YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Pixar does it again!

59 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Tracking is literally intended to be a prediction of the final ow. That it’s not the final prediction of the eventual ow doesn’t excuse misses

No it is not, especially when presales begin more than a month in advance. Every movie has a unique presale pattern and the best people can do is compare it to prior movies. Part of the fun is the ebbs and flows of the final leg of the movie's marketing campaign. It would be dreadfully boring if tracking was dead on accurate for every movie more than a month before it actually came out, and there would be no point to that final promotional leg if that were truly 100% possible.

It's also not like the amateur trackers were thinking much better until the past week.

Edited by AniNate

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

No it is not

Yes, it is. 

Every movie has a unique presale pattern and the best people can do is compare it to prior movies.

Sure, true — compare it in an attempt to forecast what the ow will ultimately be!

Part of the fun is the ebbs and flows of the final leg of the movie's marketing campaign. It would be dreadfully boring if tracking was dead on accurate for every movie more than a month before it actually came out

Sure, true. It would be boring for spectators if forecast were more reliable. But that doesn’t mean the goal from the forecasting side isn’t being maximally reliable. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Sure, true. It would be boring for spectators if forecast were more reliable. But that doesn’t mean the goal from the forecasting side isn’t being maximally reliable. 

Maximum reliability at the time. I think it is reasonable to "excuse" people for not knowing the future. There was little to actually suggest a $100-110 million weekend for awhile beyond the precedent of the original movie's ticket sales nine years ago, and that has hardly been a reliable barometer for sequels in the post-Covid era.

Edited by AniNate

22 minutes ago, AniNate said:

There was little to actually suggest a $100-110 million weekend for awhile beyond the precedent of the original movie's ticket sales nine years ago, and that has hardly been a reliable barometer for sequels in the post-Covid era.

May I introduce you to the Box Office Buzz, Tracking and Pre-Sale Thread on this very forum:

The last few pages or so suggest a decent preview number and a few people are tracking Friday sales (or even Saturday/Sunday) show that it shouldn't be front loaded. Expecting a $100m right now isn't too crazy, although I have been expecting around a $100m opening since the movie was announced (if anything recent ticket sales may make me up that prediction as well as the full run domestic prediction).

I also remember having this discussion a few weeks ago when things weren't as positive but TLDR industry lowballs are common. If you want to revisit that discussion:

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Maximum reliability at the time. I think it is reasonable to "excuse" people for not knowing the future. There was little to actually suggest a $100-110 million weekend for awhile beyond the precedent of the original movie's ticket sales nine years ago, and that has hardly been a reliable barometer for sequels in the post-Covid era.

Sure, I think it’s fair to say that 90s wasn’t an unreasonable prediction given info at the time.  Was on 90s for quite a while. I just wanted to be clear that the ultimate goal at the end of the day is actually predicting what it will open to since it seemed like there was some sentiment to the contrary. Perhaps I misunderstood 

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I am very familiar with the tracking thread, thank you. Yes, they are saying that now but they were not two weeks ago 

Nothing from Inside Out 2 weeks ago suggested it couldn't open to $100m+ though, especially due to it being an animated family film as those ramp up in sales late i.e. KFP4 from earlier this year. 

Edit This post from Porthos probably articulates the point much better and in depth than what I have written above and it is from roughly 2 weeks ago ;) 

Edited by Potiki
  • Heart 1

$120 mil would be about what the original's opening adjusts to. Would give next weekend a chance at beating last year's comp as well, that's the big benchmark I'd like to cross to put a pin in the "cinema is doomed" discourse for a bit

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 4

Anything over $100m is a major win, $110-120m is a great range and can lead to $400m+ run and anything higher is phenomenal.

The good thing is, even opening to $85m (which is starting to look unlikely) doesn't rule out a $300m finish based on how Pixar sequels leg. Either way, this is gonna add a lot to this year's box office and will be great for Pixar. But if it can add ~40m tickets to the overall year b.o. that will be a very important boost.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Somehow I feel I'll meet a lot less resistance when I say 80-85 would've been a disappointing opening now that tracking seems to be pointing higher

Yeah, that weekend for the sequel to an original film that did $356M almost a decade ago would've been ass

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Somehow I feel I'll meet a lot less resistance when I say 80-85 would've been a disappointing opening now that tracking seems to be pointing higher

It was still not an unreasonable goal to set for awhile, given not many trackers were much more bullish on the movie and the ongoing perception of Pixar and kids movies' reduced draw at the box office, not to mention the generally depressed mood of the industry the past year. Evidently a pre-Covid level of enthusiasm has manifested itself the past week.

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I mean, I always thought matching the first one would just ok while 85-ish would be kinda disappointing, even if other animated sequels have opened lower than their predecessors.

• Like 1

I am finally ready for some good Box Office numbers. April and May were horrendous to the point that I didn't even want to log in here. I hope Inside Out 2 breaks out and we have some nice runs to follow with A Quiet Place: Day One, Despicable Me 4, Twisters and Deadpol & Wolverine.

This bs again:

But in recent years, Pixar has found itself in a commercial and critical rut. Movies like Turning Red and Luca that were largely based on creators’ own childhoods didn’t seem to resonate with audiences the way that more universal tales like Toy Story and Monsters Inc. did. 

Edited by cannastop
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 3