YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

If there's one thing this indicates, it's that the "hip, post-modern musical" formula that made Disney so much money during the 2010s is getting played out, just as the Broadway-style musical formula did at the end of the 1990s. So what new formula is going to replace it?

10 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

So if the movie's out on digital now, can we officially call it that this has no chance of even reaching the $250 million mark?

Hmm yeah that seems like a safe bet.

I really do wonder why this movie failed so hard. I guess no one really liked it.

4 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

If there's one thing this indicates, it's that the "hip, post-modern musical" formula that made Disney so much money during the 2010s is getting played out, just as the Broadway-style musical formula did at the end of the 1990s. So what new formula is going to replace it?

On the theory that things go in cycles, probably a return to the Broadway style musicals.............

• Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Just now, dudalb said:

On the theory that things go in cycles, probably a return to the Broadway style musicals.............

I don't think you guys realize the style of music that was in Disney movies for the past 10 years or so is in fact, modern broadway style. Same composers and everything.

55 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

So if the movie's out on digital now, can we officially call it that this has no chance of even reaching the $250 million mark?

Looks like $200-300 million WW might be the new range most animated films fall in now unless they have above average hype or reception. We had 4 animated films land in this narrow range last year, and Mutant Mayhem wasn't too far from the floor either. 

54 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't think you guys realize the style of music that was in Disney movies for the past 10 years or so is in fact, modern broadway style. Same composers and everything.

Ok, i meant the more traditional type Broadway show.....

Honestly...the domestic underperformance is kind of shocking? It's not like the OS numbers are good but they are 3x the DOM numbers! For a film that didn't even do well in China that's just absurd. I don't get why this flopped so much harder domestically.

• Like 1

Just now, JustLurking said:

Honestly...the domestic underperformance is kind of shocking? It's not like the OS numbers are good but they are 3x the DOM numbers! For a film that didn't even do well in China that's just absurd. I don't get why this flopped so much harder domestically.

yeah that is very confusing tbh. Like here in Germany it's about to crack 2 Million tickets sold, which is almost Moana levels.

But in the US it just completely collapsed.

Source: http://insidekino.com/SP/SPOTH/SPDisneyAnimation.htm

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

On paper, this should have had no issue crossing $100 million DOM. I guess Disney+ has really incentivized families to just wait for streaming if the product isn't appealing enough. 

THIS.

I know that I have passed up movies because I did not think they were worth spending 12 bucks on, but would giver them a chance when they reached streaming.

Streaming has had  the greatest  negative impact on theaterical attendence of anything since the coming of Television in the late 40's, which cut threatical attendence by 40$.

And it is premanent. Ticket sales are not boucning back.

And don't put the blame on COvid. The shift would have happened anyway, COvid just speeded it up.

Of course D+ hasn't helped with bringing families back to Disney titles, but I think Wish's issue was more of the product itself.  While the 1st trailer definitely peaked interest, the 2D/3D hybrid animation didn't turn out that well in the public eye, having a "cheaper" feel.  By the 2nd trailer, audiences could tell the jokes and story faired more kid friendly than usual, limiting audiences.  The poor reviews were the nail in the coffin when Trolls was opening right before it to more success.

Hell, I even made a personal oath to see all the Disney & PIXAR films in theaters, but this is where I drew the line.  I even saw Strange World and I wouldn't see this.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, crazymoviekid said:

Of course D+ hasn't helped with bringing families back to Disney titles, but I think Wish's issue was more of the product itself.  While the 1st trailer definitely peaked interest, the 2D/3D hybrid animation didn't turn out that well in the public eye, having a "cheaper" feel.  By the 2nd trailer, audiences could tell the jokes and story faired more kid friendly than usual, limiting audiences.  The poor reviews were the nail in the coffin when Trolls was opening right before it to more success.

Hell, I even made a personal oath to see all the Disney & PIXAR films in theaters, but this is where I drew the line.  I even saw Strange World and I wouldn't see this.

Oh, I agree that Wish would hprobably have failed if Disney Plus did not exist if it was the same film.

I will probably try it on Disney plus. If it's boring or not very good I can switch to something else and not fell out of pocket 12 bucks.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/wish-ratings-13-2-million-views-on-disney-first-five-days-1235878794/

Disney revealed on Monday that its musical animated feature Wish, starring Ariana DeBose (West Side Story) and Chris Pine (Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves) garnered 13.2 million views globally in its first five days streaming on Disney+.

This amounts to the third biggest premiere on the service, behind those of Encanto and Frozen 2, with a view being defined as total stream time divided by runtime.

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, I watched to find out how much of a dumpster fire it actually was. I feel like that's what a large portion of those who watched did as well.

ok

12 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, I watched to find out how much of a dumpster fire it actually was. I feel like that's what a large portion of those who watched did as well.

They were probably mostly children.