Eric S'ennui

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

11 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I'm thinking Saturday is going to be underwhelming. When sales are going strong there's usually more chatter but it's an utter ghost town here.

Thinking around $54M, a slight drop from Friday.

54 is likely, but has nothing to do with the amount of chatter on BOT

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I'm thinking Saturday is going to be underwhelming. When sales are going strong there's usually more chatter but it's an utter ghost town here.

Thinking around $54M, a slight drop from Friday.

Would that be underwhelming? The general impression I got was that we expected a such drop? I got the impression we would go even lower

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

It just occurred to me that the November record is going down this weekend. Nice to see, although Catching Fire will probably end up with more admissions for OW when all is said and done. God, that franchise was a beast in the early 2010s lol.

Yeah CF weekend probably worth like 210-230 now. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

54 is likely, but has nothing to do with the amount of chatter on BOT

What I'm saying is if the number was impressive, the usual suspects would be stopping by which gets extra chatter going. 

Am I wrong?

1 hour ago, GOGODanca said:

It's a ghost town cause there's nothing to discuss until we get a number

Right. And I'm saying when the day is looking really good usually we get earlier, more frequent updates. The fact we aren't - which is totally fine - points to the fact the number isn't going to be anything unexpected. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by Verrows

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

Would that be underwhelming? The general impression I got was that we expected a such drop? I got the impression we would go even lower

Maybe underwhelming wasn't the right word. Uneventful? Unremarkable?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Right. And I'm saying when the day is looking really good usually we get earlier, more frequent updates. The fact we aren't - which is totally fine - points to the fact the number isn't going to be anything unexpected. That's all I'm saying.

late night is best for updates  cause you can be more accurate, also the numbers for black panther aren't looking to be disappointing which would drive discussion or super duper high which would also do that 

Edited by GOGODanca
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GOGODanca said:

EmpireCity was the only who gave super early updates atleast since I've been here, late night is best cause you can be more accurate, also the numbers for black panther aren't looking to be disappointing which would drive discussion or super duper high which would also do that 

Ahh, that explains it.

And I do agree that a later, more accurate update is probably for the best. I'm just starving for numbers haha. Besides actually seeing the movie it's been a pretty boring weekend with nothing going on for me 🤣

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Regarding the World Cup: While the buzz is extremely muted because of obvious reasons, i do think the overall view numbers across Europe/Latin America/Asia wont be dramatically lower than the last World Cup, even if a ton of people "officially" plan to boycott it. In the end, its a World Cup, it will be seen by a billion people worldwide. But i think theres a high chance, that a ton of people will only watch the games of their national team instead of catching the games of other nations as well and view numbers could especially take a downturn if some new major controversy would erupt while the WC is played - which i think is very likely.

I hope im making sense here, but in short i think the effect of the World Cup for the Worldwide box office numbers will be felt, but it wont be as big as a normal World Cup.

You make sense. I do wonder how much major cities not doing their public big screens for games might effect the overall viewership in those countries. I believe Spain, France, and Germany are among those not doing them. In removing the "community" aspect of the whole event, perhaps while the same people will watch the games, they won't be spending all day at events, freeing up time. Especially with the holidays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Ahh, that explains it.

And I do agree that a later, more accurate update is probably for the best. I'm just starving for numbers haha. Besides actually seeing the movie it's been a pretty boring weekend with nothing going on for me 🤣

I feel you. Really miss the days when OW thread page count frequently go by the hundreds for mega releases. 

6 hours ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

That applies to vast majority of blockbusters. Even with poor-ish reception, they are matching "peak" MCU. That doesn't seem like some sort of massive downward trend. Especially with a bunch of different variables that don't apply to the Phase 3 flicks. It's not like SW, which saw massive drop offs starting with TLJ.

"Peak MCU"

Multiverse of Madness doing only 955 isn't peak MCU, it's Peak DCEU. Last time a movie which opened over 160 million and missed 1 Billion was Batman vs Superman, and that's the club Dr Strange has joined.

I don't think people are concerned about MCU being in downward trends currently, box office underperformance of current movies is concern but bigger thing is that eventually if they continue like this then they WILL go down.

4 minutes ago, K'uk'ulkan XXR said:

He had no choice in the matter. 

He had a choice to act reasonable after the relatively short initial ban period was up and instead burnt that bridge down like a retreating Russian army

• Like 1