don’t buy it. 

We’re still not caught up with films being available to theatres at the numbers they will be for next year. But the recovery of the cinema has been apparent to everybody.  Streaming has a place, sure. But it’s not the ‘people prefer staying at home’ sweeping statement you make it out to be. Tell that to the theatres packed out today for a movie that’s been out four weeks and they’re struggling to meet demand for it. 

There’s a place for everything.  And as we’ll find out in due course, nothing comes for free when your stock price starts tumbling.  The tide is turning, when many on here thought it was doomed a year ago. 

Bingo to all of this.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it would have made a lot more sense if Turning Red and Lightyear had switched release strategies. Lightyear, as has been pointed out before, really seems like it would have been better-suited as a direct-to-streaming spinoff, while Turning Red could have been Pixar's triumphant return to original theatrical movies. It probably would have gotten a Chinese release (unlike Lightyear), and it wouldn't have had to worry about Jurassic World: Dominion and Top Gun: Maverick either! 

Edited by El Squibbonator

52 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, they'll go to bounce houses, trampoline parks, bowling, regular parks, laser tag, arcades, play gyms, I can keep going...

Kids have a LOT of options for kid-focused entertainment that is on par or cheaper than movies right now...and parents can tend to go for free and just watch (vs having to pay for their own ticket)...

Lol, if I was a kid and my mother told me we could either go . . . .any of those things you mentioned, I'd have chosen a theater to see a movie. Hell, that's why I so many movies in theaters as a kid, I'd forgo vacations just to see movies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Agreed, i think Pixar is in a transitional phase to focus on the new generation. 

I feel that both Luca and Red is made for gen z, and it works because my social media was infested with teenagers going crazy about both for weeks. 

I understand that maybe their older audience will find a disconnect between their new language and what they grew watching, but it´s definitely not lack of quality, they´re just changing.

Personally i think their 3 last original movies are among their best too, i´m finding this change of direction from them very fresh and exciting, because i really don´t want to see them just redoing old successes. 

Oh, me too. 
Lightyear aside (although it’s a love letter to sci-fi from tv and film of the last 60 years), Pixar’s last few years have felt remarkably fresh. Both from a storytelling point of view and the protagonists, and also the experimental style of the animation. 

Onward, Soul, Luca, Turning Red, Lightyear - they each have dramatically distinct styles of art design and execution.

I love most of their movies, and of course I hold many of the early ones dear like so many of us. But when I do a list every now and again I struggle to justify keeping your Monsters Incs and Cocos above a couple of these. 

Personally I think they’re as good as ever. Whatever one thinks of Lightyear. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, El Squibbonator said:

I think it would have made a lot more sense if Turning Red and Lightyear had switched release strategies. Lightyear, as has been pointed out before, really seems like it would have been better-suited as a direct-to-streaming spinoff, while Turning Red could have been Pixar's triumphant return to original theatrical movies. It probably would have gotten a Chinese release (unlike Lightyear), and it wouldn't have had to worry about Jurassic World: Dominion and Top Gun: Maverick either! 

They'd have probably released Turning Red around Thanksgiving, rather than Christmas and move Strange World to next March. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Lol, if I was a kid and my mother told me we could either go . . . .any of those things you mentioned, I'd have chosen a theater to see a movie. Hell, that's why I so many movies in theaters as a kid, I'd forgo vacations just to see movies.

inside out lol GIF by Disney Pixar

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I noticed Boss Baby was mentioned and because this thread lacks horny, I want to say that Tim’s wife in the sequel is a MILF. She bad.

i haven’t seen it and it isn’t on Disney+. Damn you Chapek for not buying these out as well so I can watch this MILF for free!!!

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

i haven’t seen it and it isn’t on Disney+. Damn you Chapek for not buying these out as well so I can watch this MILF for free!!!

If Dreamworks was still a part of Fox and Katzenberg would have chosen Fox over Universal. . . .Disney would own Shrek.

DISNEY WOULD OWN SHREK

If Shrek 5 doesn't have Shrek dealing with a prima donna Snow Queen villain, I'm gonna riot.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

Just now, motionpic05 said:

So what is The Black Phone looking at for this weekend?

I see some people saying it's too close with subject matter in comparison to recent events, but I think it's a little far fetched. 

High teens-low twentys I would suspect

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

If Dreamworks was still a part of Fox. . . .Disney would own Shrek.

DISNEY WOULD OWN SHREK

then we'd be guaranteed the first 1 billion domestic grosser; live action shrek remake.

1 minute ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

If Dreamworks was still a part of Fox and Katzenberg would have chosen Fox over Universal. . . .Disney would own Shrek.

DISNEY WOULD OWN SHREK

Dreamworks wasn’t owned by Fox, they just had a distribution deal.

1 minute ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I can't hate The Good Dinosaur. The whole sequence with Sam Elliot as a Cowboy T-Rex stopping redneck velociraptor cattle rustlers is so out there and bizarre that it makes the movie.

I hate the dinosaur design in that movie. The environment looks so incredibly amazing and realistic, but the dinos ... they look STINKY. BAD.

The Good Dinosaur was such a disappointment for me. I mean its Pixar + dinosaurs, i should have loved it but i ended up beeing bored and frustrated :sadfleck:

• Sad 1

What I didn't like about The Good Dinosaur is that it had really creative setting but didn't tell a particularly interesting story with it. I had the same issue with Raya and the Last Dragon, and I'm concerned that Strange World might have that problem too. 

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

If Dreamworks was still a part of Fox. . . .Disney would own Shrek.

DISNEY WOULD OWN SHREK

imagine the irony of that. Owning an IP that their animation head honcho left to make which took the piss out of their classic catalogue. 

Although tbf they’ve sort of just made their own crack at themselves with Rescue Rangers. I don’t know how that one even got made. Glad it did though!