Eric the Fall Guy

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

Imma be honest here, like obviously Top Gun 2 is the story of the summer and the most incredible performance...but Minions 2 is not that far behind, and you could make a solid argument that it's the crazier opener. The last couple movies had bad reception and most animated franchises similar to this like Ice Age get some big diminishing returns. So how is this going leaps and bounds ahead of DM3 and debuting only slightly behind the first Minions? It can't just be Lightyear bombing. Is it just because of the Minions name? I don't get it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eric the Minion said:

. So how is this going leaps and bounds ahead of DM3 and debuting only slightly behind the first Minions? It can't just be Lightyear bombing. Is it just because of the Minions name? I don't get it.

No lesbians kissing in the movie and no Chris Evans who is box office poison.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 2

4 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Imma be honest here, like obviously Top Gun 2 is the story of the summer and the most incredible performance...but Minions 2 is not that far behind, and you could make a solid argument that it's the crazier opener. The last couple movies had bad reception and most animated franchises similar to this like Ice Age get some big diminishing returns. So how is this going leaps and bounds ahead of DM3 and debuting only slightly behind the first Minions? It can't just be Lightyear bombing. Is it just because of the Minions name? I don't get it.

Lack of big family films exploding since Sonic 2 helped it, Comcast puts in the effort for marketing and it helped that no streaming service to dilute its impact like Lightyear did (Man, Chapek really fucked up there).

I think this shows theatrical animation is definitely alive, but it needs to be far away from a streaming window or more likely a big streamer. I mean Bad Guys legged it to almost 100M with a 70 day window and I think if it opened earlier, it’d do 125M minimum. Sonic 2 also exploded. I also think the five year wait helped increase demand rather than if it opened in 2020 in a pandemic less world.

On a small note, I’m on Puss in Boots doing 150M now because of how good Comcast is at marketing.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

I'm a bit meh about Illumination but it's clear they know their audience and that does create an issue for Disney and Pixar because if their films are more expensive than Illumination but they cannot cut their budgets to a level without compromising the quality.

• Like 1