Eric the IF

D23 Expo 2022 Discussion Thread | Friday Schedule (all times PST): Marvel/Lucasfilm/20th (10-12), Disney Branded Television (4-5:45) | Disney Adults Unite!

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

So nothing for punks like us who can't attend the convention. Well screw them!

Well, @Cap would say that this is a reward for the people who attend conventions (and that press coverage for should be enough for everyone else who isn't in the room).

Just comes down to who you think should be catered to the most.  The folks in the audience in the room or the GA at large.  And there really is no "right" answer here, just preference.

Edited by Porthos

3 minutes ago, Eric-occhio said:

They do this all the time. What do you expect?

Yeah true and that's what I've always thought. SDCC gave the goods and people were like "wait until D23!". I always thought they never release anything from D23 publicly.

Little Mermaid was the exception and was the highlight of the weekend. Probably don't want to stomp on that parade.

But...I mean....a title for Indy 5 and a release date for Ahsoka would have at least been nice!

Edited by jedijake

10 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

People live still get to be there, get the hype, all the goodies from attending.

Really don't get why getting a simple livestream ruins your experience or diminish it

I mean, it's Con Culture speaking here. Plus some orgs like having more of a control over what gets out in case of live slipups or marketing rollout reasons.

Like, take that TotJ trailer.  That was a con exclusvie over at Celebration, but Disney got to show it again as "new" at D23 and then released it to the GA (in non potato quality).  If not quite a double dip on marketing hype, it's still two cycles in the press.

But, also, some orgs are just more conservative than others.  Hell, the whole concept of livestreaming Big Con Panels is still not industry standard.

A point should also be made that Con Culture dates back literally decades, stretching all the way back to the 70s [if not further back] so there is a ****LOT**** of institutional conservatism at play here, especially when it comes to "giving away the con expereince for 'free'".

Edited by Porthos