Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

I don't know what happened but the Brazilian Real brutally lost value these last 3 days, from $1 = R$3.12 to R$3.19

Every time I'm hopeful about the exchange rate I end up being disappointed, it's depressing to follow this...Being under R$3 would be so good for movies in USD, I really hope it can happen before the release of Thor 3 and Justice League but I'm increasingly pessimistic about that :(

OK, I found why :

Brazil president weakened by graft charge, losing fiscal battle

BRASILIA (Reuters) - Brazilian President Michel Temer has burned through political capital fighting corruption charges and is struggling to push forward his economic agenda meant to rein in a gaping budget deficit.

Even allies in Congress now doubt he can achieve anything but watered-down measures, likely delaying any fix to Brazil's fiscal crisis until the economy recovers from deep recession.

With continued deficits, Brazil risks further downgrades in its credit rating. It lost its investment grade two years ago, adding to the cost of financing mounting public debt.

In a sign of Temer's failure to restore fiscal health, the government is expected to revise upward its 2017 and 2018 deficit targets on Monday due to falling tax revenues in an economy that is barely growing.

More pessimistic analysts worry the insolvency already faced by some Brazilian states that cannot pay employees or provide basic services will reach the federal government.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-politics-idUSKBN1AR254

That's definitely bad.

40 minutes ago, EduardoMoraes said:

FRIDAY

Apes
Valerian
Transformers
Dunkirk
DM3
Homecoming
Malasartes
Filme da Minha Vida
Baby Driver
Reino Gelado (Larissa Manoela isn't really a draw)
HJZ9WRy.gif

The only thing Larissa did draw was the failure 

So sad (but expected) about Malasartes. I loved the movie. Sweet, innocent, funny, good actings, full of plot twists and it has good special effects (for its budget)... it has some problems, but the balance is positive to me, 7.5/10 . It reminds me O Auto da Compadecida. I want more movies like that. I totally recommend at least see it on a cheap day if you can. @Napoleon

Edited by alisson23
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

So sad (but expected) about Malasartes. I loved the movie. Sweet, innocent, funny, good actings, full of plot twists and it has good special effects (for its budget)... it has some problems, but the balance is positive to me, 7.5/10 . It reminds me O Auto da Compadecida. I want more movies like that. I totally recommend at least see it on a cheap day if you can. @Napoleon

I became aware that this movie would be released through this topic
eRcshXy.gif

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, alisson23 said:

Unfortunately I moved to a small town a few months ago and we only have one cinema with 2 screens and they only show big movies, so I won't have a chance to see it. But you made me curious about it, I'll check it if it's on Netflix later.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EduardoMoraes said:

I became aware that this movie would be released through this topic
eRcshXy.gif

I really don't understand this distributor. The budget of the movie was R$15M, an above average budget for Brazilian movies, and it had a horrible marketing. I was lucky to discover this movie. I was at the right show and at the right theater when I saw its trailer.

23 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Unfortunately I moved to a small town a few months ago and we only have one cinema with 2 screens and they only show big movies, so I won't have a chance to see it. But you made me curious about it, I'll check it if it's on Netflix later.

I understand, but do not worry. As soon as this cinema starts to grow in public, they will expand it. Nice you'll check it out. I hope you enjoy it!

Annabelle is being released this week and the hype is massive. My midnight show is already sold out, and most of cinemas are bringing the first movie back to the screen, they must be expecting a huge breakout from it.

Brazil is the second biggest market for The Conjuring franchise, I'm expecting A:C to surpass the first movie and become the biggest TCU movie here.

I'm also predicting it to sell more tickets than Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Annabelle is being released this week and the hype is massive. My midnight show is already sold out, and most of cinemas are bringing the first movie back to the screen, they must be expecting a huge breakout from it.

Brazil is the second biggest market for The Conjuring franchise, I'm expecting A:C to surpass the first movie and become the biggest TCU movie here.

I'm also predicting it to sell more tickets than Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

I don't know about passing GOTG2 in tickets (possible but you're so obsessed about this movie, this hatred is uncommon..) but yeah we can expect great numbers for this movie given the past trends.

1 hour ago, MinaTakla said:

@FullbusterDM3 actuals in Brazil: $38.3m

In number of tickets sold Despicable me 3 is the biggest film of the year in Brazil.

1.Despicable me 3 = 8.669.546

2.The fate of the furious = 8.444.470

3.Beauty and beast = 8.289.228

4.Wonder Woman = 7.038.639

5.Spider man homecoming= 6.548.776

6.Logan= 6.434.801

7.Moana= 5.129.602

8.The Shack= 5.098.820

9.fifty shades darker= 4.609.994

10.guardians of the galaxy 2= 4.181.125

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

@FullbusterDM3 actuals in Brazil: $38.3m

Thanks ;) So it's a bit better (+0.1m), it probably won't reach $39m but that's so impressive for animated movie because prices are usually lower than many other genres. I'll need to make comparisons in admissions :)

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Spider-Man Homecoming reached R$101.2m, officially becoming the first Spidey movie to pass R$100m, that's amazing!

giphy.gif

Thanks for the update. I live here in Brazil but I barely follow the box office updates from here. How much do you think it can still make it? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Thanks for the update. I live here in Brazil but I barely follow the box office updates from here. How much do you think it can still make it? 

That's the end of its run, maybe it'll get an extra $1m but that's it.

Anyway you probably should pay more attention to your Brazilian market, it's one of the fastest-growing markets in the world and the potential is pretty high, it's far from mature.

I know that numbers are not that huge, particularly with that terrible exchange rate.

The US box office, the one you seem to focus on, is great, I love it too, and it's huge...but mostly stagnant, unfortunately....same thing in Western Europe. But not Brazil, so try to give it some thought ^^

• Like 1