chasmmi

The Top Foreign Film List is Go...

12 hours ago, chasmmi said:

95th: Taare Zameen Par (India) 3 Votes: 102 Points

2020 Position: 125th 

27JlFz.taare.jpg

India has arrived and so I assume this also bodes the arrival of at least one of the Khans

I am not sure what to make of this film from that above song. I am assuming it is maybe Burt's origin story from Mary Poppins, but I could be wrong. It is also hard to tell which of the kids is going to fall in love with who but it turns out they are betrothed to another. 

This is clearly a popular film as one song has over 700 million views... wait a sec, that's barely one view per two Indians. I've watched A Million Dreams from Greatest showman 27 times alone. This is clearly a flop if it doesn't have at least 12 billion views. 

It looks like we have a few films dropping out of the top 100 from last time out as this is the 4th film out of 6 to be new to the top 100 this time around. That means something has to drop out. Hopefully it is a certain anime or two...

The real list we all care about:

3 - Japan 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - India

An excellent addition to this list, such a wonderful film. I hope its entry helped to kick out The Young Girls Of Rochefort, I saw it when preparing for this list and it was truly terrible.

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

90th: Kal Ho Naa Ho (India) 4 Votes: 106 Points

2020 Position: 66th 

tcSADF.md.jpg

The best Hindi film of all time comes in... about 25 place lower than last time. I am a sad panda. 

The best version of Pretty Woman in any film ever. 

I love this film. It is Bollywood at its best. Shah Rukh at his best, everything at its best really. I think it has some great songs, some great drama, some great melodrama and just is a good time, a good cry, and a good fun time. 

It is another Indian film falling a fair distance and that again can be a concern for the rest of the reveals. However, this does also bring India level with Japan for list representation and who knows how things may go from here. 

3 - Japan

3 - India

2 - Italy 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - South Korea

• Like 7

89th: Solaris (Russia) 3 Votes: 107 Points

2020 Position: No Ranking? 

tcSuN1.md.jpg

Wasn't this a George Clooney film?

I suppose the big question is whether this can somehow be even more boring that 2001: A Space Odyssey. it has all the tools to achieve it. 

Yeah, I am not fussed about not having seen this, but I also know that this is likely to draw the ire of true cinema fans as this really does look like true cinema at its most pure and concentrated. Unless there is a scene where somebody hits something with a wrench and does a quip about Taiwan. 

My records show this film not receiving a single vote last time around, which feels like i missed something as I am sure I remember this film making the list last time. Maybe I dreamed it. 

3 - Japan

3 - India

2 - Italy 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - South Korea

1 - Russia (includes USSR) 

• Like 6

88th: The Intouchables (France) 3 Votes: 107 Points

2020 Position: 62nd

tctolt.md.jpg

Oh yeah, France. France is also a thing in world cinema isn't it?

When I see that guy acting, one hundred percent the first thought that comes to mind is Kevin Hart. It is the kind of fit that only a Mario Movie could achieve. 

Shockingly this is another film that I haven't seen although this time it isn't for some hoity toity silly reason, it's simply because the title annoys me and every time I see it, it kind of grates away at a segment of my mind that I don't want turned into parmesan.    

There are clearly going to be a bunch of big risers and new entries on the top half of this list as there are a bunch of films dropping 20, 30 or even more spaces and this is another victim of that trend. I don't see this yet to be a sign that France may be about to suffer Italy's apparent fate as France received nearly twice as many films in the top 100. It just may be a sign that middle of the road, event of the moment comedies, may not fare well in this list. 

3 - Japan

3 - India

2 - Italy 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - South Korea

1 - France

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

87th: The Hero (China) 6 Votes: 107 Points

2020 Position: 95th

tctxUX.md.jpg

This list don't need a hero to save it

It's not gonna stand here and wait

Remember when China was about to rule the world? This and House of Flying Daggers were sending mild ripples through the box office. The national football team qualified for a world cup because Korea and Japan were there by default, And Mulan was still only recently a thing. Yes... crazy times. 

I promise that I do watch films. I mean it was only recently I was watching Sonic 2 in cinemas. But this is another I haven't seen sadly. partly because I didn't see the big one that came before it either. I think I was on my Bollywood phase at this point. 2002-2005 was a mystical time to be alive.   

Do mine ears deceive me! A film has actually risen from a previous placing within the top 100. This is unprecedented. Rising a solid 8 places, this is a film that has successfully managed to maintain its spot in the memory as that film what came out that time and was kind of popular, but not as popular as that other one. 

3 - Japan

3 - India

2 - Italy 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - South Korea

1 - France

1 - China

• Like 8

86th: Ponyo (Japan) 3 Votes: 108 Points

2020 Position: 177th

tctnfI.md.jpg

Oh... wait, I think I see where this list is heading. 

Ah, this is a film that is on my list of films to almost watch... 

Ghibli is a force to be reckoned with on any list where it stands a chance of doing well and this may prove to be no different. If The Ickle Mermaid is making its way into the 80s then there are potentially a fair few other films to come (rightly or wrongly - some very very wrongly).  

Another near 100 place climber from Japan is threatening to turn this list into a Spoiler-like stomp all through the city of broken film industries. ponyo has a fishgirl eating ramen. what can possibly top that from say Lebanon, Burkina Faso, or Ecuador?

4 - Japan

3 - India

2 - Italy 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - South Korea

1 - France

1 - China

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

With the other AI stuff, I could at least see how it arrived at that conclusion. Why does it think KHNH is a slasher/stalker movie.

