YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

Think WDAS needs a creative shakeup the most out of the arms as the problems for all the others are easily fixable (Fire the marketing guy Asaz in general - he can’t sell anything not guaranteed to win like what’s been proven the second due hoppped on the job, Pixar needs to be theatrical events again as quality wise - they’re still more or less aces, Star Wars needs to have a theatrical plan and do stuff outside the Skywalker lore, Marvel needs to stick to no more than 3 projects a year, not start production until they have something special and maybe a hard reboot after SW).

Bush and Howard are the only ones with juice. Hall, Lee, Fawn are painfully boring, Musker/Clements left, Moore and Greno defected to the dark side. They have no shooters left. If that means taking a gamble on someone new or getting freelance people. Peter Ramsey, Jeff Rowe and many other great creatives go from studio to studio. Think maybe getting their DTVA guys for a feature. Worked for Mitchells and TMNT. I think Braly, the one cartoon with farmers and the Moon Girl team could do a narrative feature. Hirsch and Terrace could’ve too but Disney burned them bridges badly.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, YM! said:

Think WDAS needs a creative shakeup the most out of the arms as the problems for all the others are easily fixable (Fire the marketing guy Asaz in general - he can’t sell anything not guaranteed to win like what’s been proven the second due hoppped on the job, Pixar needs to be theatrical events again as quality wise - they’re still more or less aces, Star Wars needs to have a theatrical plan and do stuff outside the Skywalker lore, Marvel needs to stick to no more than 3 projects a year, not start production until they have something special and maybe a hard reboot after SW).

Bush and Howard are the only ones with juice. Hall, Lee, Fawn are painfully boring, Musker/Clements left, Moore and Greno defected to the dark side. They have no shooters left. If that means taking a gamble on someone new or getting freelance people. Peter Ramsey, Jeff Rowe and many other great creatives go from studio to studio. Think maybe getting their DTVA guys for a feature. Worked for Mitchells and TMNT. I think Braly, the one cartoon with farmers and the Moon Girl team could do a narrative feature. Hirsch and Terrace could’ve too but Disney burned them bridges badly.

Would that lead to Lee being kicked out as CCO if they do a shakeup?

Edited by Spideeey24

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think it’s shooting for 250 WW as the ceiling with the critical reception if I’m being honest. Hopefully not a lot worse, but maybe. Barring a drastic turn around in later reviews, but I don’t like what I’m seeing from a lot of “Disney people” who have seen it as well… 

Not really a Disney people Disney people. There’s brands I still love (WDAS, Pixar and Marvel will always have a special place in my heart and as a whole Pixar still outpace most of their competitors on a quality standard for kids animations and DTVA still does great kid shows.) but I’m not rude or die for the studio. I loathe most of the live action remakes, not a Star Wars guy outside of the cartoons, Andor and TLJ, and think they have gone too safe in general as a brand and need more creativity even if it means running the risk of alienation.

That said, think Wish will be relatively fine. My audience of kids and families loved it. That should be enough for The Good Dinosaur numbers.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m not sure what vendetta critics were waging against Disney at the time, but something is definitely up there with Brother Bear. It’s about as innocuous as it gets, there’s no way that’s WDAS worst of all time like the reviews suggest. 37% is objectively ridiculous. 

I mean, if I'm being honest, I think right now is one of those times, too, and I struggle to believe Wish is as bad as critics are saying.

But people get mad when you claim critics as a whole have biases, so...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, if I'm being honest, I think right now is one of those times, too, and I struggle to believe Wish is as bad as critics are saying.

But people get mad when you claim critics as a whole have biases, so...

I'd say Critics are biased to give good reviews to Disney movies really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YM! said:

Not really a Disney people Disney people. There’s brands I still love (WDAS, Pixar and Marvel will always have a special place in my heart and as a whole Pixar still outpace most of their competitors on a quality standard for kids animations and DTVA still does great kid shows.) but I’m not rude or die for the studio. I loathe most of the live action remakes, not a Star Wars guy outside of the cartoons, Andor and TLJ, and think they have gone too safe in general as a brand and need more creativity even if it means running the risk of alienation.

