YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

Well, if Wish flops probably the only good this we’ll see is WDAS shying away to their formulaic musicals.

Like I love all their musical films, but I’ve been dying to have a musical with a male protagonist. 90s had those with Aladdin, Hercules and The Lion King.

It seems WDAS had greatly constricted their musicals as girl’s film of some sort?! And they’re diluting the market with their “princess”-like formulaic films.

I know King of the Elves was something they were working on years ago, maybe a musical of that will work. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Firstly, this animation style just does not work for me at all on the small screen. I realize big screen may change everything,  but I’d still argue the fact that it looks so dull on a small screen hurt it big time in marketing. 

Did you put it in the highest resolution you could?

I think at this point if you don't like the style in low res, you're not gonna like it much better in hi res. A lot of negative reviews have still been complaining about it. Chalk it up to an experiment that just doesn't resonate right now. I do also feel though it would be cut a lot more slack if any studio but Disney were behind it.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Yeah I also think the lackluster opening came from the middling reviews and the animation style.

I for one am not thoroughly enticed by the animation style Disney tried this time, and I wouldn’t doubt the general audience would really find it “cool”, cause it’s not. 

WDAS’s CGI style has been excellent ever since, so I’m not sure why did they have to mix it up this time. The ocean in Moana looks GORGEOUS, Encanto had this lush glow, etc.

• Like 1

I suppose since this is looking more likely to bomb hard by the day, have to wonder about the fallout. Gonna be a real shame if this results in Fawn Veerasunthorn getting a pink slip, she really seemed like she had potential to be an exciting new voice. I assume Chris Buck and J Lee are probably safe since they've still got the Frozen movies to fall back on.

I can see their 2024 release vacating Thanksgiving at this point and maybe moving to March 2025, especially if it is in fact an original. They clearly aren't the titans of the industry anymore and it will give them a little more time to make sure everything is working with that movie given the SAG strike probably delayed voice work. They also likely need a deep reevaluation of their test screening process, it seemingly gave them a completely inaccurate impression of what a general audience reception would be here.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I follow my favorite author on Twitter and he has a small child; They liked it - and apparently it's out in Ireland too -- and honestly that seems to be the goal. Families with different standards than us online weirdo cinephiles.

That would be all well and good if they were actually showing up for it. Whatever audience they were targeting here, it's evidently not a sustainable one

50 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I follow my favorite author on Twitter and he has a small child; They liked it - and apparently it's out in Ireland too -- and honestly that seems to be the goal. Families with different standards than us online weirdo cinephiles.

Plenty of families seemingly liked it, but people are just not showing up for it, for some reason.

We can always hope for an Elemental kind of deal here, but it looks highly unlikely.

4 hours ago, Dingdong said:

Well, if Wish flops probably the only good this we’ll see is WDAS shying away to their formulaic musicals.

Like I love all their musical films, but I’ve been dying to have a musical with a male protagonist. 90s had those with Aladdin, Hercules and The Lion King.

It seems WDAS had greatly constricted their musicals as girl’s film of some sort?! And they’re diluting the market with their “princess”-like formulaic films.

I know King of the Elves was something they were working on years ago, maybe a musical of that will work. 

Yeah, “musicals are for girls” has been a rather odd notion Disney has seemed to have during the Revival, I will say. it’s not a coincidence Aladdin and Lion King were the two biggest of the Renaissance. It’s always been a bigger ask to get little boys interested in the princess stuff en masse (unless you’re me as a little boy lol). 

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

I think at this point if you don't like the style in low res, you're not gonna like it much better in hi res. A lot of negative reviews have still been complaining about it. Chalk it up to an experiment that just doesn't resonate right now. I do also feel though it would be cut a lot more slack if any studio but Disney were behind it.

Well, that basically confirms I’m not gonna bother with the theater then lol. And no though on the “only because it’s WDAS” thing for me. I actually have very very high animation standards for all of the major studios today except DWA. SPA has proven how great they can be there and Illumination almost always looks gorgeous even if the move sucks. WDAS and Pixar haven’t been the only ones doing amazing animation for some time now. It’s basically just DWA that languishes there. 

I officially kick Wish out from my Oscar best animation prediction list. Review isn't improving and so too for verified audience score which has been hovering around 82%. Ironic to see WDAS got their first animation Oscar win during 90th anniversary but risking not nominated at all for 100 years. 

Just now, Arlborn said:

It’s a good Disney song to be honest. 

I’ve listened some more today since it was in my head, and the stretch between the first and second chorus is a hot mess. I just don’t know what they were doing there. Otherwise it’s definitley growing on me. But the first chorus also doesn’t hit hard enough, and having only one chorus that does isn’t enough. Idk, the bones are there but I think it needed work. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Elemental had the summer advantage, which is huge for original animated films

And no real competition during its run. And the movie itself is actually pretty good.

Edited by Boxx93

Elemental definitely had much better GA word-of-mouth than it looks like Wish has. It's actually trending behind even Good Dinosaur's terrible legs. If it's not killed before Wonka/Migration at least one of those is definitely gonna kill it. Just a massive swing and a miss it sadly appears.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Letterbox’d and IMDB are just horrific. 2.8 and 5.9 respectively, and it’s likely to keep dropping. 

Wonder if it's been reviewed bombed.

WDAS needs to take 2024 off at this point. Regroup and figuring out how to make animated hits again. They made it look so easy from PATF to Moana.

Edited by Mojoguy