Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

14 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

The “bad WOM narrative” is never going away, because it has bad WOM.

Feels like JP and JW flicks have legs no matter what so I guess I can see where you're coming from. I don't think it's bad WOM. But, I do think it's worse WOM than even JPIII had. There's only one reliable franchise with dinos. The expectation bar is extremely low for JP and JW movies. Give me dinos that look great. Give me fun. That's it. But, really, just give me dinos that look great. If that is satisfied, most GP viewers are satisfied with the big dino flick because there are no other big dino flicks and unlike MCU, DCEU, etc. you don't have to have any prolonged investment to enjoy. Like the early Transformers movies(first three), it's almost hard for these to not have decent legs even with wobbly WOM especially with summer days to boost weekday numbers and these are all, whether good bad or in between, the epitome of summer blockbusters. The new trilogy of Jurassic flicks remind me of Bay's first 3 Transformers flicks mroe than anything. By the way, Bay's first three Transformers were pretty fun on the big screen too. I don't mean that as slight. They delivered spectacle... Like the JW movies.

When comparing ticket sold for the 6 movies (JW series v. first three Transformers) what would the order be?

Jurassic World

Transformers Revenge of Fallen

Transformers

Transformers Dark of the Moon

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom

Jurassic Word Dominion

Or, would JWFK be higher than 5th? Maybe it would be 3rd? I'm not sure.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

8 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

“Dino movie good” is completely unrelated to my observation

Jokes aside, i dont think Dominion has bad WOM. But i think that depends on the personal definition of bad WOM. For me, it should be applied when the holds are significantly worse than comparable movies. And so far Dominions holds have been a bit worse than Fallen Kingdom, but not significantly so. So i disagree that its WOM is bad. I think its just average/mediocre.

30 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Bad WOM narrative never hold much ground. If it had bad WOM, it woudnt be at 300M DOM after Sunday. At the same time, its holds so far arent good enough to give it the label of "good/very good" WOM either. Thus i think its WOM is solid. Neither very good nor bad.

I tend to think the terrible reviews did most of the damage, turning some people off limiting the potential on OW and beyond, while WOM has been OK, among the potential audience who weren’t already dissuaded by reviews 

The opposite of MoM, where reviews were fine but early WOM was not good, and really pushed those 2nd & 3rd weeks much lower (and really Sat & Sun of OW too)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

When comparing ticket sold for the 6 movies (JW series v. first three Transformers) what would the order be?

Jurassic World

Transformers Revenge of Fallen

Transformers

Transformers Dark of the Moon

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom

Jurassic Word Dominion

Or, would JWFK be higher than 5th? Maybe it would be 3rd? I'm not sure.

I think FK could be slighty ahead for Dark of the Moon. The higher ticket price for FK (2018) compared to Dark of the Moon (2011) is offset by TF3's way higher 3D share of tickets, so adjusting for inflation becomes tricky. They should be very close in any case.

• Like 1

Just now, Legion and Thunder said:

I don’t even know what “not bad, just mediocre” is supposed to mean. Being mediocre *is* bad. Perhaps we must first solve The Problem of Meaning 🤔

"Who will I argue with this week about the meaning of words"

One schtick dies so a new one can rise. 

17 hours ago, LegendaryBen said:

Thank you, Eric for taking action! Also, love your avatar! Brings back great memories when I was in 7th grade loving Lilo and Stitch!

Rewatched it for the first time in like...fifteen years, since I'm seeing Elvis in about an hour. It's one of those rare kids movies where it's even better than I remembered when I was younger. Hope I can find a way to use "Oh good! My dog found the chainsaw!" in regular conversation someday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

elvis was actually the busiest showing i've been to since COVID. The crowd was 80% grandmas, the whole squad took the day off bingo to go see this. i don't think the ethels and mildreds were ready for some of the Bazisms though.

• Haha 10

8 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

"Who will I argue with this week about the meaning of words"

One schtick dies so a new one can rise. 

All arguments are about the meaning of words ;) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

elvis was actually the busiest showing i've been to since COVID. The crowd was 80% grandmas, the whole squad took the day off bingo to go see this. i don't think the ethels and mildreds were ready for some of the Bazisms though.