That said, think Wish will be relatively fine. My audience of kids and families loved it. That should be enough for The Good Dinosaur numbers.

Wasn’t referring to reactions here necessarily, just generally online what I’ve seen so far from people who are big Disney fans. A recurring theme already seems like “wanted to love this BUT…”, and then complaints about all the Disney refs actually hurting the movie and feeling a bit cold and corporate. 

• Like 1

The big criticism that is completely beyond me is the movie being "boring" or "lifeless". It moves at a pretty brisk pace imo, and there's definitely enough hijinks to keep kids entertained.

As a resident Good Dinosaur apologist I can kinda understand why people might level that criticism at that movie, not so much here though.

On 11/17/2023 at 6:21 PM, MovieMan89 said:

Of course original animation can still do well btw. We just need a truly great received one post covid era. So frustrating in hindsight that Encanto wasn’t a year later. I genuinely believe it would have beaten Frozen at the box office out of the covid era.  

100%. I believe Encanto could have done Zootopia numbers if it released a year later and wasn't rushed to D+. Would have had insane legs.

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

me looking at the reactions from our population here like

200a7b261c0edbfb1e4ac2df846d52a1b2cf9715

An overly good or bad movie can be entertaining. I'm more curious if it's Mario Mid than anything else.

This wasn't the outcome I was wanting obviously but I do think 50s RT movies can still be interesting in their own way. I hate the phrase "no in-between" but I feel like a lot of the discourse so far has largely been about people either fundamentally buying into what the movie is going for or not. There are some criticisms I do have but it just won me over through its sheer commitment to concept and all the endearing character interactions, not to mention all the songs which I do think are good.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m not sure what vendetta critics were waging against Disney at the time, but something is definitely up there with Brother Bear. It’s about as innocuous as it gets, there’s no way that’s WDAS worst of all time like the reviews suggest. 37% is objectively ridiculous. 

It just seems to be cyclical when the critics are the hardest on Disney after its highs. For Brother Bear, you actually have a perfect parallel in the MCU.

You had a high in the Renaissance period (MCU Phase 3) but then films of decreasing quality in Dinosaur, Atlantis and Treasure Planet (Eternals, Multiverse of Madness and Love & Thunder). BB bore the critical brunt as it arrived in the Quantummania position. No way close to being the worst of the franchise but critics thought Disney needed a wake-up alarm at the time.

Wish is probably in the BB/Quantumania spot after the high of the 2010's Revival era and then disappointments in Raya and Strange World.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

It just seems to be cyclical when the critics are the hardest on Disney after its highs. For Brother Bear, you actually have a perfect parallel in the MCU.

You had a high in the Renaissance period (MCU Phase 3) but then films of decreasing quality in Dinosaur, Atlantis and Treasure Planet (Eternals, Multiverse of Madness and Love & Thunder). BB bore the critical brunt as it arrived in the Quantummania position. No way close to being the worst of the franchise but critics thought Disney needed a wake-up alarm at the time.

Wish is probably in the BB/Quantumania spot after the high of the 2010's Revival era and then disappointments in Raya and Strange World.

It's a little bit fast shift in reality, when they (WDA) released Encanto just a couple years ago.

1 hour ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

It's a little bit fast shift in reality, when they (WDA) released Encanto just a couple years ago.

Yeah but Marvel put out No Way Home at the same time and The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stitch were also bright spots in 2000s WDAS but that didn't stop critics from turning on those studios.

It's basically critics deciding when to stop giving free rides based on goodwill of previous works.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

I agree but Raya was not a disappointment, at least critically even though I think that movie plays it too safe. 

Honestly, I don't get the backlash Raya has gotten over the years. I remember thinking it was an all-timer, at least for recent Disney, and I still think that. Cool story, cool world, cool characters, solid message, great action. What's not to like?

(for the record, I don't really care why people don't like it, so you don't have to quote why you don't like it to me lol)