YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

12 hours ago, AniNate said:

The pre release cynicism for this movie also isn't much different from their others the last decade ofc.

OK, let's see what it looks like if I make a chart like the one I did before, but for Wish and Moana, as per your mention of "their others from the last decade".  Notice  that with Moana, interest in the film experienced a small but very significant uptick in June, when the first full trailer dropped, and remained consistently high until October, when it suddenly shot up. It reached its peak at the movie's November release date.  Wish hasn't seen that, at least not yet. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

One big issue this movie is going to have is convincing families that it doesn't hit D+ on Christmas.

Elemental was probably impacted by lots of families waiting for it to hit D+ so they could watch it for free. Disney is going to have to make all their movies into events again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Squibbonator said:

OK, let's see what it looks like if I make a chart like the one I did before, but for Wish and Moana, as per your mention of "their others from the last decade".  Notice  that with Moana, interest in the film experienced a small but very significant uptick in June, when the first full trailer dropped, and remained consistently high until October, when it suddenly shot up. It reached its peak at the movie's November release date.  Wish hasn't seen that, at least not yet. 

Did you not see my post about how unreliable Google's topic organizing is? Clearly not all actual interest in the movie is being represented in the "Film" topic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Elemental was probably impacted by lots of families waiting for it to hit D+ so they could watch it for free. Disney is going to have to make all their movies into events again.

I'm kind of worried that this is going to be a permanent thing for Disney's animated movies if they're not careful. The pandemic and easy availability on Disney+ didn't do them any favors. 

It perhaps may have been a factor in Elemental's insane legs that families didn't immediately realize it was in theaters and not D+, and they went out to see it when they did.

Did suck that Disney was so inflexible on the streaming window that they killed Elemental's chances for half a billion, but it obviously has found a receptive and lucrative audience in any case.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AniNate said:

I just took a little trip through memory lane in the Frozen thread and yeah, people were pretty down on that movie all the way through mid October. The only things keeping morale high were inside info about the story and songs. The first trailers for that movie were the cringy slapstick and snark driven kind that no one old enough to post on a forum really cares for. But the last trailer which actually promoted one of the songs started to turn things around, and everyone got on board once the enthusiastic critic reviews started coming in.

Personally the teaser for Wish was one of their more immediately persuasive ones in recent memory, and I hope that's the tone they continue to use with the rest of their marketing.

"Frozen" is often used as example of a movie that had a weak  marketing campaign ,, but  became hit on the reviews and WOM.

8 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

And then you have the problem if everything is an event, then nothing is an event.

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Bit of an eyebrow raise here, this was supposed to be playing with Wish. Could be just ABC needs stuff to air during the strike, but possibly (though not likely) might indicate a delay.

I'd hope not... but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not reading anything into it. It's a broadcast showing and a well timed one at that . Was hoping we could avoid an anxiety discourse over it but I guess it was inevitable.

I'm actually thinking that'll be where they drop the final Wish trailer as well.

Edited by AniNate