charlie Jatinder

Weekdays (03-05 Jan, 2023) Thread. | Talk about the New York Giants in here!

37 minutes ago, hw64 said:

It also had a Thursday of $1.65m which Avatar 2 will quadruple, and bigger numbers = lower multipliers. Not to mention the fact that Return of the King's third Thursday was 4 days further removed from the end of the holiday period than Avatar 2's, which, as other people have pointed out, makes a huge difference in the behaviour of the first post-holiday week. Avatar 2's third Thursday will be artificially bloated a bit by its proximity to the end of the holidays (only 3 days prior) compared to Return of the King's third Thursday which was 7 days (and an entire weekend) removed from the end of the holidays.

I don't think looking at Return of the King's Thursday-to-weekend multiplier is a good idea at all here, even if you're just splitting the difference between it and a more appropriate comp.

I agree it's certainly hard to find good comparisons, but not "at all"? Seems at least as good a comparator as other movies being talked about. 

Some questions to ponder:

What does 1.65M of 2003 regular format ticket sales translate to in 2022 with PLF premiums? Is it 1/4 the admissions?

Unless we're counting the opening weekend (ROTK opened on a Wednesday), ROTK's third Thursday was on Jan. 8. It was also during the first week after the holidays, like A2, as New Years landed on the previous Friday instead of Sunday (for A2).

Incidentally, can we quantify how much the distance from the holidays affects the Thu multiplier? It seems like Charlie gave us a sense of where the inflation was coming from: Canada--which I already mentioned. 

Consider that RO saw WTW drops very similar to (if not a bit lighter) than ROTK. A2 is holding better than both.

Not here trying to say how I'm looking at it is absolutely right. But dismissing outright seems a bit harsh.

Edited by LinksterAC

3 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Huh 🤔 

Let’s see how it goes (and this isn’t an invitation for you to be cringe about early numbers!) but if things remain as they are, I wouldn’t be shocked at $7M today. 

if the same number of people are off-work / off-school on thurs as wednesday this is the drop I would expect based on previous A2 weeks

Wasn't expecting Wednesday numbers to go up so much from how they initially looked. Wow! Definitely on the 40M+ train for the weekend now. Using Rogue One's Wednesday to 4th Weekend ratio gets it to 38.5M. 

55 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Huh 🤔 

Let’s see how it goes (and this isn’t an invitation for you to be cringe about early numbers!) but if things remain as they are, I wouldn’t be shocked at $7M today. 

I'm taking full credit if this pans out!

2 hours ago, Dragoncaine said:

Imagine a $7m Thursday with this projected multiplier 😲

Edited by Dragoncaine