Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

no,Star Wars First run not 230m ,it’s include all re-release

From InsideKino.de

Like almost every surprise megahit - such as B. later E.T. or Titanic - Star Wars didn't set any records at the start (May 25) on Memorial Day weekend 1977, the first film wasn't even the No. 1 film in the country on the first weekend (that was The Cooked Rascal). Nevertheless, the opening week was gigantic: In only 43 cinemas (Schlitzohr was shown in 498 cinemas) $2,898,347 was grossed in the first week. To put that in today's terms: Adjusted for inflation, that would be $12,022,291 or an average of $279,589 per copy!

Due to the great success, copies were constantly added over the next three months, the peak being 1,096 copies in the 13th week. The best week was week 11 when $12.5M (worth $51.8M today) was raised. On day 81, Star Wars broke $100 million as the second fastest film of all time at the time (Jaws was 59 days two years earlier). The $150 million mark fell after 121 days (40 days faster than Jaws). On December 2, 1977 Steven Spielberg congratulated George Lucas in a full-page ad in Variety on the new highest-grossing film of all time (calculated after rentals), and then the $200 million mark fell on the New Year's weekend.

20th Century Fox was soon planning a re-release in the summer of 1978 and banned all re-release of the film, but allowed any theater that still had a copy in-house to continue showing it. As a result, 38 cinemas still had the film on their schedules after 14 months. In total, the EA grossed $221,280,994 (worth $992.3 million today).

16 minutes ago, MG10 said:

And not even all of the "western world" since in Italy and Spain it isn't particularly liked

Maybe this is in Italy, but not in Spain. When i ws a kid, i waited more than hour queue for enter to waths Star Wars in 1978 in Madrid and i can assure you every kid were crazy with the movie.

In Spain is the 8th most attended movie ever, with almost 7 million admits, so i can say here it was a cultural phenomenon...

25 minutes ago, setna said:

Maybe this is in Italy, but not in Spain. When i ws a kid, i waited more than hour queue for enter to waths Star Wars in 1978 in Madrid and i can assure you every kid were crazy with the movie.

In Spain is the 8th most attended movie ever, with almost 7 million admits, so i can say here it was a cultural phenomenon...

Ah my perception came from the 5 movies released in the past few years that didn't make incredibly numbers, didn't know about the first one doing so well

Edited by MG10

11 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Not sure about the original SW, but SW as a whole hasn't really been a big deal in Italy for as long as I can remember growing up. TFA was quite popular however.

Actually SW7 doing well in China too,but that’s the exceptional…the one movie succeed doesn’t means the series is popular

SW series is well known in China and most people aware what is this,and almost everyone have heard that classic opening music,but that’s it,that’s just the brand awareness ,not popularity,James Bond/007 is even more famous but not really popular in China

Edited by Bruce

37 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Not sure about the original SW, but SW as a whole hasn't really been a big deal in Italy for as long as I can remember growing up. TFA was quite popular however.

You are Italian? I thought you were Japanese or South Korean.

I saw somebody on reddit said Avatar have this kind of leggy run just because no competition…

Wow,that shows how today’s haters just don’t have any logic

The truth is,Is not Avatar don’t have competition,Is other film watch Avatar release and just move their date,why Auqaman 2 run?the competitor doesn’t even have the courage to battle with Avatar 2….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flamengo81 said:

Is LATAM considered "Western World"? Because is not very big here either.

It is yeah but a ton of people just think about "North America and (most) of Europe"  when saying it. Actually a lot of the time its just Americans thinking about the US and extrapolating it to what "the west" likes or does

Edited by Gkalaitza
  • Thanks 1

$1,5B by 8 January seems low, I think more something like $1,6B-$1,65B by the end of 4th weekend but let's say $1,5B in 10 days, $1,7B-$1,9B global run is weird. I think with that numbers, $1,9B should almost be the mim range and not the max range and $1,7B is really low.

4 minutes ago, LPLC said:

$1,5B by 8 January seems low, I think more something like $1,6B-$1,65B by the end of 4th weekend but let's say $1,5B in 10 days, $1,7B-$1,9B global run is weird. I think with that numbers, $1,9B should almost be the mim range and not the max range and $1,7B is really low.

2B is locked,eyeing on beating Titanic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

It's because most of the movie strongest run part is over. 

For US/Can for exemple, it's strongest weekend was the first, and it did have a nice drop for the christmas weekend + boxing day. These are basically the strongest weekends. Then you have to remember that it's holiday time also, so weekdays are also very strong. Friday 12/30 should be strong, saturday will otherwise do less than friday because it's on new year eve. Then it's the end of holidays, and weekdays will drop off massively. It will be the same in the rest of western World.

The movie box office is also slowing down in strong markets like India and China. For the important markets, only France and Korea are still doing great (the movie is on a flat line in these countries since 2 weeks lol), but it will be the end of holidays in France on tuesday 12/27, so it will also lose a lot after that.

By your own calculus, it would need to do $550M in 11 days, which would be a lot. 

10 minutes ago, Hananova said:

It's because most of the movie strongest run part is over. 

For US/Can for exemple, it's strongest weekend was the first, and it did have a nice drop for the christmas weekend + boxing day. These are basically the strongest weekends. Then you have to remember that it's holiday time also, so weekdays are also very strong. Friday 12/30 should be strong, saturday will otherwise do less than friday because it's on new year eve. Then it's the end of holidays, and weekdays will drop off massively. It will be the same in the rest of western World.

The movie box office is also slowing down in strong markets like India and China. For the important markets, only France and Korea are still doing great (the movie is on a flat line in these countries since 2 weeks lol), but it will be the end of holidays in France on tuesday 12/27, so it will also lose a lot after that.

By your own calculus, it would need to do $550M in 11 days, which would be a lot. 

In France, holidays are over the 3rd Jan, Germany 8th Jan and others countries are still on vacation the first week of Jan.

It is at $1,1B by 28th December and A2 adds $75M per day, that would be around $1,4B by Monday and then $1,6B one week after would mean $200M in 6 days ($30M per day). With holidays not over in some countries and good legs (despite the big drops) I think that is possible

Edited by LPLC