YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

22 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Universality isn't some secret code for straight white male. It's about the story. Soul and elemental had it, lightyear didn't.

Thank you! I think people are becoming too sensitized to identity stuff. It feels like anything can be a statement for or against a certain race/sexuality/gender when really most people's minds are far from that and just don't give a hoot about any of it either way.

4 hours ago, Insomnia said:

I don't think it's a matter of the black lead or LGBT undertones. It's the stories. We're all making this more complicated than it is. Pixar is just trying to tell better stories. Docter communicated the word "universality" but I think he's just looking for another way to say stories the audience will show up for.

I believe Soul would have done amazing in theatres so it's not like the black lead in that film is relevant to this discussion anyway. The story was amazing!

Luca was the most streamed movie of 2021, and Turning Red was second biggest streamed movie of 2022, only behind Encanto. Pretty sure both would’ve done very well theatrically too as it was clear at the very least, the target audience was vibing to it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

$500M domestic is back on the fucking menu boys

Join if you're interested

If it somehow hits a $140 million weekend then that could definitely happen! Not ready to hitch my wagon to that though.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

Luca was the most streamed movie of 2021, and Turning Red was second biggest streamed movie of 2022, only behind Encanto. Pretty sure both would’ve done very well theatrically too as it was clear at the very least, the target audience was vibing to it.

I know. I said as much in my earlier post that there is nothing wrong with those films. They probably would have done great! I'm just saying they would have some great because they're great stories. People wouldn't have seen it because of the identities of the characters (talking about the general audience as a whole here, obviously some are going to relate personally to the characters and their identities and that's fantastic!)

As I said, Docter's statement was likely a marketing message. I'm sure we'll still get movies like Soul, Luca and Turning Red.

Edited by Insomnia

I'm happy we have a huge hit with IO2. I just hope Pixar doesn't learn the wrong lesson from this. They need originals films too, at least 1/2 of their film lineup. You can't have Inside Out 2 without that first Inside Out.

Edited by Mojoguy

On 5/23/2024 at 9:51 PM, HummingLemon496 said:

Yeah, below 90M would be horrible. I did not expect this movie to underperform this badly but it looks like it's gonna happen. The spin is crazy. 

It feels good to be proven right and wrong

"Yeah, below 90M would be horrible" - this aged very well

" I did not expect this movie to underperform this badly but it looks like it's gonna happen." - This did not age well. And I'm glad it aged horribly.

Edited by HummingLemon496

On 5/23/2024 at 2:56 PM, JustLurking said:

That would be a really bad opening for this.

Low key you were met with the most hilarious excuses ever when you said this but in the end you were proven right (the numbers speak for themselves).

Vindication. Good job. 

On 5/31/2024 at 6:36 PM, HummingLemon496 said:

The truth is not trolling. $85M would, in fact, be really bad.

Inside Out 2, a sequel to a $356M grossing hit from a decade ago, should not be opening lower than Inside Out, an original film. it's like if Avatar 2 opened lower than 1 or something like that. 

V. I. N. D. I. C. A. T. I. O. N. 

See, I was right. 

But no, no, no. $85M actually would have been super amazing and I was just "concern trolling" right? Right?

59 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

V. I. N. D. I. C. A. T. I. O. N. 

See, I was right. 

But no, no, no. $85M actually would have been super amazing and I was just "concern trolling" right? Right?

It's like you are having a conversation with yourself or something.