YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Pixar does it again!

2 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Very few reactions so far but encouraging!

The embargo lift time might of been late for people on the east coast? And im gonna guess we’ll get a wave of reactions coming out of/after the LA premiere tonight 

4 minutes ago, Maaatt said:

The embargo lift time might of been late for people on the east coast? And im gonna guess we’ll get a wave of reactions coming out of/after the LA premiere tonight 

I kind of doubt that because this here:

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F0a8qs66wtj5d1.jpeg

...mentions 12am ET (6/11), meaning that social media embargo might've been broken there already as well.

I suspect more than a few reactions aren't tagged.

FWIW, have seen one other stray tweet like BD's which says "Not quite as deep/great as the first, but still very good"[which I can't find coz, again, searching via [REDACTED] is awful] which makes me think that'll be a theme with at least some.  In the middle of starting my nightly tracks so no more tweets from me.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Block-Busted said:

I kind of doubt that because this here:

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F0a8qs66wtj5d1.jpeg

...mentions 12am ET (6/11), meaning that social media embargo might've been broken there already as well.

No i know, my only point was 12am is late, some people are in bed and could just wait till the morning.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

FWIW, have seen one other stray tweet like BD's which says "Not quite as deep/great as the first, but still very good"[which I can't find coz, again, searching via [REDACTED] is awful] which makes me think that'll be a theme with at least some.  In the middle of starting my nightly tracks so no more tweets from me.

To be fair, the first film is an extremely tough act to follow as it holds 98% on RottenTomatoes with flat-out unbelievable 8.9/10 average along with 94/100 on Metacritic. No other animated films have reached that level of critical acclaim since then. Not. Even. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Edited by Block-Busted
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I feel like not being quite as good as the original isn’t a death sentence. I love the first film but if it is as good as the first that’s a massive win. But I did see another reaction state that there wasn’t a tear-jerker scene like “take her to the moon for me” but I’m honestly okay with that. 

13 minutes ago, Block-Busted said:

To be fair, the first film is an extremely tough act to follow as it holds 98% on RottenTomatoes with flat-out unbelievable 8.9/10 average along with 94/100 on Metacritic. No other animated films have reached that level of critical acclaim since then. Not. Even. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Soul is 83 on MC and  on RT 95%/8.0 and it's a brilliant film - top tier Pixar

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Soul is 83 on MC and  on RT 95%/8.0 and it's a brilliant film - top tier Pixar

Oh, I agree. My point is simply that Inside Out practically set an impossible standard for animated films when it comes to critical receptions. If not even Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse or The Boy and the Heron couldn't quite reach that level of acclaim (not to mention that even some of Pixar's great works since then couldn't even get close to that level), then I don't know what can. As a matter of fact, when it comes to Pixar vs. Ghibli, I used to think that Pixar will NEVER be able to outdo Ghibli, but Inside Out completely flipped that over. I actually find it flat-out heinous that the film wasn't even nominated for Best Picture Oscar because in a just world, that film would've easily came out on top.

Oh, and bit of a correction regarding Soul, that film's RottenTomatoes average score is 8.3/10. You might've been thinking of Turning Red when you mentioned 8.0/10 because that was the average score of the said film until it went up to 8.1/10 somewhat recently.

Edited by Block-Busted
  • Like 1

It’s so annoying to read this “back to form” reactions pretending they didn’t release 3 of their best efforts of the past 10 years recently, all original.

I know not getting theatrical releases takes cultural relevancy from them, but Luca and especially Soul / Turning Red had absolutely great reception. 

Still, reactions seems great and falling in the expected Pixar “great sequel, even if not better than the previous one” type of reviews 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It’s so annoying to read this “back to form” reactions pretending they didn’t release 3 of their best efforts of the past 10 years recently, all original.

I know not getting theatrical releases takes cultural relevancy from them, but Luca and especially Soul / Turning Red had absolutely great reception. 

Still, reactions seems great and falling in the expected Pixar “great sequel, even if not better than the previous one” type of reviews 

Like I've said, Inside Out is one-of-a-kind animated film when it comes to critical reception.

35 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I feel like not being quite as good as the original isn’t a death sentence. I love the first film but if it is as good as the first that’s a massive win. But I did see another reaction state that there wasn’t a tear-jerker scene like “take her to the moon for me” but I’m honestly okay with that. 

And as I've said to other two posters already, the first film has one-of-the-kind critical acclaim that no other animated films even got close to replicating since then. Even Pixar couldn't get to that level as of today.

On 6/9/2024 at 6:31 PM, AniNate said:

If you don't have the sales yet to say with confidence that the movie will open to $100 mil then you shouldn't say that. Tracking is not intended to be a final prediction, it can get better or worse as you get closer to release.

Tracking is literally intended to be a prediction of the final ow. That it’s not the final prediction of the eventual ow doesn’t excuse misses

That said we’ve known industry tracking is a joke for all 6+ years I’ve been here so not really sure why it keeps getting discussed 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean it's almost like Pixar's extreme range and variety means different critics are going to hold different films in different regard and won't necessarily agree what a "return to form" is

Though if I was to be frank I'd say those films are nowhere near as good as their best and their critical reception being as high as it is in the first place is crazy to me

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Soul was top top, elemental was pretty great, but then you have Luca and TR were like good, and then LY… very reasonable to talk about a “return to form” when you look at the last dozens movies vs their 90s &00s output

• Like 1

Lightyear and Elemental were their last two films and did not receive great reviews by their standards so I think it's understandable that a not insignificant number of critics would see them as "off form".

Was hoping for a bit more of a presence from real critics at the time of social embargo lift, guess will still have to wait until Wednesday for that.