Eric Prime

Mickey 17 || Warner || January 31, 2025 || Directed by Bong Joon Ho - Starring Robert Pattinson

On 6/9/2024 at 2:27 PM, JimmyB said:

Seems obvious WB has no idea what to do with this movie or how to market it and are dumping it.   They didnt even give it an MLK spot like prior January dumps Green Hornet or Dolittle.

weirdly Sony apparently spent $115m in global P&A for Hornet (though I suspect sony hack numbers are higher than trades)

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

After discovering that WB wasn’t confident in Beetlejuice and wanted it to be a Max release until close to shooting, it’ll be hilarious if this ended up doing solid business as well after they dump it in January for thinking it’ll also flop.

That article was talking about the last 10 years. It was the prior regime that wanted it to be a straight to streaming movie. De Luca and Abdy have made good moves. It’s also releasing basically February not exactly dumping ground and it’ll have premium screens because of it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

That article was talking about the last 10 years. It was the prior regime that wanted it to be a straight to streaming movie. De Luca and Abdy have made good moves. It’s also releasing basically February not exactly dumping ground and it’ll have premium screens because of it.

Really? It reads like prior shooting they wanted a Max release because it would cost 150M and Warner though it would flop. And then Andy and De Luca manage a theatrical release if Burton could reduce the budget to 100M, which is what happened. 

It slightly feels like a dump such an expensive movie from an auteur releasing in late January, but yeah, it’ll have basically non competition which maybe is the best decision commercially afterall. 

This is destined to bomb, but I love that Bong used that Parasite blank check to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a weirdo sci-fi comedy that will play to niche audiences. That's what these auteurs need to do instead of being stuck in the nostalgic toy commercial industrial complex for all eternity.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Eric the Marxist said:

This is destined to bomb, but I love that Bong used that Parasite blank check to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a weirdo sci-fi comedy that will play to niche audiences. That's what these auteurs need to do instead of being stuck in the nostalgic toy commercial industrial complex for all eternity.

And I love that he seems fully aware that it’s niche because he’s already working in a Korean animation as a follow up lol. 

I do think audiences overall won’t like it, but seems very much like his weird earlier movies, should be well received critically. I’m happy he got Final Cut and Zaslav can’t destroy it for a few bucks.

Edited by ThomasNicole