YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

3 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

That shows that you can really make a movie look very different by using only specific scenes. Like how are there zero songs? Very strange trailer

Zero songs and almost no Elsa! It tells you the marketing team had no idea what was going to make that movie a hit.

Yeah they didn't advertise the Frozen songs at all until the final trailer, and Let it Go was hidden until I think the few weeks before release. They did that with Tangled too.

That is something I've appreciated about the Wish marketing so far, they're not hiding that it's a musical. Despite the reservations I do have it's been one of their more relatively unannoying campaigns so far.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

The trailer looks fit for its target audience. 

I can't really see any mature person who is not a massive disney fan actually enjoing this juvenile humour and overall tone.

Trailers can be misleading but it's not like Frozen is actually mature story or anything that is palatable for the average adult audience...it's only just a tad more dramatic and epic in tone than what the trailer might suggest. 

But to be fair, other than Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas and some minor movies like Atlantis or Treasure planet, post 1995 WDAS have never really tried to make their movies fit for a grown-up audience.

I still think this has all the elements ( musical + colorful character + "princess" protagonist in a "quasi" european setting) to achieve a big success, but those who think that it will be something different than (or more than) a children movie will be disappointed.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

13 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I can't really see any mature person who is not a massive disney fan actually enjoing this juvenile humour and overall tone.

Trailers can be misleading but it's not like Frozen is actually mature story or anything that is palatable for the average adult audience...it's only just a tad more dramatic and epic in tone than what the trailer might suggest. 

But to be fair, other than Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas and some minor movies like Atlantis or Treasure planet, post 1995 WDAS have never really tried to make their movies fit for a grown-up audience.

I still think this has all the elements ( musical + colorful character + "princess" protagonist in a "quasi" european setting) to achieve a big success, but those who think that it will be something different than (or more than) a children movie will be disappointed.

If by "mature movies" you mean "lukewarm flops" then it's a good thing for Disney's sake that they moved away from that

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I don't really see your point, don't think anyone's out here asking for a "mature" (?) film, just a film that isn't too juvenile to be enjoyed by adults.

FWIW, Tangled is a comfort film of mine, it's obviously not a "mature" film but I can still sit there and have a good time with it. That's the sort of expectation I have from a Disney animated film.

Edited by JustLurking

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

If by "mature movies" you mean "lukewarm flops" then it's a good thing for Disney's sake that they moved away from that

It certainly is financially but artistically? That's highly debatable. 

Parents in the US where shocked with Hunchback's mature theme, sexuality and horror, so that had a rather poor performance Stateside, but in Europe it did pretty great business. And I'm pretty sure that nowadays there would be an audience for more mature animated movies in Europe, but Disney has progressively based itself more and more on the domestic market, so I guess they will stick to the status quo.

14 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Uh why would anyone make any of those assumptions? I don't think anyone is under the impression that this is something different than a Disney animated musical aimed at families lol.

The very frequent comparisons with Sleeping Beauty and Snow White have created some hefty expectations on Wish, given that those movies are pretty horror/gore-ish and unsettling for today's standard. There is some humour in both, but they definetly have a darker, more serious tone than what the Wish trailer seems to be suggesting. 

I don't know who's setting up those expectations but I never expected this would be a significant departure in tone from their last decade of movies. They need a feel good 4 quad blockbuster here coming off of Strange World's bomb and Encanto and Raya's COVID handicapped runs.

I think their days of trying to do darker pseudoserious stuff like Atlantis are probably over. That's not their forte and it never really has been. I also don't think Snow White and Sleeping Beauty are THAT dark. The original fairy tales maybe but not the Disney adaptations.

Edited by AniNate

6 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I don't really see your point, don't think anyone's out here asking for a "mature" (?) film, just a film that isn't too juvenile to be enjoyed by adults.

Basically. I think Encanto is the best recent WDAS movie to do this.

Strange World didn't amuse anyone, adult or child, and Raya started off fairly well with a (serious, but still approachable to kids) vibe.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

FWIW, Tangled is a comfort film of mine, it's obviously not a "mature" film but I can still sit there and have a good time with it. That's the sort of expectation I have from a Disney animated film.

Not here, but on the web many were hoping for something in the vein of Sleeping beauty/Snow White or even a Beauty and the Beast. A movie that had more darkness in it and some mild horror elements and a serious tone. It doesn't help that so far all we had were basically night images (hence darker) and so many interviews of everyone claming that this is the next big fairytale that pays homage to Snow White (with the seven kids/seven dwarves rehash) and Sleeping beauty (with the aspect ratio) heavily. 

That being said, it might actually be something close to Tangled (though the lack of a central love-story certainly can make the overall plot feel even more juvenile).

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

8 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

The very frequent comparisons with Sleeping Beauty and Snow White have created some hefty expectations on Wish, given that those movies are pretty horror/gore-ish and unsettling for today's standard. There is some humour in both, but they definetly have a darker, more serious tone than what the Wish trailer seems to be suggesting. 

Comparisons made by whom? I doubt there are many people out there thinking this movie was going to be replicating horror elements from Sleeping Beauty or Snow White. Not to mention Snow White isn't exactly a serious film. It's 80% dwarf slapstick, 10% princess running around screaming or doing the dishes, and 10% evil queen stuff (that last 10% is pretty good, the rest is meh).

When Disney tries to do "dark" it's usually underwhelming because there's only so far they're willing to take it. Problem with Hunchback, Atlantis et al is they still have the dumb comic relief side characters and the movies can't fully commit to a tone. If they have to have the cute merchandise vehicle characters, it's best if they just fully embrace that vibe. Certainly it's still possible to create quality material with that mindset unless you subscribe to the reductive "True Art is Angsty" credo.

• Like 3