EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, they are. 

Just because you didn´t like them, it doesn´t mean everyone feel this way. 

Soul / Luca / Red not only had great to excellent reviews, they´re all also gets insanely good reception from audiences as well. 

Soul was an all time record breaker on streaming, and it stayed on charts for months. Luca was literally the most watched movie of 2021 considering all streaming platforms, Turning Red is another globally record breaking movie on D+, and both Luca and Red have an insane staying power on Nielsen charts and excellent social media engagement. 

With the data we have, it´s fair to say audiences loved all the 3 original movies Pixar dropped in the past 16 months, so there´s no problem with audiences and Pixar, the problem is that everyone get used to see it on D+ for free, and now Lightyear is mega bomb probably because of some combo of factors. Everyone knows the movie will be on streaming for free in 30-45 days, it doesn´t look like it has a good enough hook overall for most people, there´s controversy surrounding it and the reception are low tier Pixar even if it´s still good. 

I might just be getting too old, lol.

Pixar was, and in some way is a master at drawing in both adults and young audiences. Their films have something for everyone. However, Soul feels like it skews towards a much more adult/older audience while Luca skewed too young. I like Turning Red, I like it alot, I felt it got it right. But no doubt they're big hits in the streaming market.

And I don't think it's D+ that's the issue for Lightyear. Literally every goddamn advertisement and trailer screamed "ONLY IN THEATERS" sometimes twice. People just weren't that interested. 

It will still make a killing on D+.

• Like 2

I think @Eric Lightyear have quite a good point but his words get somewhat twisted. 

The problem isn´t animation movies or families locked at home, everyone knows theaters are back and families are going out to watch movies like NWH or JW

But when it comes to Disney, this became a real problem, and blame Chapek for that. For the past 2 years, everyone was seeing Pixar movies at home for free, they´re all very well received movies but still, people get used to watch these movies on this specific platform. 

Pixar movies (and to some extent Disney animations) was theatrical events just like any other movie, and since the pandemic they aren´t anymore because Chapek deliberately choose to focus on D+ and take from the movies this feeling that they are meant to be seeing in a big screen. It´s not that the families aren´t going on a theater, it´s just that there´s other options and everyone knows in a month Lightyear will be there for free and they can watch it at home because that´s how everyone watched the previous Pixar movies and it doesn´t make them bad. People can save their money and watch something else on theaters while they wait for Lightyear on D+. 

Minions won´t suffer for that because their brand aren´t attached to a streaming service and a home experience, but Pixar movies are, and i would argue Disney animations aren´t very far from this either. What Disney needs to get done, is convince their audience again that these movies are a big screen experience and not something that will be equally good in a month when it hits their service. 

I do think they tried to sell Lightyear this way, but clearly it didn´t erase the habits on watching Pixar on D+ or it would do better. Of course this is not the only reason the movie is a bomb, like i said, the hook doesn´t seem good enough to GA and the reception are low tier for them, but still this a big deal, you can´t make your audience get used to something for 2 years and then suddenly expect everyone will get back to pay for a ticket.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

the first half is great, but once those other superheroes show up it definitely takes a backward step. 

The thing is, Incredibles 1 imo is a pure joyride from start to finish. Theres not even 1 scene where i would even consider to skip a few minutes. Incredibles 2 ... after having seen it, for rewatches you can skip like 40% of the movie and you woudnt miss those minutes.

Incredibles 2 does have some true highlights (i totally agree with the Raccoon scene beeing great), but theres so much unneccessary noise in that movie that it really feels slow. Plus, the villain is one of the worst in Pixar history, while Syndrome is an all-time best.

If Incredibles 1 woudnt exist, Incredibles 2 would be a lot higher in my book i think. But as the sequel to that first one ... it just doesnt come even close in quality in my opinion.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, they are. 

Just because you didn´t like them, it doesn´t mean everyone feel this way. 

Soul / Luca / Red not only had great to excellent reviews, they´re all also gets insanely good reception from audiences as well. 

Soul was an all time record breaker on streaming, and it stayed on charts for months. Luca was literally the most watched movie of 2021 considering all streaming platforms, Turning Red is another globally record breaking movie on D+, and both Luca and Red have an insane staying power on Nielsen charts and excellent social media engagement. 

With the data we have, it´s fair to say audiences loved all the 3 original movies Pixar dropped in the past 16 months, so there´s no problem with audiences and Pixar, the problem is that everyone get used to see it on D+ for free, and now Lightyear is mega bomb probably because of some combo of factors. Everyone knows the movie will be on streaming for free in 30-45 days, it doesn´t look like it has a good enough hook overall for most people, there´s controversy surrounding it and the reception are low tier Pixar even if it´s still good. 

I’d actually put Soul, Luca and Red right up there with their best. 

Luca in particular was absolutely delightful. Adored the style of it. Felt like I’d been on holiday (sorry Americans…vacation) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AnDr3s said:

crazy that demon slayer is the highest grossing animated movie in the last 2 years 

Have you seen it? It becomes a lot less crazy after that.

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

The thing is, Incredibles 1 imo is a pure joyride from start to finish. Theres not even 1 scene where i would even consider to skip a few minutes. Incredibles 2 ... after having seen it, you can skip like 40% of the movie and you woudnt miss those minutes.

Incredibles 2 does have some true highlights (i totally agree with the Raccoon scene beeing great), but theres so much unneccessary noise in that movie that it really feels slow. Plus, the villain is one of the worst in Pixar history, while Syndrome is an all-time best.

If Incredibles 1 woudnt exist, Incredibles 2 would be a lot higher in my book i think. But as the sequel to that first one ... it just doesnt come even close in quality in my opinion.

Incredibles 2 is nuts. It has the villain trying to outright murder Elastigirl with an axe.

20 minutes ago, belblazer said:

Insane numbers for Top Gun. Wonder Woman will finally have company as the only $100M-openers in history with a 4x+ multi.

Technically Wonder Woman only hit a 3.996x multi, so Top Gun would actually be the first to hit the milestone

Spoiler

Also has a good chance of being the first to pass 5x as well :sparta:

Edited by Cheddar Please
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m going to put it on now. 
haven’t seen it for years but remember it was one insane movie.  

I think it's disappointing when you go in expecting everything that Pixar was delivering up to that point. But when you go back to it knowing what it is it's a good time 

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Best two animated movies from the list 2 years are both Japanese, nothing abnormal there. 

still traumatized when boss baby was nominated for an oscar over a silent voice 

Edited by AnDr3s

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Have you seen it? It becomes a lot less crazy after that.

its great but anime movies don't usually blow up like that (i mean sequels of an anime series obviously)

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I think it's disappointing when you go in expecting everything that Pixar was delivering up to that point. But when you go back to it knowing what it is it's a good time 

It’s much more like the sort of movie Illumination now make every other year. It was unexpected from Pixar for sure, but I definitely had a wild time with it. 

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’d actually put Soul, Luca and Red right up there with their best. 

Luca in particular was absolutely delightful. Adored the style of it. Felt like I’d been on holiday (sorry Americans…vacation) 

Agreed, i think Pixar is in a transitional phase to focus on the new generation. 

I feel that both Luca and Red is made for gen z, and it works because my social media was infested with teenagers going crazy about both for weeks. 

I understand that maybe their older audience will find a disconnect between their new language and what they grew watching, but it´s definitely not lack of quality, they´re just changing.

Personally i think their 3 last original movies are among their best too, i´m finding this change of direction from them very fresh and exciting, because i really don´t want to see them just redoing old successes.