Eric the Minion

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

22 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

The series was a bit before my time so I don't understand how Shrek movies are so big like that? 

I saw Shrek in theaters opening weekend. I was like 7 or 8. It’s truly one of those “you just had to be there”.

There was the novelty factor of all the fairy tale characters in a huge movie. It was kind of like a cinematic universe.

The A-list voice cast of Mike Meyers (at his Austin Powers peak), Eddie Murphy, and Cameron Diaz. 

It just became immediately iconic and quotable. “In the morning, I’m making waffles!”. It was all fresh and hit zeitgeist with the irreverent humor that appealed to all ages, mixed with high concept action and creative animation. Big contemporary soundtrack, too. This was at a time comedy still dominated theatrically, Simpsons was still on air, South Park was popular, and Family Guy newly premiered. Animation was finally beginning to expand following Toy Story 2. By the time the sequel happened, it became a home video beast and everyone had a favorite character. It’s why scenestealers like Pinocchio had an expanded role. 

Shrek was the original meme. It’s how people communicated and bonded before social media 

I think comedies are probably the hardest cultural phenomenas to explain. Action movies, horrors, they make sense to explain. We all saw Avatar in 2009 because the 3D! But comedies? What Women Want with Mel Gibson made almost 200million. Jim Carrey got Liar Liar to blockbuster numbers because slapstick was popular in pop culture. Napoleon Dynamite probably makes no sense to a zoomer, but "Vote For Pedro" shirts were everywhere in 2004 and 2005. Bridesmaids was first time there was a big studio comedy by and for women that was raunchy. Animal House was a counter culture movie in the 70s regarding the frustrations of oppression and boomers. In the 90s, SNL had a big, new catchphrase a week.

Humor in general is just so subjective and dictated by surprise and the unexpected. They're trends and people like to jump on trends. Shrek is basically postmodern now because it lived its life and now has been rebirthed as some ironic cultural object. 

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I think comedies are probably the hardest cultural phenomenas to explain. Action movies, horrors, they make sense to explain. We all saw Avatar in 2009 because the 3D! But comedies? What Women Want with Mel Gibson made almost 200million. Jim Carrey got Liar Liar to blockbuster numbers because slapstick was popular in pop culture. Napoleon Dynamite probably makes no sense to a zoomer, but "Vote For Pedro" shirts were everywhere in 2004 and 2005. Bridesmaids was first time there was a big studio comedy by and for women that was raunchy. Animal House was a counter culture movie in the 70s regarding the frustrations of oppression and boomers. In the 90s, SNL had a big, new catchphrase a week.

Humor in general is just so subjective and dictated by surprise and the unexpected. They're trends and people like to jump on trends. Shrek is basically postmodern now because it lived its life and now has been rebirthed as some ironic cultural object. 

Liar Liar also just had the benefit of Jim Carrey on his major career upswing coupled with a killer comedic premise.

Home Alone is another one (#3 all-time at the time) that seems like a head-scratcher on paper, but man did everyone love all the physical comedy and ofc the public really responded to Macaulay in the role.

• Like 1

Just now, Jiffy said:

Liar Liar also just had the benefit of Jim Carrey on his major career upswing coupled with a killer comedic premise.

Yeah, that's another thing. Movies, especially comedies, used to be so star driven. People would go see basically ANY Jim Carrey or Adam Sandler movie. For a while, even Vince Vaughn sold movies! 

Nowadays, outside of Leo DiCaprio... nobody really goes to movies for a specific actor anymore. And the ones who had consistent fanbases have migrated to streaming like Kevin Hart and Sandler. While the rest (Carrey, Mike Myers) have kinda bounced around IPs or flopped/struggle to recapture the magic on a lost audience. 

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Except Hollywood, comedies are one of the best genre at the box office across world.

didn't Hollywood stop giving up on them because of concerns over international box office? Some American humor doesn't translate as well worldwide, so they stopped seeing the worth

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

didn't Hollywood stop giving up on them because of concerns over international box office? Some American humor doesn't translate as well worldwide, so they stopped seeing the worth

May be but still you have world's biggest single market as domestic, that alone should be enough to justify making them.

Also its not like American humor is complete alien. American sitcoms are very popular across world.

26 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

May be but still you have world's biggest single market as domestic, that alone should be enough to justify making them.

Also its not like American humor is complete alien. American sitcoms are very popular across world.

You can't sell toys off of studio comedies. Therefore, studios and audiences alike refuse to turn up.

• Sad 1

Although I will say it is surprising there hasn't been a Jason Blum type in the world of comedy movies, because I think that's a genre you can adapt into very cheap production budgets that make it easy to land a profit, even if the movie only does like midrange box office. Obviously if you're doing these movies cheap you can't get Kevin Hart or Ryan Reynolds, but Blumhouse is able to get strong, big-name talent attached to their projects, both in front of and behind the camera, for a good majority of their movies. The blueprint for big, but affordable comedy star vehicles is already there with new movies like Easter Sunday and Bros. Why isn't there a guy out there pushing these kinds of movies out in the same way Blumhouse is rocking things right now across several studios and services?

The two closest examples we got are Judd Apatow, who used to be everywhere but now only directs/produces a movie every couple of years, and Will Packer, who only does like two movies a year, and half the time it's a schlocky thriller like Breaking In or No Good Deed or the upcoming Beast. It's just baffling to me nobody has decided to do something with this potential gold mine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Why isn't there a guy out there pushing these kinds of movies out in the same way Blumhouse is rocking things right now across several studios and services?

The people that would do this probably agree with someone like Todd Phillips about how pc madness is killing comedy.

2 hours ago, thedude11 said:

Shrek was so big it’s hard to explain. I was 6 when the first one came out and suddenly the world was just injected with Shrek everything. soundtrack, merch, video games, TV, and it just continued with the next movie. Shrek’s cultural impact was enormous. 

Shrek was so big that All Star, I Need a Hero, and even Hallelujah got completely linked to them. I’ve heard people reference “Hallelujah from Shrek”

44 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Shrek was so big that All Star, I Need a Hero, and even Hallelujah got completely linked to them. I’ve heard people reference “Hallelujah from Shrek”

I need a hero Shrek 2 version is not only the rare occurrence where remake is better than original but also that whole sequence is one of the greatest Animated Movie moments ever.

Between This, Kug Fu Panda 2 Po vs Shen and Toothless vs Bewilderbeast, Dreamworks has some of the greatest climaxes ever in animated movies.

Coincidentally all 3 were part 2s of the franchise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longleo90 said:

1B has been locked for JWD

No its not locked. It all depends on good late legs DOM and current OS markets and it especially depends on Japan. Theres imo still a higher chance that it ends up in the somewhat annoying 960 - 980M range.

But 1B is back on the menu as a possibility, that is true.