Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

7 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Worldwide, not in India.

I don't think we will see another run like Baahubali2 in India in near future..I actually wonder which would be the next movie to even get half the admits of BB2 in India. Even KGF2 couldn't get half the admits of Baahubali2

33 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I don't think we will see another run like Baahubali2 in India in near future..I actually wonder which would be the next movie to even get half the admits of BB2 in India. Even KGF2 couldn't get half the admits of Baahubali2

Probably another movie from south. Pushpa 2 is going to explode. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Baahubali 2 was to India what Titanic was to the US, right? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, XXR Krampus Claus said:

Baahubali 2 was to India what Titanic was to the US, right? 

that's a decent comparison...Unlike Titanic, Baahubali2 had record opening day, opening weekend. I am not fully sure about data pre-1980 but since 1980, Baahubali2 holds the record for highest footfalls In India despite releasing in 2017. Baahubali2 footfalls were around 110M...no other movie since 1995 had footfalls > 60M in India. Considering footfalls have fallen down drastically post-covid, I just find it really hard for any movie to cross Baahubali2 footfalls in near future...it was a rare movie which appealed to all parts of country, something which rarely happens in India due to language and cultural differences and it also had a ridiculous hype due to cliffhanger in Part1 climax.

Edited by upriser7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

it was a rare movie which appealed to all parts of country, something which rarely happens in India due to language and cultural differences and it also had a ridiculous hype due to cliffhanger in Part1 climax.

The Indian Endgame! 

:ohmygod:

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Demon Slayer to Japan.

Record opening, great legs.

Ooooh yea that's a good comparison. I didn't pay attention to BB2's run but I did follow DS on here and the numbers it put up (in a mature market even) was crazy. I'm hoping the domestic market has one more film like that in its future.

8 minutes ago, XXR Krampus Claus said:

Ooooh yea that's a good comparison. I didn't pay attention to BB2's run but I did follow DS on here and the numbers it put up (in a mature market even) was crazy. I'm hoping the domestic market has one more film like that in its future.

I would say DOM is past that point by now

while record wise SA had stuck for a long long time before DS (which will stick forever at this point), jp had actually had performances close to SA even in admits afterwards, so moviegoing as a hobby stayed very much relevant throughout

obviously gross is what counts in the end, and not saying tfa can't be beaten because inflation might do the trick eventually, but I think moviegoing will probably decline too much for a film to hit the zeitgeist in such an absolutely ridicolous fashion as DS in japan - granted even DS itself hit the zeitgeist in other media first (anime&manga), and just continued the snowball as a film

Edited by JustLurking

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I would say DOM is past that point by now

while record wise SA had stuck for a long long time before DS (which will stick forever at this point), jp had actually had performances close to SA even in admits afterwards, so moviegoing as a hobby stayed very much relevant throughout

obviously gross is what counts in the end, and not saying tfa can't be beaten because inflation might do the trick eventually, but I think moviegoing will probably decline too much for a film to hit the zeitgeist in such an absolutely ridicolous fashion as DS in japan - granted even DS itself hit the zeitgeist in other media first (anime&manga), and just continued the snowball as a film

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV+

Spoiler

And yea I'm not thinking/saying DOM will get a film that beats any admission records (even Titanic, while almost 40% ahead of any film in the last 30 years, is still itself about 50% behind GWTW.)

I'd just like to see another film that breaks the DOM gross record by 25-30% like TFA or Avatar did.