Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

18 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

Honestly though with the way games drop prices, it makes reselling kind of not worth it. Unless it is like Nintendo or something. 

I tend to not replay games once I have finished them. So it didn’t  make sense to hold onto the CD’s. I would usually just take it back to gamestop but later on I switched to trading games with other people or selling on p2p platforms. Sure the return wasn’t much but better than 0. And trading was even better since I would get to play a new game for free essentially. 

16 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Radio, which was far bigger and more widespread than streaming at its peak did not kill off cinema.

TV, which was far bigger and more widespread than streaming at its peak did not kill off cinema.

Home video, which was far bigger and more widespread than streaming at its peak did not kill off cinema.

We've been here before. We will be again.

Perhaps I could have been clearer in my post but I was not saying that streaming is gonna kill cinema. I was arguing that it is streaming, as opposed to superhero genre, that has changed movie going habits and caused a dearth of mid budget movies. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

I would say that MINIONS, which cost a mere $80m, and is going gangbusters at the box office, is a mid budget movie.

well that's a cartoon and it's probably the only example you can think of.

Movies of similar quality/length made in America and not France have budgets of like $150 million.

Is anything going to "kill" theaters as in reduce yearly global gross to 0? No.  

Is anything going to "kill" the 2000-2015 moviegoing paradigm? Almost certainly. Theaters are still around but the form and the social engagement is pretty different than 1960 and it'll be pretty different again in 2040.

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 3

Just to add my two cents to the movie going habits of people now. If you use me as an example, look at it this way.

Pre-covid, let's even say 2019. I used to go to the movies around 75 - 100 times a year. I would go see everything and anything and this was my movie going habits for about 20 years.

Now I am much more selective with what I go see knowing full well that I can watch things on Netflix or Amazon Prime or crave or Disney or shudder or whatever streaming service I have.

It's unfortunate but as much as I love the big screen feel of going to see a movie, everything is expensive now. I pay more for my car, gas, my food my food for my dogs and so on. And unfortunately I don't have the disposable income to just go see whatever movie I feel like seeing.

I will still go see most Marvel and DC films and of course big tent poles like Top Gun and the matrix. But when it comes to Jordan peele's latest movie or even Steven Spielberg's films like west side story, I'll just wait until they come on a streaming service and watch them there.

Take that for what it is.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Just to add my two cents to the movie going habits of people now. If you use me as an example, look at it this way.

Pre-covid, let's even say 2019. I used to go to the movies around 75 - 100 times a year. I would go see everything and anything and this was my movie going habits for about 20 years.

Now I am much more selective with what I go see knowing full well that I can watch things on Netflix or Amazon Prime or crave or Disney or shudder or whatever streaming service I have.

It's unfortunate but as much as I love the big screen feel of going to see a movie, everything is expensive now. I pay more for my car, gas, my food my food for my dogs and so on. And unfortunately I don't have the disposable income to just go see whatever movie I feel like seeing.

I will still go see most Marvel and DC films and of course big tent poles like Top Gun and the matrix. But when it comes to Jordan peele's latest movie or even Steven Spielberg's films like west side story, I'll just wait until they come on a streaming service and watch them there.

Streaming made movies less eventful.

• Like 1

Forget inflation, I'd have seen Turning Red like 5 times in theaters if it was in theaters.

Encanto would have 100% been a $300 million domestic type of deal if it wasn't kneecapped by streaming too. But when you announce it's going there a month from release, it's harder. It's just too big on streaming for me to think otherwise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don’t think the average moviegoer is cutting back from seeing 100 movies a year to just a few tentpoles because of inflation lmao

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

Same for me, but with video games. What is the use of going to Gamestop or Best Buy and buying a game when i can just go on PSN or Eshop and buy the game at home?

I still like to go to GameStop for some things. Right now, I need a new wireless headset for my PS5 so I’m gonna go and get one in store because I have enough points for a $25 coupon plus the $5 monthly discount you get for being a rewards member. 

On the other hand I’ll be preordering GoW:R through PSN. 

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Encanto would have 100% been a $300 million domestic type of deal if it wasn't kneecapped by streaming too

This seems... Extremely dubious. With a 120 day window maybe it could grab like 180?

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

well that's a cartoon and it's probably the only example you can think of.

Movies of similar quality/length made in America and not France have budgets of like $150 million.

Cartoons don't count as movies?

A non-comprehensive list off the top of my head...

THE CONJURING series

JOHN WICK series

A QUIET PLACE

JOKER

The recent HALLOWEEN movies

Jordan Peele movies

M. Night Shyamalan movies

GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE

LITTLE WOMEN

KNIVES OUT

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Cartoons don't count as movies?

A non-comprehensive list off the top of my head...

THE CONJURING series

JOHN WICK series

A QUIET PLACE

JOKER

The recent HALLOWEEN movies

Jordan Peele movies

M. Night Shyamalan movies

GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE

LITTLE WOMEN

KNIVES OUT

well some of those aren't mid budget as they are low budget.

And of course I count cartoons as movies. Do you see my icon lmao.

6 hours ago, KJsooner said:

Hot take Jurassic World:Dominion is better than every MCU film(Minus NWH) since the beginning of 2021.

I wish i could agree, but as a Jurassic fan, i would rewatch this more over 2021 MCU movies. 

But still better than SC is a stretch, Thor i think is equal.

Better than BW, Dr Strange, Eternals though. 

Just now, cannastop said:

maybe. But it is a phenomenon on streaming. Maybe more like $250 million dom. 🤷‍♂️

It became a phenomenon once people could see it for free, but it wasn't successful at getting people to pay based on the marketing alone. 

Possibly a very weird release model where it was on streaming for a few days to become a phenomenon and then yanked back into the vault for a while would have increased gross even more but D+ subscribers would be pissed 😆

Just now, Legion and Thunder said:

It became a phenomenon once people could see it for free, but it wasn't successful at getting people to pay based on the marketing alone. 

true the marketing was crap. But I do think people were influenced by the whole "this will be on Disney+ at Christmas" angle.

39 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

What is a mid budget movie nowadays? Giving that a big budget is now $150m-$300m+ I would say that MINIONS, which cost a mere $80m, and is going gangbusters at the box office, is a mid budget movie.

Don’t Worry Darling, Ticket to Paradise, Bros, The Lost City, Knives Out, Little Women, Licorice Pizza to name a few recent ones