filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Damn, Ana De Armas got nominated for Blonde? Admittedly, I haven’t seen the movie, and I don’t really plan to, but that comes across as a rather odd decision. 

Not really, she was praised despite the movie being panned and was also playing Marilyn Monroe. It's a role that's good for nominations at least since fellow nominee Michelle Williams was also nominated for playing her in another no1curr biopic 11 years ago.

12 minutes ago, M37 said:

Given it’s a directors guild nom, all the talk of the budget and scope of the work may have been a deterrent, in that the use of $500M and 4K workers is less a directing achievement and more of CEO/producer role, preferring to reward those who had far less resources at their disposal, aka “true directors”

Then they are clueless.

There has never been a film production this big where a director has control of every creative aspect. Every single shot, every single peice of music, all the production design went through Jim and he shot the scenes too. He did the scenes twice, once for the performance capture. Then he takes his physical virtual camera and places the camera where he wants. Splitting the shooting into two phases means he work with the actors much closer and focus on their performance. Jim is literally innovating how directing is done in films with performance capture. These people are clowns.

He scaled it up to adsurbed levels and yet kept doing the "true director" role. Something no one else could have done.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Damn, Ana De Armas got nominated for Blonde? Admittedly, I haven’t seen the movie, and I don’t really plan to, but that comes across as a rather odd decision. 

Bad performance in a bad movie, but it's not De Armas' fault. It's just because Andrew Dominik is a moron who blatantly refuses to give Norma Jeane a character outside of "idiot who gets abused by men", because he can't see a woman as anything but a vessel to be controlled by other men. But it's a real-life person and that will get you far for even the worst performance.

Very annoying Deadwyler got excluded for that mess.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

The top 2 contenders in Best Animated Feature are likely not Disney or Pixar between Pinocchio and Marcel. That feels unprecedented.

yeah i would say turning red is like 4th in that category puss in boots is probably ahead of it too.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not really, she was praised despite the movie being panned and was also playing Marilyn Monroe. It's a role that's good for nominations at least since fellow nominee Michelle Williams was also nominated for playing her in another no1curr biopic 11 years ago.

Ok, but Danielle Deadwyler played a real person too. 

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

I'm a little surprised they nominated (and she's the fav to win) ANgela Bassett in a action Marvel movie and no nom for  action Cruise. and that in favour of Mescal mopping in Turkey for two hours or so

It's because Bassett has the kind of "showy" performance we usually see in Oscar movies, it just happens to be in a Marvel movie. Cruise was doing what he's been doing for the last several years, even if he's good at it. We all know that "HAVE I NOT GIVEN EVERYTHING?!" is going to be her clip.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Then they are clueless.

There has never been a film production this big where a director has control of every creative aspect. Every single shot, every single peice of music, all the production design went through Jim and he shot the scenes too.

He scaled it up to adsurbed levels and yet kept doing the "true director" role. Something no one else could have done.

I don't disagree, just speculating on the cause and effect.  People who have never been in that role presume it to be a much easier lift with all those extra hands (and $$$), rather than a larger burden to shoulder. Or not wanting to nominate here and feel boxed in for the rest of the series

Like y'all know I'm no Avatar stan, and while I can come up with reasons/explanations as to why, doesn't mean I agree with the result

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like the signs were there for Ana when the Razzies didn't nominate her despite Blonde being up for seemingly everything else lol. Oh well, happy to see her become a nominee at least.

I mean, she's by far the best part of a truly abominable film - unlike the director, she at least recognizes that Marilyn Monroe was, y'know, a human being. It's just unfortunate that she made it in at the expense of a superior performance that looked like it had a lot of heat earlier in the season.

Best Director winner 2018 Del Toro on Avatar: The Way of Water.

it's technically an artistically so complicated and complex and beautiful. If you told me I have to shoot one of the final sequences in the movie or lose my life, I would start to arrange for a coffin. Because it's incredibly... it's flabbergasting.

Biggest snub is James Cameron for best director

Edited by IronJimbo