I think it zoned in on the 'depressed, lonely girl part of the description more than anything else and so... came up with a shadowy figure staring at a mural. 

32 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

88th: The Intouchables (France) 3 Votes: 107 Points

2020 Position: 62nd

tctolt.md.jpg

Oh yeah, France. France is also a thing in world cinema isn't it?

When I see that guy acting, one hundred percent the first thought that comes to mind is Kevin Hart. It is the kind of fit that only a Mario Movie could achieve. 

Shockingly this is another film that I haven't seen although this time it isn't for some hoity toity silly reason, it's simply because the title annoys me and every time I see it, it kind of grates away at a segment of my mind that I don't want turned into parmesan.    

There are clearly going to be a bunch of big risers and new entries on the top half of this list as there are a bunch of films dropping 20, 30 or even more spaces and this is another victim of that trend. I don't see this yet to be a sign that France may be about to suffer Italy's apparent fate as France received nearly twice as many films in the top 100. It just may be a sign that middle of the road, event of the moment comedies, may not fare well in this list. 

3 - Japan

3 - India

2 - Italy 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - South Korea

1 - France

sorry Intouchables, I didn't watch you soon enough.

On 10/21/2022 at 1:31 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

@chasmmi you promised it will be quick this time.

Let's be fair, if I finish within 40 days, that is technically quick.  

(Also sorry, was delayed by Halloween and wrestling) Let's blow through the next 5 in a very short while

• Haha 2

85th: Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (Korea) 3 Votes: 108 Points

2020 Position: 73rd

DIyYnj.jpg 

There is no way there are 84 films better than this one, let alone 84 foreign language films.

Park Chan Wook is to me, night and day the best director Korea has ever produced. I think if you take his 5 best films, you have a collection of 5 that rivals pretty much any director that has ever directed. I think this is my person 3rd favourite Park film (I haven't seen Decision to Leave yet) and that in itself is quit ethe statement to make in my opinion.  

It drops 12 places which is sad, but at least it remains on the list and that is a plus. Hopefully in 2025, more folks will have seen this and we'll have a much more deserving placement. 

4 - Japan

3 - India

2 - Italy

2 - South Korea 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - France

1 - China

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

84th: Drishyam (India) 3 Votes: 110 Points

2020 Position: 83rd

DIyc6Q.jpg 

The AI has decided that this was Indian Dick Tracy it seems....

So it seems a trailer for the sequel to this dropped recently and Youtube was desperate for me to watch that instead. This is now three Hindi films straight where I have seemingly found a song/scene where there is no big song and dance number to be seen. Now I haven't seen this film, for all I know the next song is this family dancing and frolicking their way through disguises in order to go into hiding or something. What is apparent though, is that so far, the films to make this list from India, still have songs and music, but they aren't the musicals that I was mostly watching in the early 2000s.

The first film to basically not move. It sems that we cannot agree if Lion King Remake is animated, or if Gravity is sci-fi, but we all know in our hearts that Drishyam is about the 80-85th best foreign movie of all time. 

4 - Japan

4 - India

2 - Italy

2 - South Korea 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - France

1 - China

• Like 7

83rd: Y Tu Mama Tambien (Mexico) 4 Votes: 110 Points

2020 Position: 96th

DIy0FV.jpg

The IMDB description of this film is mildly troubling.  

That scene suggests I needed a stronger word than mildly. But we're in the wacky world of Latin Languages cinema and this is what we get. Is this basically Thelma and Louise if Louise was a pair of teenage boys? It is very hard to tell from just 1 minute of footage. 

What is easier to tell is that this is a climber on our list as it rises a good 13 spots from last time around. The Spanish language as a whole had a decent outing in 2020, so let's see if that continues to be the case in 2022. 

4 - Japan

4 - India

2 - Italy

2 - South Korea 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - France

1 - China

1 - Mexico

• Like 11

82nd: Wolf Children (Japan) 4 Votes: 110 Points

2020 Position: 116th

DIyaMx.jpg 

This is on my animated 'to watch' list. it seems a few others actually got around to watching it. 

This game has both a really interesting premise and a strong reputation that means I am almost certain to watch this whenever my top Animated List becomes due. Who would not be interested in the idea of watching a single mother try to raise baby werewolves? That sounds like something that is far far more intriguing and substantial than a weird giant wombat thing that mumbles and moans while waiting for a cat bus or whatever.

Another big rise for a Japanese animation, I can smell the dissention in the ranks as some worry that this is going to get overwhelming. That is not definitely the case yet... but it is looking possible. 

5 - Japan

4 - India

2 - Italy

2 - South Korea 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - France

1 - China

1 - Mexico

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

81st: Police Story (Hong Kong) 6 Votes: 110 Points

2020 Position: 45th

DIy5Zb.jpg 

The first Police Story film, but is it the best? I dunno. 

Oh it is Jackie Chan? So it is just a crazy man hurting extras from 90 minutes? While jumps from high place to high place.  

I can't be too down on this. Hong Kong knows what it wants in a film and by jove Hong Kong directors will give them that thing again and again and again and again and again and continue this repetition until you get bored. If you are a fan of punchy man hurts bad man, then is very likely to be a strong example of the genre. 

As for change since list 1, it has fallen 30 or so places which means that The Tuxedo now has a chance to take its rightful place as the top Jackie Chan movie.

5 - Japan

4 - India

2 - Italy

2 - South Korea 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - France

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong