filmlover

Back to Black | 5/17/24 | Focus | Marisa Abela is Amy Winehouse | Sam Taylor-Johnson directs

On 12/13/2023 at 6:19 AM, Hatebox said:

Music biopics are one the worst genres going right now but at least this one won’t be the usual rise -> fall -> rise that the others all seem to fall into. No happy ending or moment of redemption with this one. 

Agreed No way can you make this an "Uplifting" film, It is the story of a very talented woman who destroyed herself with drugs and excess.

Back when she was alive, a number of us Knew she would  not have a happy ending.

This is going to be just as shrugged off as the Whitney movie was. Definitely way too soon and there's no nostalgia given what a bummer her life was, it's not like you can't find images or footage of the actual Amy in her darker days with a quick Google search.

• Like 2

Anyone know when the review embargo lifts? Its out this week in the UK and no reviews :( and I have seen no marketing. Guessing the studio has no expectations for it.

Edited by Avatree

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Anyone know when the review embargo lifts? Its out this week in the UK and no reviews :( and I have seen no marketing. Guessing the studio has no expectations for it.

It's everywhere in London, but yeah, feels like a bomb incoming

Dune tonight at Odeon Leicester Square has more than double the sales of opening night for this 😬

Edited by SchumacherFTW

On 3/28/2024 at 9:45 PM, Eric Atreides said:

Oh...oh no...no...no thank you...

giphy.gif

Palette cleanser:

The movie is coming out this week in the UK?! That's 5 weeks of bad WOM to spread over to the US. Every studio hopes their musician biopic will be the next Bohemian Rhapsody (huge general audience love and box office despite mid reviews), but that kind of reception seems extremely unlikely here.

On 4/9/2024 at 4:53 AM, filmlover said:

Begins with 9 fresh, 7 rotten on RT. Marisa Abela's getting praised though despite issues with the movie itself (unsurprising given what a tightrope Winehouse's life was).

This needed a very good critical reception to have a  chance of being a sucess, and it not getting that. Even the favorable reviews are not exactly raves.

COnsensus seems to be that Abrla is very good in the role, bu tthe film does not make the kind of emotianl connection with the audience it needs to

It was always a uphill battle; audiences prefer their biopics of musicans to be "feel good"movies..even if the film has to throw reality out the window to be a feel good movie.

I enjoyed this more than expected. 

It was nice seeing a film with a sold out crowd on a weekday, I must say. A bit of a change these days. 

There are cheesy moments and clunky dialogue, which I clocked from the trailer alone. But I loved that Back To Black album and hearing these songs again and even recognising some of the paparazzi set ups from back in the day - there was a strange nostalgia and familiarity. Poor Amy. 

It’s a total Wikipedia biopic, and some people come off very lightly that probably don’t deserve to (including her Dad). 

But if you’re a fan of music biopics, I think there’s a chance you’d enjoy it.

• Like 1