YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

I like a lot of this, especially the antagonist. Unlike other modern WDAS movies, I do hope it can hold onto that more serious tone a bit more.

The humor...well, I do hope there's some smarter humor and not just lowest common denominator stuff, but you have to get the kids on board.

Also I'm 90% sure one of those friend's voices is Awkwafina.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Also I'm 90% sure one of those friend's voices is Awkwafina.

Wait it might be Harvey Guillén? King of being in movies about wishes.

Plus, Asha’s tight-knit group of confidants, protectors and forever friends: Jennifer Kumiyama as Asha’s dearest friend, Dahlia, who’s an accomplished baker and unofficial leader of their group; Evan Peters as the strong guy with a big heart and bigger yawn, Simon; Harvey Guillén as Gabo, who may be cynical, but he has a heart of gold; Ramy Youseff as Safi, who’s plagued by allergies; Niko Vargas as Asha’s joyful, always smiling buddy, Hal; Della Saba as the seemingly shy teenager, Bazeema, who’s full of surprises; and Jon Rudnitsky as Asha’s rosy-cheeked, wiggly-eared pal, Dario.

Some of that grating "snarky and hip" trailer editing rears its head again and I'm a little worried about Valentino, but on the whole it's a decent trailer. Magnifico and Star at least seem like they'll be memorable characters. Now it's up to the final product to fully win people over.

• Like 3

I think the odds of this getting delayed from the strike would have been significantly higher if it wasn't the 100th anniversary. They can't really push that to next year.

But we saw with Elemental any issues with COVID getting people used to Disney+ can be overcome with good reviews and word or mouth.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

I mean even if it wasn't the 100th I don't think actor promotion is that significant a factor in its marketing. Don't imagine Ariana Debose or Chris Pine are super big draws for the family audience just based on their presence. Honestly I didn't even realize Matthew Broderick played adult Simba until I was a teen.

Lame humor aside, this looks like it has some potential. Really like how This Wish is being the main song to sell, perhaps on the 15th they release it and maybe one more in hopes one makes Let It Go/How Far I’ll Go level buzz. Looking forward to the duality and performances of DeBose’s Asha and Pine’s King Magnificeno. 

Can’t really give box office predictions now but I can see it opening similar to The Good Dinosaur for the 3 day/5 day (35/55m) and then if word of mouth is good as I think Trolls will eat into it some, maybe having decent legs for most of December to around 160-180m. Wonka and Migration are the only things making me leery about a supremely leggy Elemental/Frozen run.

49 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The cynical part of me knows that goat just exists to sell toys and plushies, but at least it is the smallest character on the poster. They learned something after Frozen Olaf marketing overload. Baby steps, Disney. 

I wish they leaned more into the selling plushies thing tbh. Tudyk's deep British voice and irreverent lines makes him far less cute. Disney seems to be going for the usual "cute"/"butt monkey" dynamic between him and Star, but Star still seems like the more legit humorous character here. 

Gonna hold out hope though that he has much funnier dialogue than what's on display here, or at least doesn't proportionally talk as much compared to the movie's full runtime.

Edited by AniNate

53 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

That star is going to sell way more merch than that goat.

It better be a mug. I have a collection of Disney mugs and haven't added any since 2020 besides the Turning Red one because they just don't look that great (or are not dishwasher safe)

Edited by Morieris

50 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean even if it wasn't the 100th I don't think actor promotion is that significant a factor in its marketing. Don't imagine Ariana Debose or Chris Pine are super big draws for the family audience just based on their presence. Honestly I didn't even realize Matthew Broderick played adult Simba until I was a teen.

Yeah but if strikes are still going during Novmeber, actors can't promote the soundtrack which is an important factor for these movies. 

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I'm not really sure about this. The humor's just really bleh.

Yeah I kinda agree. The humor was a bit too juvenile for me (yes, I know the target audience is literal children) and the art style hasn’t grown on me yet. I’m hoping the soundtrack wins me over though.

• Like 1