Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

15 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

Ok, so it further confirmed that low walk up in China is due to Covid, not the movie reception itself. 

Yeah i think thats obvious if you start looking beyond the "did bad number" thing (and it will do bad number).  It probably would have followed a worldwide trend of performing worse than expected anyways but this is an insane drop and "flop"  for a movie that im sure most people here would reasonably expect to open $180m at least in China if market conditions comperable to the rest of the world or even in conditions in China comparable to what the best performing Holywood movies there during the pandemic had. 

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Let's see if the risk was worthy or not

How TF is Avatar 2 risky? In what world is a sequel to the highest grossing movie a risk? 

And I don't understand how Titanic and Avatar 1 were the riskiest movies either. Expensive sure, but riskiest of all time is nonsensical. 

23 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

How TF is Avatar 2 risky? In what world is a sequel to the highest grossing movie a risk? 

And I don't understand how Titanic and Avatar 1 were the riskiest movies either. Expensive sure, but riskiest of all time is nonsensical. 

I was thinking similarly. Maybe they were risky because many thought the movies would flop compared to the amount of money spend on movie. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

39 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Before release Titanic was presented by media as biggest box office flop ready to destroy two studios together - "who wants to see a movie about sinking ship we already know how movie ends". Enormous budget for its time, long bad delayed production was all playing big factor in it. It's not exaggerated at all

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, adaros said:

Before release Titanic was presented by media as biggest box office flop ready to destroy two studios together - "who wants to see a movie about sinking ship we already know how movie ends". Enormous budget for its time, long bad delayed production was all playing big factor in it. It's not exaggerated at all

Titanic, I understand but what about avatar 1 & 2?

58 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I would not say A2 is risky per se (though waiting 13 years for a sequel kind of makes it a bit moreso), but Titanic and A1 were seen as films that were likely to lose money big time before release (though narrative started shifting for Avatar before release due to strong previews and trailer, iirc, while for titanic I think people had little hope until a pretty decent OW and it starting to show signs of absolutely ridicolous legs).

IIRC people thought the film being a romance (and a tragedy which we already knew the outcome of) were main concerns as to why Titanic just didn't have the appeal to justify its budget esp. due to limited draw among male population.

47 minutes ago, Nero said:

I was thinking similarly. Maybe they were risky because many thought the movies would flop compared to the amount of money spend on movie. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

10 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I would not say A2 is risky per se (though waiting 13 years for a sequel kind of makes it a bit moreso), but Titanic and A1 were seen as films that were likely to lose money big time before release (though narrative started shifting for Avatar before release due to strong previews and trailer, iirc, while for titanic I think people had little hope until a pretty decent OW and it starting to show signs of absolutely ridicolous legs).

IIRC people thought the film being a romance (and a tragedy which we already knew the outcome of) were main concerns as to why Titanic just didn't have the appeal to justify its budget esp. due to limited draw among male population.

Yeah but see people thinking a movie may flop before release does not make a movie risky, otherwise many movies would be labelled risky. That cannot be the criteria to determine risk let alone labelling a movie riskiest of all time. Risk is determined when the idea of the movie is floated and when a studio determines whether to go ahead with it or not. I can understand the risk regarding Titanic to a certain extent. But labelling Avatar 1 as one of the riskiest movies of all time is ridiculous and labelling Avatar 2 as one of the riskiest movies is just delusional and braindead on the part of Gitesh. This is why I do not like these twitter BO pundits like Gitesh and Luiz. They go way overboard shilling for a movie (and I am not talking about Avatar 2 in particular, they do it for pretty much every major movie).

13 minutes ago, Nero said:

Titanic, I understand but what about avatar 1 & 2?

Avatar 1 was way riskier than A2 imo. With Part 2 you already know what kind of movie in what style you are going to see where A1 was brand new thing in its time, not based on any known IP, from a guy that didn't directed anything since Titanic was also big concern media had. 

Edited by adaros

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

Yeah but see people thinking a movie may flop before release does not make a movie risky, otherwise many movies would be labelled risky. That cannot be the criteria to determine risk let alone labelling a movie riskiest of all time. Risk is determined when the idea of the movie is floated and when a studio determines whether to go ahead with it or not. I can understand the risk regarding Titanic to a certain extent. But labelling Avatar 1 as one of the riskiest movies of all time is ridiculous and labelling Avatar 2 as one of the riskiest movies is just delusional and braindead. 

I mean, the fact that IIRC an executive went over to the set himself to try to convince Cameron to cut runtime and that the film went over budget and forced Cameron to add the difference himself as studio refused to make it pretty clear that there was definitely a strong risk about titanic.

And Cameron himself is on record on saying that the studio did not originally want A1 (not at that budget, anyway) and it took a lot of convincing and they basically just went along with it out of fear of the situation turning into a titanic 2.0 and looking like dicks for turning it down, so I wouldn't say studio thought that was some failproof project either.

A2, though? Definitely not the case, and like, even with all the doom and gloom around, terrible situation around the world (shit ER+covid in china) and some markets disappointing, A2 will still quite easily make money, so it's not like this could ever be labelled as risky.

2 minutes ago, adaros said:

Avatar 1 was way riskier than A2 imo. With Part 2 you already know what kind of movie in what style you are going to see where A1 was brand new thing in its time, not based on any known IP.

Like what was risky about avatar 1 though? It was expensive that I can agree with but other than that...

8 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Yeah but see people thinking a movie may flop before release does not make a movie risky, otherwise many movies would be labelled risky. That cannot be the criteria to determine risk let alone labelling a movie riskiest of all time. Risk is determined when the idea of the movie is floated and when a studio determines whether to go ahead with it or not. I can understand the risk regarding Titanic to a certain extent. But labelling Avatar 1 as one of the riskiest movies of all time is ridiculous and labelling Avatar 2 as one of the riskiest movies is just delusional and braindead on the part of Gitesh. This is why I do not like these twitter BO pundits like Gitesh and Luiz. They go way overboard shilling for a movie (and I am not talking about Avatar 2 in particular, they do it for pretty much every major movie).

Some fun stuff from Titanic:
“When we were filming Titanic,” he says, “we were just trying to figure out how much money we were going to lose.” Indeed, in the mythic afterglow of box office success, it’s easy to forget that Titanic was expected to be a disaster. The project went more than $100 million over its initial $100 million budget, making it the most expensive movie ever made. The main financier, 20th Century Fox, pressured Cameron to contain the overruns.

As a sign of his commitment, Cameron agreed to give up his entire directing fee and any profit participation in the movie. When Titanic missed its July 4 release date, it appeared that the project was in big trouble. Cameron kept a razor blade on his editing desk with a note: Use only if film sucks. “I just realized I made a $200 million chick flick where everyone dies. What the hell was I thinking?” he confided to a friend at the time. “I’m going to have to rebuild my career from scratch.”

The Hollywood trade journal Variety called it “the biggest roll of the dice in film history” and questioned whether Fox would come anywhere near breakeven. “Everybody was predicting catastrophic failure,” says Rae Sanchini, the former president of Cameron’s production company.

And then, miraculously, this Titanic dodged the iceberg and sailed into the record books, grossing $1.8 billion worldwide. “We went from the lowest lows to the highest high,” Sanchini says. “It was a disorienting experience for all of us, but most of all for Jim. He was emotionally and physically exhausted.”

• Like 1