YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I rewatched Fast Five a few days ago and in that movie, The Rock still gives his best perfomance to date imo. Hes like a walking and shouting and driving bottle of Testosterone, but he plays the part seriously enough that it doesnt seem like hes a parody, which i feel like he has somewhat become in recent years. Dont get me wrong, i think hes likable and entertaining to watch, but the kind of raw energy that he omitted in Fast Five seems kind of gone.

I really enjoy the Fast movies but after 5 and 6, Hobbs stops being somewhat his own character and just becomes The Rock, more sillier and charming father guy

Pain and Gain is still Rock at his best imo, was hilarious as a coked out jesus freak criminal. Probably the last time i really liked Marky mark too

Edited by Jackstraw
  • Like 5

@VENOM you do realize its not what your opinion of the film is but how you approach it that matters in discussion? Your posts read like the film killed your puppy. We get that you have a negative view of it's financials but its also a "give it a rest man" from the board. 

Doesn't help that you come back in and gripe about your opinion being curbed by the mods, when its not your opinion but your conversation behavior. 

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

We don't know the budget. I don't buy those 200M numbers floating around. WB would never give that much money to an unknown superhero. The Batman budget was under 100M. I assume BA budget is around that

Why would the trades make up a movie's budget? Plus The Batman's estimated to have a 185-200M budget.

1 minute ago, exomassey said:

I’m just using it as an example that mostly fanboys score in the audience thing

But it’s not only fanboys that’s what we’re telling you. It’s not like IMDb where you can make multiple accounts or like the Snyder cut where the score could have been manipulated by people who may not have seen the movie. Verified scores are from anyone who has purchased a ticket, could be a fan, could be an average joe. 

Of course fans are scoring the movie but the point is it isn’t easily manipulated as you have to have at least purchased a ticket to score the movie. 

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@VENOM you do realize its not what your opinion of the film is but how you approach it that matters in discussion? Your posts read like the film killed your puppy. We get that you have a negative view of it's financials but its also a "give it a rest man" from the board. 

Doesn't help that you come back in and gripe about your opinion being curbed by the mods, when its not your opinion but your conversation behavior. 

You’re now projecting.. nothing in my opinion reads the way you’ve imagined it in your head. That’s a you problem.. I just stick to what’s infront of me.

Edited by VENOM
  • Haha 2

Solidish weekend across the board it would appear - strictly talking grosses, not budgets 🤣. Its also weekends like this that highlight how the dirth of product has floated the boats of all, once 2 films of broader appeal open, the rest have to give up screens and seats as evident by the across the board middling holds. 

That Halloween Drop  though 😂😂😂 while I don't post much anymore, I was definitely in the not gonna touch 80% camp. 

Heres to hoping for solid holds for BA and TTP in the weeks ahead. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Adam said:

Why would the trades make up a movie's budget? Plus The Batman's estimated to have a 185-200M budget.

Well, I mean if we want the budget the trades were reporting, we can be accurate and say Black Adam's budget was $195M.

"With a $195 million production budget, the weeks ahead remain imperative for the box office success of “Black Adam.” The film won’t face much heavyweight competition until Marvel’s “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” hits theaters on Nov. 11."

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/black-adam-projected-opening-dc-ticket-to-paradise-1235411428/

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

But you're using the wrong metric. Zack Sniders JL only has regular audience rating. The one people care about is the verified audience rating.

I’m just saying most general audiences don’t actually score these things on any website, I don’t think that’s wrong to say 

5 minutes ago, cax16 said:

But it’s not only fanboys that’s what we’re telling you. It’s not like IMDb where you can make multiple accounts or like the Snyder cut where the score could have been manipulated by people who may not have seen the movie. Verified scores are from anyone who has purchased a ticket, could be a fan, could be an average joe. 

Of course fans are scoring the movie but the point is it isn’t easily manipulated as you have to have at least purchased a ticket to score the movie. 

Yeah I know it’s not as easily manipulated but if we’re being honest, general audiences don’t score these things on rotten tomatoes. 

10 minutes ago, exomassey said:

I’m just using it as an example that mostly fanboys score in the audience thing

But it's the same across all movies, that only the most passionate viewers, whether they be positive or negative, are going to take the time to vote on RT, so in that context it at least gives you a measure of relative strength and that is a useful metric, IMO.

I went and saw BA with a bunch of people on opening night and most of the reactions were of the "Eh, it was okay/pretty good" variety, which was pretty much the way I felt about it, but there's no denying that it has struck a chord with others given that audience score and a 8.81 multiplier.

• Like 2

Just now, exomassey said:

I’m just saying most general audiences don’t actually score these things on any website, I don’t think that’s wrong to say 

But that's every film. The number in and of itself is worthless. How it relates to other films and especially other films in the genre is what's important. If 95% of superhero films was getting 99, then getting 95 would be a shit rt score despite being a high score in absolute terms.

Thor L&T got 77, that's not horrible in and of itself but it lands it towards the bottom of SH films, hence why it's a shit score.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Yeah I know it’s not as easily manipulated but if we’re being honest, general audiences don’t score these things on rotten tomatoes. 

But in rare instances, on both extremes, its the rate online crowd that drives ultimate word of mouth anymore. The film has to be bottom barrel bad or double A++ for it to be the general audience crowd and even then, Woman King is a current example of that only going so far. 

33 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I rewatched Fast Five a few days ago and in that movie, The Rock still gives his best perfomance to date imo. Hes like a walking and shouting and driving bottle of Testosterone, but he plays the part seriously enough that it doesnt seem like hes a parody, which i feel like he has somewhat become in recent years. Dont get me wrong, i think hes likable and entertaining to watch, but the kind of raw energy that he omitted in Fast Five seems kind of gone.

Fast five is the best fast and furious film hands down and a really solid fun blockbuster.