CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

30 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I will say it doesn’t take a crystal ball to know something like Spotlight wouldn’t be remembered. Sometimes it is obvious. 

I mean I remember Spotlight. My parents remember it too. I don't see a reason why it would be forgotten by the masses (and for the record, I don't want an explanation why), but you do you I guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3RIC said:

I mean I remember Spotlight. My parents remember it too. I don't see a reason why it would be forgotten by the masses (and for the record, I don't want an explanation why), but you do you I guess.

It was forgotten by the masses as soon as it came out lol. You can say you enjoy the movie, but you can’t say it wasn’t collectively forgotten about in the zeitgeist pretty instantly. 

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

The Fabelmans has a 40mil budget, and is going to make 20mil WW.

Not often you see something like that with a SS film.

I guess he just makes films he wants to make now, instead of appeasing global audiences. Would be interesting if he went back to doing mega blockbusters.

It's rare to have a director like James Cameron who happens to like what the people like.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

There are no relevant themes nor messages in Mav.

Only good old fashioned American rhetoric.

I said it again: I liked it for what it was.

And again... it is not relevant for you. I personally really liked the discussion of AI substituting humans and the place for soldiers in the future of the army and dealing with the loss of a parent, for example.
Also, I don't see why a movie HAS to have a relevant message in order to be a great movie and deserving of winning best picture. Avatar having an anti-war message and Maverick being supposedly just a "make us proud and measuring dicks" (which I disagree) are not determinant factors in being a great movie at all IMO.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I guess he just makes films he wants to make now, instead of appeasing global audiences. Would be interesting if he went back to doing mega blockbusters.

It's rare to have a director like James Cameron who happens to like what the people like.

Ready Player One was just 4 years ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TFA is probably the shining beacon to me for a nostalgia driven blockbuster that  didn’t just  rely on that to be effective. The new characters were fantastic in that movie in their own right.

Wow, that's... an interesting take considering it was heavily criticized for overreliance on nostalgia and repeating plot points of New Hope. But I'll give you Kylo Ren, he was the best thing in those movies for me :) Not sure about Ray and Finn though.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Spielberg was my fave for a lot of years, all through my childhood., teens, and early 20's.

For whatever reason he decided to start making more personal films 20 years ago (with the odd exception of course), and its a shame as he's 74 now and probably doesnt have many summer blockbusters left in him, if he even wanted to make them anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

The Fabelmans has a 40mil budget, and is going to make 20mil WW.

Not often you see something like that with a SS film.

Spielberg i think has gotten to a point quite some years ago where he is more interested in personal passion projects than blockbuster filmmaking. Films like The Fabelmans, West Side Story or The Post arent arent really made for global audiences, they have far more specialized audiences.

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

Spielberg i think has gotten to a point quite some years ago where he is more interested in personal passion projects than blockbuster filmmaking. Films like The Fabelmans, West Side Story or The Post arent arent really made for global audiences, they have far more specialized audiences.

Every so often he'll throw out a Ready Player One to make sure he can keep freedom the rest of the time. 

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Spielberg was my fave for a lot of years, all through my childhood., teens, and early 20's.

For whatever reason he decided to start making more personal films 20 years ago (with the odd exception of course), and its a shame as he's 74 now and probably doesnt have many summer blockbusters left in him, if he even wanted to make them anyway.

Isn't that what we want though? Shouldn't we want directors to have the opportunities to make movies they want to make and are happy about doing? Feel like that's more important than what we want them to do and that we should control them.

• Like 3
  • Heart 2
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

And again... it is not relevant for you. I personally really liked the discussion of AI substituting humans and the place for soldiers in the future of the army and dealing with the loss of a parent, for example.
Also, I don't see why a movie HAS to have a relevant message in order to be a great movie and deserving of winning best picture. Avatar having an anti-war message and Maverick being supposedly just a "make us proud and measuring dicks" (which I disagree) are not determinant factors in being a great movie at all IMO.

We are talking AA here and the significance of a film and/or its messages are huge factors.

Also, one line by Harris and now the AI stuff is a theme? Oooook…

Edited by Mr Roark

Just now, 3RIC said:

Isn't that what we want though? Shouldn't we want directors to have the opportunities to make movies they want to make and are happy about doing? Feel like that's more important than what we want them to do and that we should control them.

Totally agree. For example i would personally love to see Cameron doing different movies than the Avatar sequels but he clearly wants to make them and stay with this project for the coming years, so good for him!

1 minute ago, 3RIC said:

no need to go all holier than thou other someone wishing a director made movies more tailored for them.

46 minutes ago, Xavier said:

How can it be miscalculated if the son of the real person she is playing is behind the camera?

I thought it was miscalculated as to its impact on the viewer. I'm sure Michelle Williams, one of our best living actresses, did an accurate impression of Spielberg's mother. I just found the performance overly theatrical at nearly every turn - which works wonderfully in retrospect based on what we now know about her character in the film's first half, but once the cards are laid out on the table in the second half, so to speak, the theatricality of her performance failed to register with me emotionally. Hence, miscalculated. She's going to get an Oscar nom so obviously I'm in the minority here, but I'm also not the first person to say this.

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It was forgotten by the masses as soon as it came out lol. You can say you enjoy the movie, but you can’t say it wasn’t collectively forgotten about in the zeitgeist pretty instantly. 

Spotlight made almost $100m worldwide. Weird movie to single out for this imo

6 minutes ago, 3RIC said:

Considering how absurdly varied Spielberg's filmography is, I think that's what he has always done to be honest? Like, I've never exactly felt Spielberg was stuck doing projects he didn't want to make honestly. He just used to be more successful at it (but then again, it was a different time back then, certainly much less hostile to original films...and Spielberg himself was better imho, but alas).

Edited by JustLurking

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah for sure.

Its just a shame for me as Spielberg pretty much created the 'summer blockbuster'. And there was a time where his name was a bigger pull than even grade A actors.

These days its more like 'Spielberg?, is he still making movies?'.

I wouldnt like to say its a waste of talent and a career, as he has had an amazing career overall. Just a bit of a lame last 20 years for me, and a bit of a waste of a man that has an amazing imagination and knack of what the audience likes.

Cameron has basically overtaken him now, in that sense.

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I just dont see how that matters at all.