YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

They are generally terrible about marketing WDAS films this century. The only major exceptions were Lilo and Stitch (brilliant marketing back in the day) and Zootopia (sloth teaser is their best ever). And lo and behold those were their two most successful openings this century besides Frozen. And again, I still really have no clue how Frozen managed to open so huge, the awareness and buzz felt non-existent when it came out .

4 hours ago, Youngstar said:

That shows that you can really make a movie look very different by using only specific scenes. Like how are there zero songs? Very strange trailer

The whole campaign for Frozen was just plain wierd. As stated, it is pointed out as a movie that became a phenominail hit despite a poor marketing campaign.

But yeah, that trailer was bait and switch....trying to sell Frozen as a kind of movie it was not.

I remember groaning seeing that trailers at the lame LOTR/ROTK "No Man" reference.

Edited by dudalb

30 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

They are generally terrible about marketing WDAS films this century. The only major exceptions were Lilo and Stitch (brilliant marketing back in the day) and Zootopia (sloth teaser is their best ever). And lo and behold those were their two most successful openings this century besides Frozen. And again, I still really have no clue how Frozen managed to open so huge, the awareness and buzz felt non-existent when it came out .

It got good reviews and WOM was incredible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I don't really see your point, don't think anyone's out here asking for a "mature" (?) film, just a film that isn't too juvenile to be enjoyed by adults.

FWIW, Tangled is a comfort film of mine, it's obviously not a "mature" film but I can still sit there and have a good time with it. That's the sort of expectation I have from a Disney animated film.

One reason Pixar was so incredibly sucessful in it's first decade and a half is their movies could be enjoyed by both adults and kids.

They were really good at including jokes and othe things aimed at an adult audience,but which right over the heads of the kids without the kids knowing they were misisng something.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

That really doesn’t explain the opening. Nearly all WDAS have great reviews since 2009. Frozen wasn’t even the best reviewed of the bunch. 

The last trailer definitely sold the movie a lot better than the second one, had a song in it and less of the "well that just happened" tone. The winter theme probably didn't hurt either, was more or less a "Christmas" Disney movie even though it technically didn't involve Christmas.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AniNate said:

Yeah they didn't advertise the Frozen songs at all until the final trailer, and Let it Go was hidden until I think the few weeks before release. They did that with Tangled too.

That is something I've appreciated about the Wish marketing so far, they're not hiding that it's a musical. Despite the reservations I do have it's been one of their more relatively unannoying campaigns so far.

Frozen was the movie that marked the comeback of musicals as something cool. They desperately tried to hide any musical stuff, especially with Tangled before. They probably had no Idea that that problematic movie was the big turning point, but for some reason they thought, that marketing it that way was the reason for the movies success and did the same with Frozen to attract boys as well. 

The rest is history. After that, musicals were everywhere, animated and real. 

I hope Wish marks the comeback of Disney away from Disney+.

Not a fan of the animation style. Spider-Verse, Puss 2, The Bad Guys, and TMNT did it way better I feel. Looks unfinished.

The humor was unfunny as hell but hopefully, it's better in the actual movie. 

The toy characters were also annoying as hell, at least make them funny.

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Got good reviews and insane WOM. It had a limited opening at first which could have built up buzz. And the final trailer was much better than the 2nd one.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

The last trailer definitely sold the movie a lot better than the second one, had a song in it and less of the "well that just happened" tone. The winter theme probably didn't hurt either, was more or less a "Christmas" Disney movie even though it technically didn't involve Christmas.

I will agree about the winter theme helping a ton for the opening over the holidays. Just like I will always insist Moana in the summer would be way bigger. 

Fwiw the less than optimal visuals have been acknowledged.

https://x.com/yiningkarlli/status/1707074974987719127?s=20

This is why I always prefer to reserve negative judgment on visual quality based on online trailers. Tbh I don't think it's something that can be fairly evaluated until the final product is released. Pretty much every blockbuster ever has had someone complain about the visual design.  

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

This is why I always prefer to reserve negative judgment on visual quality based on online trailers. Tbh I don't think it's something that can be fairly evaluated until the final product is released. Pretty much every blockbuster ever has had someone complain about the visual design.  

True. Tbh the art style reminded me a bit like Nimona when I first saw trailers but it looked better on my TV. Hoping that’s the same for Wish. The main concern as it is right now is if the new trailer built interest and awareness amongst the target demographic.

As CG movies get more and more experimental, I've gone through the same pattern of "this looks cheap. This looks weird. I don't like it", every time a new trailer drops for one of them. Didn't like the way Puss in Boots looked, how TMNT looked, how Elemental looked, all those. Then I actually saw them on the big screen and their animation is typically some of the best aspects of the movies. Don't know if it's my eye getting used to these new art styles or some sort of weird issue with YouTube and Twitter. But it is very weird that this happens every time with me. Assuming this will be the case when I get around to watching this.

• Like 5

TIL Jennifer Lee, president of WDAS, director of the Frozen movies and a writer on this one, is married to Alfred Molina...!!

Anyway, expecting this to be another building block, adding to the work of Elemental, into making animated Disney stuff back into an event. Imagine how huge Encanto could have been at the box office if it weren't for them conditioning audiences to watch it on Disney+.

• Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

I saw the original trailer in front of Elemental and while it still takes some getting used to, it does work much better there. I guess this will play in front of THG 5 because I have no interest in Paw Patrol.

9 hours ago, AniNate said:

That certainly interesting. I appreciate a unique art style from them, but this could bite the movie in the butt a bit if people think it looks ugly in marketing and it affects OW. Kids do seem to notice when animation doesn’t look “modern”, Princess and the Frog being 2D in 2009 definitely hurt its ability to reach kids at the time. 

I feel like "animation looks cheap" is much more an adult online thing than a kids thing. Realism in animation has fallen out of favor the last few years anyway so I don't think it really looks that "quaint" compared to other recent movies. I know Elemental and Puss got a lot of flack for their styles too.

I'm not expecting a Frozen level ow here, but at least Elemental's would be ideal and if it's received well should hopefully have similar legs to Frozen's through the holiday season. $200m dom I would consider a solid hit given they're still working their way back from streaming conditioning.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2