chasmmi

The Top Foreign Film List is Go...

65th: Kung Fu Hustle (Hong Kong) 5 Votes: 121 Points

2020 Position: 124th

b6T2Lv.th.png 

I remember when this mini-genre was a big thing

Okay, I yield. That was actually pretty darn funny and silly. 

Comedy does seem to gel quite well with martial arts when done well, and this is a film that looks like it handles that balance very well. It obviously goes without saying that I have not seen this, but it is one of the films that most look like I will enjoy if I actually decided to give something a try. 

A pretty big jump considering China/Hong Kong has not had a strong showing in this opening third of the countdown so far. Maybe this is the start of something  big...

The real list we all care about:

9 - Japan

7 - India

4 - France

3 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - Russia (includes USSR) 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

• Like 6

64th: Gangs of Wassypur (India) 3 Votes: 122 Points

2020 Position: 97th

b6AgdN.png

I'll pay or the money if the star of this film is essentially Indian Kiryu. 

That looks a lot less Yakuza sadly. 

A film that received super strong praise from a very concentrated group of voters suggests that if you watch this you likely won't like it. You will potentially either think it is fine, or think it is one of the best Indian films out there. 

A pretty big jump since last time out as it goes from sneaking into the top 100, to closing in on top 50. 

9 - Japan

8 - India

4 - France

3 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

• Like 6

63rd The Good, The Bad, The Weird (Korea) 6 Votes: 123 Points

2020 Position: 121st

b67X72.png

Yep, that poster certainly checks out. Barring about every part of it. 

This may actually be one of the first films I would recommend to somebody who has never seen a Korean film as it has great actors, a great director, but most importantly... it is supper fun and easy to follow. It doesn't cover difficult or heavy topics or tone changes to the level of a lot of the most revered Korean films and as such it is the closest thing to a light popcorn film, you can suggest from Korean cinema whilst also suggesting something that is really well made and just plain good. 

Was a crime this missed the top 100 last time around. Glad to see it get more traction this time out. Top 50 next time maybe??

9 - Japan

8 - India

4 - France

4 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

64th: Gangs of Wassypur (India) 3 Votes: 122 Points

2020 Position: 97th

b6AgdN.png

I'll pay or the money if the star of this film is essentially Indian Kiryu. 

That looks a lot less Yakuza sadly. 

A film that received super strong praise from a very concentrated group of voters suggests that if you watch this you likely won't like it. You will potentially either think it is fine, or think it is one of the best Indian films out there. 

A pretty big jump since last time out as it goes from sneaking into the top 100, to closing in on top 50. 

9 - Japan

8 - India

4 - France

3 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

Just 3 votes? Is that all needed for 64th. participation must be really low.

62nd Portrait of a Lady on Fire (France) 5 Votes: 124 Points

2020 Position: 68th

b6lKEg.png 

Well that is definitely a portrait right there. Not on fire though, 

So is she painting her like one of her French girls?

Again, being a French film, I am assuming that this scene descends into sexy times. But either way, if it is a good film with a good story then that is just a bonus really. At least it is an easy film to log into excel and look up previous stats for.  Unlike some French films...

A small increase makes this another of the rare steady Eddies of this list so far. Remaining in the 60s, but also getting France away from Korea and on the tail of India...

9 - Japan

8 - India

5 - France

4 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

61st Z (France) 4 Votes: 125 Points

2020 Position: 70th

b6GUOv.png

The movie where a bride gets lost in a garden?

That scene wasn't very French... Oh wait? Multiple fucking films think Z is a good title for a film?

That seems more on point. 

This is apparently quite an important film with an important subject matter, so in case that is true, I am not going to be m usual blaze self when faced with a film that I subjectively do not expect to like. It does round off this group of 5 with a French double. 

Pretty much the same increase as the film before. Is France about to have a little surge?

9 - Japan

8 - India

6 - France

4 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Just 3 votes? Is that all needed for 64th. participation must be really low.

The nature of this being a list with multiple exclusive fanbases means that there is a massive spread of votes. 

There were about 25 lists and yet less than 20 films received 9 votes or more. Those 3 votes above included two top 5 votes which meant it scored a lot of points with points per voter.  

• Like 3

Yeah for instance my top 100 is mostly comprised of Hong Kong / Korean / France / Japan movies

Others will have say India and Italy (making some shit up but you get the idea)

There are just so many foreign films that unless you've watched thousands of movies, you're gonna miss whole countries easily.

29 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Let's get it in Top 10 next time. Watch it guys.

Part 2 really loses a lot of steam IMO. The Sardar Khan parts, with Manoj Bajpai giving an amazing performance are great but once the narrative moves to Nawaz and Co it starts feeling like the movie is treading water just waiting for the ending confrontation.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Part 2 really loses a lot of steam IMO. The Sardar Khan parts, with Manoj Bajpai giving an amazing performance are great but once the narrative moves to Nawaz and Co it starts feeling like the movie is treading water just waiting for the ending confrontation.

