YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

Wow, the critics are dividing on this one.

I get the impression that what some cirtics like about the film are exacly the features that other crictics hate.

Some love the Easter Eggs and other Disney films references, others think the Meta soons wears out it's welcome and becomes annoyning.

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Wow, the critics are dividing on this one.

I get the impression that what some cirtics like about the film are exacly the features that other crictics hate.

Some love the Easter Eggs and other Disney films references, others think the Meta soons wears out it's welcome and becomes annoyning.

Agreed.

it also makes me feel like it’ll do very good business, nostalgia sells.

• Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Agreed.

it also makes me feel like it’ll do very good business, nostalgia sells.

Not always. Nostagia alone is not enough to make a movie a hit.

It will do better then SW did, but it will not IMHO be the huge hit WDAS really needs.

• Like 3

Was way more optimistic based on the reactions from last week, but I think Strange World/Elemental level reviews might actually end up being the ceiling for this one critically, and I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being closer to Mario.

Kind surprised how many of the big releases this month are going to end up whiffing critically. The Marvels and Thanksgiving came in higher than I expected, but Trolls, Wish, Hunger Games, and Napoleon were all movies I was expecting to be in the low 70% range on RT at worst, and yet here we are with at least 3 of these probably ending up rotten.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, YM! said:

Yeah am feeling under Elemental but could still get to 400m WW. Something like: 50m five day/150m domestic/425m worldwide

Really? That’s not how I read it at all. I’m thinking this does over elemental now based on what I’ve read about it and I’d they start marketing some of these Easter eggs heavily. We will see soon enough I guess.

• Disbelief 1

I don’t think people care that much about Disney thematic Easter eggs, not in 2023 after all the backlash they’re facing for years. I can see the songs clicking or the story itself like Elemental which was safe but emotional enough.

Reviews should be somewhat decent but not great. I suspected there’s something wrong with those reactions after so many dubious “oh it’s so familiar 😍” posts 

Don’t think it’ll be a flop tho, probably 400M or so

Holy shit, those are some DIRE social reactions overall considering Marvels and THG just got social embargo raves… then again, maybe we’re playing Opposite Day with social embargo’s now, and this means critical reception will be great lol.

But too many of those are echoing the stuff I was seeing online from those who saw it… lots of “I wanted to love this because Disney 100, but I don’t even get what it’s supposed to be about…” type of stuff.

It seems the songs may be the best part, which is the best case scenario if the movie sucks, since a viral song is more important than anything for a WDAS musical success. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don’t think people care that much about Disney thematic Easter eggs, not in 2023 after all the backlash they’re facing for years. I can see the songs clicking or the story itself like Elemental which was safe but emotional enough.

Reviews should be somewhat decent but not great. I suspected there’s something wrong with those reactions after so many dubious “oh it’s so familiar 😍” posts 

Don’t think it’ll be a flop tho, probably 400M or so

Yeah normally phrases like "love letter" and "easter egg" would make me cringe but seemed to be more legit coming from RT critics. I guess Disney got wind that people weren't taking random names seriously anymore and started inviting people with more clout that they thought would be more inclined to give them good reviews (did notice after the fact that pretty much all of the premiere critics gave raves to Elemental).

So, egg on my face, I guess. Hopefully I still enjoy it and it does good enough for WDA to not be discouraged from producing more originals and taking more artistic style risks. I still hate how the social media vibes are so toxic for any Disney or Pixar original promo campaign, especially compared to how Inside Out 2 was received so excitedly out of the gate with the teaser.

• Like 2

IO2’s teaser was fantastic so… what do you expect? I have never loved the first movie at all, and even I was like, ok interested. 

Many of us have felt this movie’s marketing has been “off” all along, but I was hoping it would turn out great. If this is a miss, we are definitely in a new Disney animation down era ala Dark Age and Post-Renaissance. 

It just makes the "less sequels, more originals!" refrain popular in film social circles ring hollow to me. It's not so much the IO2 excitement that annoys me as the interpreting of original concepts in the most uncharitable way possible based on marketing (ie stuff like the Pine character actually being the "good guy" for not granting every wish). Hard for me to blame studios for relying on franchises when the social sphere collectively craps on them when they try something new.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

16 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It just makes the "less sequels, more originals!" refrain popular in film social circles ring hollow to me. It's not so much the IO2 excitement that annoys me as the interpreting of original concepts in the most uncharitable way possible based on marketing (ie stuff like the Pine character actually being the "good guy" for not granting every wish). Hard for me to blame studios for relying on franchises when the social sphere collectively craps on them when they try something new.

That’s a false narrative though. We love when they try something new AND it’s good. The latter is the most important part. See basically every single Revival era WDAS film (2010-2021) minus the two sequels for what I mean. 

Quality is the problem now. And sequels that are high quality are still fine in my book. More TS2/TS3, less TS4 please. But WDAS should stay original IP focused because that’s been their trademark for nearly 100 years and how they hit on gold so many times. I am annoyed about Zoo 2 since I was already annoyed we got two WDAS sequels last decade. 

• Like 3

Well yeah, people will embrace the original movie if it does turn out good. Indeed they'll forget they ever hated on it. But they usually have a steep uphill battle from a marketing standpoint; anything that feels off gets blown up as a catastrophic misstep.

The two sequels after Wish does make the possibility of it disappointing all the more dismaying to me. I'd be lying if I said I weren't interested in Zootopia, but definitely not in Frozen 3. Likely part of the reason I did have such emotional investment in Wish. Not real confident in their ability to take future risks at the moment.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

That refrain never held water. Audiences are repulsed at anything that isn’t a nostalgic toy commercial and will gladly see and hype up anything that has a 2 on it. Their brains only crave comfort and familiarity. It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1