YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

On 12/10/2023 at 7:45 PM, cannastop said:

sure it would get viewers but viewers alone aren't money

Question is would it attract new viewers? Would people be willing to subscirbe to Disney Plus primarily because of "Wish". I really, really, doubt it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

None of the songs are on the Original shortlist for the Oscars.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/oscar-shortlists-2024-1235679832/

Thats probably the ultimate blow for the reception of a WDAS musical tbh. Has it EVER happened since the Renaissance? I feel like they’ve all gotten a nom here, let alone the shortlist. 

Edit: seems like Hunchback missed a song nom (wtf not even Out There or God Bless the Outcasts if the correct choice of Hellfire scared them too much??) and if we want to count Home on the Range as a musical, which I feel like is iffy, that missed as well. They may have both gotten on the shortlist at least though. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

the box office might be horrible, but the toy situation seems even worse, haven't seen the supermarket I frequent sell any of the Wish toys it filled some shelves with

will disney feel any pain from those terrible toy sales, or have they already sold off the rights to the merch? even if they sold the rights, they'll probably get a much worse contract next time around 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the box office might be horrible, but the toy situation seems even worse, haven't seen the supermarket I frequent sell any of the Wish toys it filled some shelves with

will disney receive any direct pain from those terrible sales, or have they already sold off the rights to the merch? even if they sold the rights, they'll probably get a much worse contract next time around 

Yeah, this is my theory for why they did the discount ticket deal. Trying to get as many kids’ eyes on it as possible since I think they are in full blown panic over the merch situation. Seems they shipped A LOT of it out for this movie 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, this is my theory for why they did the discount ticket deal. Trying to get as many kids’ eyes on it as possible since I think they are in full blown panic over the merch situation. Seems they shipped A LOT of it out for this movie 

Unsold Wish dolls are going to be out for YEARS on clearance. I still see a ton of unsold Raya dolls and toys around in my 99 cent store.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Unsold Wish dolls are going to be out for YEARS on clearance. I still see a ton of unsold Raya dolls and toys around in my 99 cent store.

I can’t imagine it would be nearly as bad with Raya though since Disney would have been stupid to not scale back merch plans for that accordingly in the thick of the pandemic 

14 hours ago, Morieris said:

None of the songs are on the Original shortlist for the Oscars.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/oscar-shortlists-2024-1235679832/

This category has been Disney strongest hold when come to Oscar race. Yet they are dominated by WB this year. And Wonka is basically a WB's prince musical. A year of flop is now complete.  

20 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

will disney feel any pain from those terrible toy sales, or have they already sold off the rights to the merch? even if they sold the rights, they'll probably get a much worse contract next time around 

I was just at Books a Million and ours sells a lot of toys; They had buy one get one 50% off and that endcap was still full of merchandise.

• Like 1

Well I guess we see now that D+ most definitely does have an effect even when your movie is hardly grossing much of anything, since this was holding worse than Strange World going into Xmas and should have finished around 57-58 DOM following that. But now looks headed to around 65, with SW getting put on D+ for Xmas last year.

So idk if that extra 7-8m DOM was worth whatever they could’ve gotten out of holiday views on D+ instead, but it does prove that streaming will hurt BO, again even when the gross is already very low. It’s actually a +14% gross increase if we assume a 57m finish vs 65m. Interestingly, extrapolating that onto a huge 500m blockbuster would mean said movie could lose as much as 70m DOM from being put on streaming prematurely. 

Edited by MovieMan89

I do think it probably lends itself a lot better to four-quad apolitical family viewing than Strange World did, and obviously it's doing much better overseas than that movie.

As I said above they've also still got significant territories to open it in in Korea and Brazil, along with still brisk runs going in other territories, so I definitely don't see it advantageous to potentially undermine those with an early streaming drop.

Edited by AniNate