I mean there shouldn't be any compulsion to count them as 1 film. Part 1 is def better.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

8 hours ago, Tower said:

As someone who found some of the highly rated Indian films pretty average, Gangs Of Wasseypur is great and more people should see it. Although I expect the extremely long run time will hold people back.

Recently many high ratings are manufactured though pre 2015 high ratings are mostly valid.

Some of these high rated movies are targeted at Indian audience, so may not translate well outside India. Many would travel well internationally as well, e.g. GOW

60th Dil Chahta Hai (India) 4 Votes: 125 Points

2020 Position: 60th

mAG7PR.png

Ah yes, the classic tale of lilypads looking for love. 

This was the film that cemented Saif Ali as my second favourite Khan, and also that I think Pretty Zinta may be my favourite actress of the cross section I have seen.

This was a good film in my opinion. A lot to like from the period where it seemed like a bunch of Bollywood stuff was being set in New York, London, Sydney and so on. There are romance films I prefer from india (I think two of them), but this is still a strong example. 

And India draws back level with Japan. Can Japan possibly retaliate? Also the second film to not move at all from the last outing. 

9 - Japan

8 - India

6 - France

4 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

• Like 4

59th Sholay (India) 4 Votes: 125 Points

2020 Position: 82nd

mAskGf.png

Every time I think the AI poster thing was too much work to commit to, something wonderful happens. 

The Friendship song sounds like something i should be playing for my kindergarteners

So the Bollywood remake of Luca precedes the original by 45 years... Interesting. Was this the first break Indian movie? Like one that people heard of even if they weren't Indian? I know that I know of it as being a classic and I have never seen it. But then, name a film I have fecking seen eh.  

Solid improvement from last time. Increasing over 20 spots and threatening that top 50. It also puts India back into the lead!!!

10 - India

9 - Japan

6 - France

4 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

• Like 7

58th The Young Girls of Rochefort (France) 5 Votes: 125 Points

2020 Position: 32nd

mRfJGR.png 

That looks more like The BFG to me?

So is this just some Cheesy French Musical thing?

Put Zombie makeup on that lot and you have Michael's Jacksons Le Thrill. I haven't watched this, I don't expect there is a world where I will watch this, but if French cinematic pre-1990s is your thing, this seems to be one of the most consistently highly rated films for you to try if giving sexy French people cavorting on a boat sounds like something that you'd want to be a part of.   

It has dropped a fair few places though. it keeps the pressure on Japan and India, and that is something at least. 

10 - India

9 - Japan

7 - France

4 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

57th When Marnie Was There (Japan) 6 Votes: 126 Points

2020 Position: 120th

mR0uXj.png 

That... that's actually not bad

This was a rare film that the second I finished it, I immediately watched it again. I never do that... also, it completely broke me. 

This is my number two Ghibli film of all time. A top 10 animated film of all time. I think this film is incredible and it felt like it was overshadowed by the temporary demise of Studio Ghibli and the higher profile of Princess Kaguya. All I can say is that if you haven't seen this, just go see it. Most of the time when Ghibli adapt a novel, they do it well.

A big, big, increase makes me hopeful that this film has finally been noticed by a wider audience. That fills me with optimism for the next animated list. 

10 - India

10 - Japan

7 - France

4 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56th Another Round (Denmark) 6 Votes: 127 Points

2020 Position: Not Eligible

(Covid really did fuck international film industries didn't it. I think this is the first new film)

mRUGTb.png

Safe bet, going for the alcohol.

This almost feels like something out of India, the music style, the interactions with the scenery and extras and such.

In more shocks, I have not seen this one, but I remember it getting a lot of good reactions when it came out. This also brings Mads Mikkelson's... I mean Denmark's film tally up to...well, one.   

Not a lot to comment on as it's a debut, but this is a solid starting block before we see if there is any rise or fall next time. 

10 - India

10 - Japan

7 - France

4 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Denmark

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

56th Another Round (Denmark) 6 Votes: 127 Points

2020 Position: Not Eligible

(Covid really did fuck international film industries didn't it. I think this is the first new film)

mRUGTb.png

Safe bet, going for the alcohol.

This almost feels like something out of India, the music style, the interactions with the scenery and extras and such.

In more shocks, I have not seen this one, but I remember it getting a lot of good reactions when it came out. This also brings Mads Mikkelson's... I mean Denmark's film tally up to...well, one.   

Not a lot to comment on as it's a debut, but this is a solid starting block before we see if there is any rise or fall next time. 

10 - India

10 - Japan

7 - France

4 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Poland 

1 - China