YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

Well I just got back from seeing this, and... eh? The musical numbers are all fine at the very least, but most of them didn't really leave much of an impression. It's sort of like Strange World again, where there's nothing that's overall outrageously bad, but a lot of movie didn't leave me feeling much outside of thinking it was a movie. The characters are nothing special for the most part save for a select few, for better or worse.

The animation didn't wow me as much as I expected it to, but I hope they play around with different artstyles more for future WDAS films.

Yeah ok… This Wish’s chorus is a total earworm. And not really in an annoying way for me like Let It Go either, more pleasant like How Far I’ll Go type of vibes. Definitely like it more than Waiting On a Miracle now. I just wish the rest of the song was stronger. And still think the visual sequence is dullsville. 

• Like 1

It sucks they chose to bring 2D animation back in this way rather than just all in committing. I would go crazy to see what WDAS could do with a new hand drawn film, they were always the best around at it in western animation. But between Princess and the Frog, Winnie the Pooh, and now this all being some of their biggest commercial failures this century, we’ll probably be lucky if they try 2D again before another decade. 

Ok, I just realized some of the lyrics;

"I'd give the clothes off Benito's back, if you really needed that,

I'd be the first one to volunteer Henry."

He doesn't volunteer to actually help, but to tell other people to help. The song is still not my style but that's funny.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 5:02 PM, AniNate said:

Elemental definitely had much better GA word-of-mouth than it looks like Wish has. It's actually trending behind even Good Dinosaur's terrible legs. If it's not killed before Wonka/Migration at least one of those is definitely gonna kill it. Just a massive swing and a miss it sadly appears.

It does not to be killed; it's pretyt much dead, Jim.

yes, Disney aimed it at the family audience, but famalies are not turning out to see it.

Edited by dudalb

On 11/26/2023 at 6:52 AM, Mojoguy said:

WDAS needs to take 2024 off at this point. Regroup and figuring out how to make animated hits again. They made it look so easy from PATF to Moana.

Kinda interesting how Marvel and WDAS both had the same period of highs starting from 2008/2009, hitting peaks in 2012/2013 with TA & Frozen and then 2019 with Endgame and Frozen 2, before going on the downward slope in the 2020s

4 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Kinda interesting how Marvel and WDAS both had the same period of highs starting from 2008/2009, hitting peaks in 2012/2013 with TA & Frozen and then 2019 with Endgame and Frozen 2, before going on the downward slope in the 2020s

There will lots of arguments in the future about when this recent dark age started, either when they did the Ralph/Frozen sequels, Raya or Wish. Though to be fair Raya was impacted by covid.

Will this be called the D+ Dark Era?

Edited by Mojoguy

23 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I didn't like Frozen II but I wouldn't consider it egregious enough to start a dark age.

It made lots of money and RBTI did well, but I was only talking about the decline in writing quality from the first. Also it was the start of releasing WDAS sequels to theaters that's going to be very common in the next few years.

Edited by Mojoguy

RBTI was the first time in awhile I was decidedly unhyped for a Disney animated movie, though it did get good reviews and performed decently at the box office. In retrospect though I do think their increased focus on sequels eroded the artistic respect they maintained, and probably contributed to the generally cynical reception of Wish. Also Clements and Musker retiring was pretty much a symbolic conclusion to the "revival" era.

14 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

There will lots of arguments in the future about when this recent dark age started, either when they did the Ralph/Frozen sequels, Raya or Wish. Though to be fair Raya was impacted by covid.

Will this be called the D+ Dark Era?

I think the case could be made for either Ralph 2 or Raya, although I would lean towards Raya. Ralph 2 was the first sign of a demonstrably weaker audience reception and was two full years removed from Moana, but with the Ralph/Frozen sequels they were at least commercially successful and critically both movies had decent enough reception (the Renaissance era wasn't without its critical hiccups either).

Raya is actually fairly well received among critics and audiences outside of the internet, but commercially there's an entire pandemic and the Disney+ effect separating it from Frozen 2, and we've had 4 straight movies with less than stellar box office results now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It made lots of money and RBTI did well, but I was only talking about the decline in writing quality from the first. Also it was the start of releasing WDAS sequels to theaters that's going to be very common in the next few years.

Honestly, I think it's better Disney releases sequels to theaters than direct-to-DVD. At least, they will put more effort if the sequels will be released on theaters.

I don't think it's fair to hold box office against Raya and Encanto. That whole time period comes with an asterisk and it's quite clear that Encanto at least has shown itself to be a very lucrative IP. Strange World was the first time it was obvious that audiences weren't showing up for just anything Disney anymore.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

I am wondering if that $5 discount thing will actually make box office even worse for this? I guess the incentive for Disney would be a hope that more kids seeing it moves some of the merch. I have to imagine they’re in panic mode if they’re not selling the merch for a movie like this. At least with SW, it was never really a “merch” type of movie anyways.