I don't know if my mom likes or has ever seen Moulin Rouge or Great Gatsby, but I'm scared she's gonna hate the movie and think it's too flashy or weird. The only movies she likes are middling Oscar bait, so maybe this will be too much for her.

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Bad WOM narrative never hold much ground. If it had bad WOM, it woudnt be at 300M DOM after Sunday. At the same time, its holds so far arent good enough to give it the label of "good/very good" WOM either. Thus i think its WOM is solid. Neither very good nor bad.

That’s what I meant, it seems some people on various forums saying that the WOM is bad and “toxic” in spite of the holds not indicating that at all.

1 hour ago, Legion and Thunder said:

The “bad WOM narrative” is never going away, because it has bad WOM.

You have literally no evidence for this now. Its holding well without any substantial drops. 

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

I don't know if my mom likes or has ever seen Moulin Rouge or Great Gatsby, but I'm scared she's gonna hate the movie and think it's too flashy or weird. The only movies she likes are middling Oscar bait, so maybe this will be too much for her.

Sorry but she might walk out 46 seconds in

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Elvis demo.  Yup, still old white women as the primary demo, even more so than other musical bios...

Of course, coming in at around $30-32M means this didn't break as big as a lot expected - it just lived in the demo expected...

From Deadline...

"Elvis skewed heavily female at 58% with a massive 30% over 55 years old...Elvis pulled in a crowd that was close to 80% over 25, 61% over 35 and close to half over 45. Both those over 50 (43%) and the 35+ crowd (60%) on CinemaScore gave Elvis a solid A. Diversity demos were 62% Caucasian, 20% Latino and Hispanic, 7% Black, & 11% Asian/other. Elvis triumphed in the South where the movie notched five out of its ten runs. PLF Screens have driven 21% of the box office to date; those screens split among three other titles. Disney has all the Imax for Lightyear." 

That's actually a pretty diverse demo for an audience that old. Probably because of its popularity in the south.

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

How about the fact that people didn't seem to care for the movie even when it was announced. Blaming a lesbian kiss feels like working backwards from the conclusion you want to derive - only Supreme Court justices are allowed to do that in the US. 

The lesbian kiss is way way way down the list of reasons it flopped. It felt like a Cars 2 rather than a Toy Story 5

Disney took a $200m crap on film, and is letting everyone do the Spider-Man pointing meme over why. Turns out bigots, the tolerant, and the allies have no interest in watching a steaming pile of crap, but we live in such a politicized time that everyone thinks the turd is the fault of their political opponents. Waiting for some Republican to say "Thanks Obama" and Dems to call for Russian disinformation to be investigated for this film underperforming, lol. Is there an off-brand Toy Story Republicans can rally around, like they did with those off-brand Oreos? 

2 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

Lightyear should skew towards young adults who grew up with Toy Story and families with young children which means general younger parents, both of those crowds are far more pro LGBT than say boomers and yet Lightyear bombed

Young white adults who are liberal tend to have no children, or only 1. LY had a spectacularly white audience for a children's film these days. And the ratio of parents to kids was 1:1, which is also pretty low. Conservatives and minorities tend to have >2 kids, and at younger ages. So I have little doubt that LY brought in a liberal, white audience. You look at something like Dora, and I think the ratio was over 2 kids per adult, and incredibly diverse. Roughly half of children these days are a minority, and of the remaining half, most are children of conservatives (or independents). White liberal kids are a tiny minority these days. 

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Watching Man from Toronto on Netflix. Woody Harrelson is so clearly supposed to be Jason Statham it isn't even funny. He dresses like Statham, his demeanor is like Statham and the character design is Statham. They didn't have enough time to change it to Harrelson since Statham dropped out like a couple of weeks before filming

How was the movie? My mom liked the old show, and she loves Jason Statham. I'm sure she'll be bummed to find Woody in this, lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

That’s what I meant, it seems some people on various forums saying that the WOM is bad and “toxic” in spite of the holds not indicating that at all.

These people most of the time have no real understanding how the box office works and most of them probably just want to hate on JW for the fun of it so they wont listen to any actual arguments. Its best to ignore such people.

Ive said it numerous times but "toxic" WOM is really, really rare. When it comes to big blockbusters, only BvS comes to mind from recent times if im not forgetting something right now.