YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

On 1/1/2024 at 2:45 PM, KP1025 said:

Will be interesting to see if it does manage to crawl over Paw Patrol in the end. A big-budget WDAS musical losing to that film is just embarrassing. 

No kidding.

And because it's budget was low, Paw Patrol will make a good profit for the studio. Wish won't.

Has now passed a 70% overseas share

Strong debut in South Korea, but obviously would need even more of a miracle run from the country than Elemental somehow to shift the narrative. It has now opened in every major territory.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 9:35 AM, AniNate said:

Has now passed a 70% overseas share

Strong debut in South Korea, but obviously would need even more of a miracle run from the country than Elemental somehow to shift the narrative. It has now opened in every major territory.

Man, Disney is going to take a bath on this one.

It cost 200 Million, and film needs to take in at least twice it's budget to just break even.

No, the theaters do not get half the money, but what they get and other overhead expenses reduce the studio take to overall one half of ticket sales. 

Edited by dudalb

I definitely did not think it was hitting 200 so it manages to avoid being as big of a disaster as Marvels. Thats about it though. I am most curious on the merch aspect of it all, seems like they went insane pre-release with stock shipments 

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I definitely did not think it was hitting 200 so it manages to avoid being as big of a disaster as Marvels. Thats about it though. I am most curious on the merch aspect of it all, seems like they went insane pre-release with stock shipments 

A lot of Wish merchandfise will end up in the bargain shelf, probably.

I wonder how much the strikes screwed this one over. I have a feeling they realized this still needed more time in the oven considering they were thinking about delaying this, but this was also their 100th anniversary movie and they wanted the movie done in 2023.

On 1/7/2024 at 12:35 PM, AniNate said:

basically impossible for Korea alone to make Wish profitable.

13 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

I wonder how much the strikes screwed this one over. I have a feeling they realized this still needed more time in the oven considering they were thinking about delaying this, but this was also their 100th anniversary movie and they wanted the movie done in 2023.

I don't think the strikes affected this movie at all... WDAS wasn't under SAG or the writers' guild

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I don't think the strikes affected this movie at all... WDAS wasn't under SAG or the writers' guild

I agree. I don't think Wish movie was really affected by the strike.

At most, voice actors couldn't promote the movie during the strike, but this promotion isn't so relevant for an Animated movie. Not to mention that the strike has already ended for two weeks when Wish was released.

Edited by Kon

I definitely don't see how strikes would prevent a delay. Whatever wasn't working probably wasn't going to be resolved with a few months of rewriting and voice redubbing.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Granted that animated films don't work the same way 

On 1/16/2024 at 7:44 AM, PNF2187 said:

A. As other have shown, strike probably had little impact on the film.

And from all I have read, the falws were so basic that they could not be fixed unless you go back to squre one...which is simply not fininacilaly feasible with anyfilm nowdays.